Building an ST1300 from the ground up.

OP
OP
Anyone ever rebuild the preload collar on the shock? I was bleeding the preload system on the shock and got the collar to extend too far. It allowed the o-ring to push out past the end of the inner body and when that happened, all pressure was lost, allowing the spring to push the inner piston back into the body, cutting the o-ring.

I'm not seeing the o-ring as a part listed, so I'm wondering if anyone's dealt with this and where an o-ring was sourced from. I'm going to make a few calls tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic on finding a replacement.

It takes me longer to get the tools out of my tool box than it does to get the shock out and I was joking with a friend about not understanding why all the ST guys complain about how hard it is to remove. :)

OP
OP
Today was a good day.

First, I was able to find a local solution to the o-ring for cheap. Second, the spacer came in and everything went back together. I threw a screw driver in the tail and took the bike for a 70 mile ride and within about 30 miles, I had both ends dialed in.

I ended up with zero preload on the spring (I'm 170 w/o gear and bike is 525 wet), and the rebound right about 1.5 turns hard from full soft. I am very happy with these settings because that means I have room to play should I ever put someone on the back. The rear now works well with the front. It still has that awesome snappiness and sure- footed planted feel that I loved with the stock spring, but now that I have some sag in the rear suspension, the front lost all hints of being twitchy. I said before that it perhaps needs a steering damper. Now I know it doesn't. I will admit that I'm spoiled by the full Ohlins suspension on my RC51, but what I have on the ST is pretty damn well sorted considering its origins and original purpose.

348 miles of riding, no leaks, suspension is dialed in, and I'm going to call this a wrap on the mechanical end of things. It is ready for the final details. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks! The mufflers have broken in a bit and it's even more raunchy and in your face now.

I've done about 610 miles and the only issue I'm having is finding enough time to get my fill on this thing. With the new spring, I've started stretching her legs a bit in the turns and have started to see some limitations. It's far more capable than I thought, and is absolutely brilliant considering that the front end was never intended to work with this bike and that I'm asking the rear to do far more than it was designed to do. One handling characteristic I'm enjoying is how the front end gets shorter as I roll on the gas coming out of a turn. This is my first shaft drive bike, so I'm used to everything running wide on exit. It's taken a little getting used to, but is probably easier to learn than GP shift, honestly. I was going to leave the suspension "stock," but I really think that this bike deserves Ohlins internals for the forks and a Penske 8987 shock.

Fun story:
I was waiting for some riding buddies to show up at our usual meeting spot when a kid who appeared to be eight or ten walked over to the bike, crouched down and started eyeballing it really closely. I thought he was going to climb on it but instead, he stood up and asked me if it was a V4. I said it was, complimented him on his keen eye and asked how he knew. He said that the two header pipes per side gave it away, but he was confused why the engine was sideways compared to other bikes. I explained that it was shaft drive, and he said, "cool!" and ran off to catch up with his family getting in their car.

I let a few of the guys ride the bike and every one came back with a grin. Feedback ranged from, "dude... awesome," to "I want one," to "OMG, so much torque!" That last one was from a guy who'd never ridden anything bigger than a 600.

The trackday on the 1st can't come soon enough- they're doing the full 3.4 mile course at Miller. :-D

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Have fun on the track, will there be video to forward to?
Your build has made me wonder if I am up to doing something other than just getting my parked ST 1100 back on the road. Doing something along your approach would be fun, then I think about my lack of experience building.

OP
OP
Yep, I'll have on bike footage. A friend with an S1000RR is coming out, so if he can keep up with me, I'll get some bike to bike shots as well.

At the start of my project, I had considered an ST11 because I was offered one locally in one piece and good shape for a real song and a dance. Ultimately, the EFI, more power, aluminum frame and swing arm, and what I consider a more attractive engine and set of headers swayed me towards the ST13. However, the ST11 has much potential.

That's a picture I found from a google search. Not sure if that's anyone's here or not, but if it his, hi. The steel frame and swing arm and shock location have a real retro feel to them. If I were to do something with what's pictured above, I'd lean towards a retromodern cafe racer. Being a steel frame, that's easy to work with and add metal to or whatnot. A $112 Harbor Freight MIG welder would have you rollin'. The welds won't be pretty, but that's what grinders and paint are for. ;) Anyway, I'd maybe run some tubes from where the frame turns down behind the engine back to where the shock mounts to the frame. That'll get you a somewhat level, somewhat straight platform to build on. For a tank, I'd have to go walk through a local MC boneyard and find one that talked to me, but maybe something from a Kawi or an '80's Honda since they're blocky tanks that'd fit the lines of blocky cylinder heads. For a tail, maybe the same thing- something blocky. Not one of those round, quarter sphere tails you see all the hipsters putting on their CBs, but something off a KZ or a CB1100F. Actually, the CB1100F tail would be pretty neat because it has that pseudo- whale tail. Now that I'm googling pictures of a CB1100F, I'm looking at the tank, side covers, seat and tail, and overall proportions of the bike and you know what...?

I think all that would work on an ST11. You might have to modify the bottom of the tank to work with the ST11 frame, but that's some easy sheet metal work and who cares what it looks like because nobody would ever see it. I think that'd be a pretty cool, relatively simple project with minimal mods to the ST frame.

Suspension- wise, you could leave it be, or you could do a fork swap like I did. If the ST11 is like the ST13, it's a very simple procedure to get a different front end on there. You'll lose weight and gain better damping and brakes. Since the swing arm is steel, some inverted bracing kind of like on the old Superbikes would be pretty sweet looking if you painted it silver.

For the exhaust, you might be able to pull off a scrambler style exhaust by using flex pipe and then wrapping it with heat wrap. Instead of the headers going down, wrap them up and around the front of the engine and over the top of the heads, then tuck 'em up under the rear of the tank, and then back out from under the tail. Fun fact: If you ever see some done up cafe racer with a unique routing of the exhaust, and the exhaust is wrapped, there's a 99% chance they just used flex pipe to make it happen. ;)

Anyway, that's just what all comes to mind after looking at the above two pictures. YMMV.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the 1100.
Mine is an ABS bike, but loosing the proportioning valves and related electrics would make it less of a challenge to build.
Something to think about for sure as mine is a salvage title and the likelihood of finding a buy for it as is is pretty slim.

OP
OP
Any time! The salvage title does reduce its value, but if it's in good mechanical shape, there's plenty of people willing to overlook that for the sake of an even lower price on a bike they want.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Any time! The salvage title does reduce its value, but if it's in good mechanical shape, there's plenty of people willing to overlook that for the sake of an even lower price on a bike they want.
Yep, I have considered offering it for sale as is with the acquired plastic and faring stay. It's an ABS bike with only 57K so it would be a good cheap project for someone that didn't mind taking some time to get it back on the road.
I ruined a sweet 72 Triumph Tiger that started first kick and didn't leak oil by putting it in a weld on hard tail frame. I am reluctant to do the same thing with this ST when all it needs is someone with the time to show it the love it deserves.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I've been waiting for years for this particular configuration out at Miller. I'm so stoked, just two weeks away!

Four point five miles! That's half again longer than I had to bike to school as a kid. That's about twice as long as many international airport runways. That's more than a lot of people commute to work.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/track-maps.html

:D

Wow! That track looks awesome. They even have a moto and cart track there. I don't think you'll be hitting 200+ mph on the straight with the ST though.:D

OP
OP
I've had it up to 133 MPH and it was still pulling hard, but I can't remember how many revs I was turning at that speed. My RC51 hits right around 165- 170 on that full straight at MMP, so I'm guessing this thing will be in the 150 range. I'll let you know what I top out at. One of the cool features of that Koso gauge is that it does a top speed/ max RPM readout.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I've had it up to 133 MPH and it was still pulling hard, but I can't remember how many revs I was turning at that speed. My RC51 hits right around 165- 170 on that full straight at MMP, so I'm guessing this thing will be in the 150 range. I'll let you know what I top out at. One of the cool features of that Koso gauge is that it does a top speed/ max RPM readout.
Now that is getting down the road in a hurry!! Enjoy that ride.

OP
OP
ST engines are rev limited, so I do believe 149 is your top unless you reprogram the ECU.
The fuel cut is at 9500 RPM, and in 5th with the 180/55 tire I have on the back, that's good for 173 MPH according to my math. Unless you mean that there's a speed limiter?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The fuel cut is at 9500 RPM, and in 5th with the 180/55 tire I have on the back, that's good for 173 MPH according to my math. Unless you mean that there's a speed limiter?

Nope, not speed limiter, there is on the police models, I was talking about the rev limiter.

Hmm... my math, just based on 4k rpm at 70mph, calculates out at 166mph. But I'm running a 205/50.

Either way... I don't think we have the hp or the aerodynamics to hit those two speeds.
I thought I had read somewhere somebody did run it wide open and she hit the rev limiter at 150.
Can't find any evidence of that now.

Top Bottom