Bunkhouse XL camper

Bike
2003 ST1300
My wife and I purchased a bunkhouse xl camper last year. I plan on going out West with my '03 ST but am not sure that it can pull the weight. I know I'd need to watch my load location and total weight but, other than that, has anyone pulled a bunkhouse? Thanks!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I pulled one behind my 2008 Wing. There’s not that much difference between the weight and power of the two bikes.

John

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Back when I still had my '06 ST, I pulled a Bunkhouse from Butte Montana to Redmond Washington to east Ontario and back home to Canton Ohio (7,000 + miles). I did have the brake system on the trailer, but the ST pulled it as well as my Gold Wing.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Not very active, but this site may offer some additional info...

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I pulled a Time Out camper behind my Gold Wing and then later pulled a Kompact Kamp Mini Mate behind my ST1100. The Mini Mate is a bit lighter than the Bunkhouse but I'm sure it will pull just fine and the ST, either one, has plenty of grunt to pull it. Just remember that your stopping distances will be a lot longer as will your acceleration be slower. It is very likely the only time you really notice the trailer behind you is during those times... and also if you happen to ride over some really rough road where the bumps that the camper wheels ride over are somewhat amplified through the bike frame. But on smooth roads and at speed it becomes almost invisible. Definitely take care with load distribution and pack the trailer so there is about 30 lbs weight on the tongue/hitch coupling (maybe a few lbs more more since the Bunkhouse is heavier overall). You can experiment with that a little higher or lower to fine tune the ride. I used a fish scale to measure and found that for me my camper rode best with 26-27 lbs tongue weight. Make sure the load won't shift once you have it all placed to achieve the tongue weight you want. I also tried to limit what I put on the bike when I pulled the camper since everything I needed fit in the camper and less packed on the bike improved handling. I only kept what was essential, tire plug and pump kits, rain suits, tools were about all I packed in the bike saddlebags. The top case was kept empty for holding helmets when stopped and there was plenty of room in both to hold groceries if I stopped before arriving at the campsite.

Sometimes I think I'd like to start pulling a Mini Mate camper again... but then I really don't camp as much as would call for spending that much to buy a camper and hitch.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My friend back around 1998 was pulling a trailer with his GoldWing 1500 . He pulled out of one road onto another in a right hand turn , in the rain , witnesses said the trailer fishtailed & pulled the G.W. into on-coming lane & car . killed him . Wasn't a Bunk House brand but probably wouldn't have been that much of a difference in that scenario . Watch out when you make a turn when it's raining !
Coincidently I also have a like new BunkHouse Trailer , But after my friend's death , I only pull it with my Outback(s) , considerably heavier to be affected by a tiny trailer .

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The ST Owner's Manual expressly states that the ST is not designed or intended to pull trailers of any sort or any size. This may be language inserted by the Hondal Legal Department to expressly remove them from any liability. In the U.S. at least, any attorney worth their fee would use that language to completely absolve anyone other than the operator of the bike from any level of guilt or financial responsibility in the event of an accident, while towing a trailer with the ST.

Note that Honda also never produced any trailer-related accessories for the ST- once again reinforcing their position that trailers and STs do not mix.

Make of that what you will. I'm not saying do, I'm not saying don't. I'm saying that you should expect / be prepared to take full and sole legal and financial responsibility if ANYTHING goes wrong. Your insurance company's attorneys, among others, will not be your friends and allies.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The ST Owner's Manual expressly states that the ST is not designed or intended to pull trailers of any sort or any size. This may be language inserted by the Hondal Legal Department to expressly remove them from any liability. In the U.S. at least, any attorney worth their fee would use that language to completely absolve anyone other than the operator of the bike from any level of guilt or financial responsibility in the event of an accident, while towing a trailer with the ST.

Note that Honda also never produced any trailer-related accessories for the ST- once again reinforcing their position that trailers and STs do not mix.

Make of that what you will. I'm not saying do, I'm not saying don't. I'm saying that you should expect / be prepared to take full and sole legal and financial responsibility if ANYTHING goes wrong. Your insurance company's attorneys, among others, will not be your friends and allies.
I guess I should remove my top box and tires (as there are only 2 tire manufactures / models that are acceptable for the bike :) )

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Just curious, does it say anywhere a Goldwing can pull a trailer?
Not in the ST Owner's Manual. I've never seen a GW manual. Does Honda make trailer hitches and other related accessories for the Goldwing? Or are all of those third party products?

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I guess I should remove my top box and tires (as there are only 2 tire manufactures / models that are acceptable for the bike :) )
I know you are being facetious but there's a difference, in my mind at least, between omission (not mentioning a particular brand/model of tire) and explicit statements saying something is NOT supported.

And Honda made and sold top boxes for the ST, so they could not credibly claim that top boxes are not supported. They could claim that aftermarket, third-party products are not supported.

Reactions: Obo

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

The reality of living in modern America is we are inundated with lawyers ready and willing to sue you into insolvency for darned near anything. Frivolous or not, if someone has the thought to bring the case, you will be defending yourself in court. The Owners Manual says trailers AND sidecars are verboten. It also says max load is 386lbs. (ST1100) How many follow that? That rule leaves me with 136lbs for passenger and cargo. I guess I'm leaving anyone but small children at home. Given the trailers, sidecars and two-up touring that the ST has been subjected to, I'd say the legalese is to get Honda off the hook, and hang you on it. I guess it depends how risk averse you are, and how much you stand to lose. Risk can be mitigated by careful thought, planning and use of any modified machine. The financial stuff can be protected by moving assets into trusts, LLC's, etc. if you are so inclined. Other than that, Illegitimi non carborundum. Ride on.

RT

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I recall seeing somewhere that GW's pulling a trailer isn't supported either. I pulled both a Time Out and a luggage trailer behind both a 1500 and my current 1800 without any issues,( not at the same time of course). The GL1500 didn't like the TO in the mountains but was fine in the flatlands, the 1800 didn't care where we were riding. Since the HP on the 1800 and the ST1300 are about the same, I can't see a problem with the ST pulling a trailer. Just don't forget the trailer is back there. I don't believe Honda made hitches for the GW either. I know the hitches I had were both aftermarkets.

Attachments

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Not in the ST Owner's Manual. I've never seen a GW manual. Does Honda make trailer hitches and other related accessories for the Goldwing? Or all of those third party products?
This from the 2018 Gold Wing owner's manual. "We strongly advise that you do not add any accessories that were not specifically designed or approved for your motorcycle by Honda or make modifications to your motorcycle from its original design." That being said, I've had a hitch on 11 Gold Wings. The jury is still out as to whether I'll put one on the 12th one.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Had a GL1500. Trailers not allowed per Honda. Pulled one anyway. Have heard horror stories from relatives of friends about pulling a trailer but have only seen ONE accident involving a GW rider pulling a cargo trailer and that was entirely the rider's fault... not paying attention to where the wheels are in relation to a tall curb when turning in to a gas station. Flipped the trailer (he had a swivel coupler) and no other damage or issue than some road rash on the lid. Have known dozens of riders of all kinds of bikes pulling all kinds of trailers including teardrop campers with no issues. I even rode a few times with a guy riding a GW pulling large DUAL or TANDEM trailers that he made himself. He was a big rig driver so knew many of the pitfalls of dragging trailers. That blue GW behind the first trailer was mine. There is a sign on the back of the first trailer that states "If you can read this I lost the other one." Those trailers have real air bag shocks and there is a compressor in the box in front of the second trailer. Those trailers tracked perfectly behind the GW where ever it went. He could even do figure 8 s in intersections and the trailers would track like the whole rig was on tracks.

2004 Davis Rally 010.jpg

This is my ST1100 with Mini Mate camper. Note that the tongue needs to be level with the ground for best pulling. It looks a little high here but that because no one is sitting on the bike.
100_3087.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrwox
Bike
2003 ST1300
Thank you so much for the responses. It sounds like Honda is covering themselves from lawsuits (I can't blame them...) but I think it's OK as long as I am careful and keep the trailer width and weight in mind. I like the fish scale method of getting the correct tongue weight.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When I rode my BMW f650gs, we had a Chain Gang meetup in Arkansas.
One of our members towed his 650 on a simple flatbed trailer -- behind an old BMW R75/6.
I know, I'm lame.
Can't find the picture.

Top Bottom