Bunkhouse XL camper

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Page 5, para 5 of the European Version of the Owners Manual states

5. This motorcycle was not designed to pull a sidecar or trailer. Handling may be seriously impaired if so equipped.
"We strongly advise that you do not add any accessories that were not specifically designed or approved for your motorcycle by Honda or make modifications to your motorcycle from its original design."
Neither one of those statements implicitly state that you CAN NOT add a trailer or a sidecar but they do clearly say that Honda did not design our STs for such additions. I think my manual states that I can only load 10 lb. on the back rail. Well, that's the weight of my GIVI 52 litre trunk empty... so I'm at least 20 lb. over that spec too. superior scenic 1.jpg

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Neither one of those statements implicitly state that you CAN NOT add a trailer or a sidecar but they do clearly say that Honda did not design our STs for such additions.
...and furthermore, taking this into consideration, IF a manufacturer actually DID design a motorbike specifically to haul a trailer, I submit to you that hardly anyone would buy one.
OK, at least *I* wouldn't.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The ST1100 owners manual is clear "Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle." It is unequivocal. Mother Honda forbids it. Clearly it can be done, and safely, but the manufacturer has absolved themselves of any issues from you doing so. And yeah, I'd do it anyway!

RT

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only motorcycle (technically) that I've known to have been actually intended by the mfr to pull a trailer is the Can Am Spyder. The factory actually designed/made and offered a trailer hitch and wire harness for that trike as an option. I've seen at least 3 of these many years ago with the Can Am designed and sold trailer that matches the trike very nicely. There may be others but this is the only one I've known that has factory approval for pulling a trailer of any kind. I'm not saying they are the only maker you can do that with just that they designed that option into the Spyder.

Top Bottom