Burgman 650????

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
BTW - anyone interested in a super scooter but looking for something new there's a new one in the USA this year. The Burgman 650 was discontinued after the 2018 model.
I've wished Yamaha would bring the T-Max to the USA but not holding my breath. Kinda like the rest of you here waiting for a new ST1300 from Honda.
The new one that arrived this year (2021) is the Kymco AK 550. The only thing lacking that many riders seem to want is cruise control and an electric adjusting shield. I've never used CC much when I did have it and my current ride does have the electric adjusting shield but I only either put it all the way down in warm weather or most of the way up in cold... 2 positions. The AK 550 shield does adjust and has 2 positions but is a manual adjustment. It is a keyless system like the new GW models with a fob that allows the bike to start and gas cap cover or storage box to open. It has full LED lighting and something called Noodoe, which is a smartphone app that can BT to the bike and controls the central display. You can put a corrected speedo in the center, or GPS nav, or a multitude of other images like weather, a radar that shows nearby gas stations, etc. It has 15 inch wheels front and rear and comes stock with Metzeler tires. This scooter is likely the best super scooter currently available in the USA and highly rated in other countries. And the MSRP is lower than most super scooters in this class at $8999.

Kymco split from Honda back in 1963 and continued to make parts for Honda for many many years. They produced their first full scooter and motorcycle in 1970 and then finally marketed products under their own name in 1992. They made engines for BMW, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. The BMW C650 scooters USED to be really good machines. When BMW started using someone else for the engines for their BMW super scooter quality dropped like a rock and that scooter was nixed from the lineup. That was in 2017-2018 I think. Kymco has been number one in some European countries for many years and is in the top 5 scooter and motorcycle makers for all of Europe currently. They are very highly respected for a Taiwanese company (NOT China).

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The side view of the AK 550 looks like they had the TMax in their sights... At $9,000 list, the Kymco would be about $5,000 less than the new TMax if it were available here. My old 2009 TMax may outlive me, but if I needed to replace it, I would be quite happy with the AK.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
@ST Gui , Both the Burgman 650 and also the AK 550 have plenty of foot board to have your feet directly below you and possibly even with your heels a little under you if you want. I absolutely HATE foot forward controls and ergonomics on cruisers and V-Twins. BTDT many years ago on a Vulcan 750 and my back thanks me every ride after I rid myself of that one. But I found with owning 2 Burgman 650 scooters putting the feet forward, IF and when I want, is very different than riding on a cruiser even though it LOOKS like the same position.

@beemerphile , I really wish one of these years when I'm ready to replace what I have that Kymco brings the Bronze AK 550 to our shores. I really like that color ever since I saw the 2018 GW bagger come in that (almost identical) color. I know the T-Max has been around since 2000 and the Tech Max is the creme of the crop but not to be seen around here. It wouldn't surprise me if that was what Kymco was thinking with the AK. Oh, BTW, the name of the chairman of Kymco is Allen Ko. I've read in one review that is where that part of the model number comes from... maybe.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I wish Yamaha would bring in the T max too. Neat scooter. I had a 400 Majesty and liked it a lot. At this point however, at a soon to be 71 with some issues including arthritis in both hands, and a lack of suitable new scooters, I'm considering a 2021 NC 750x DCT. For 2021 is is lowered, ( need that being a munchkin) has more hp, more torque, led lights, self cancelling turn signals, bigger Frunk, rear trunk and bags available as acc, as well as factory heated grips. I think it's less money than that Kymco Scooter too.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I wish Yamaha would bring in the T max too. Neat scooter. I had a 400 Majesty and liked it a lot. At this point, however, at a soon-to-be 71 with some issues including arthritis in both hands, and a lack of suitable new scooters, I'm considering a 2021 NC 750x DCT. For 2021 is lowered, ( need that being a munchkin) has more hp, more torque, led lights, self-canceling turn signals, bigger Frunk, rear trunk, and bags available as acc, as well as factory heated grips. I think it's less money than that Kymco Scooter too.
Yamaha has brought the TMax and stopped its import twice already. I and a few other people bought one. They may know what they are doing. I had an NC700 and never adapted to it. With all the improvements, I wonder if the "economy" feel still remains in the suspension, handling, braking, and engine character? The rectangular box-tubing swingarm and chain drive need to go away as well. When I get there (I'm not far away) I am buying a shiny new Vespa GTS300 Touring. I will even forego the paper bag over my helmet as by that time one has fully earned the right to ditch the macho act.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
. I had an NC700 and never adapted to it. With all the improvements, I wonder if the "economy" feel still remains in the suspension, handling, braking, and engine character? The rectangular box-tubing swingarm and chain drive need to go away as well. When I get there (I'm not far away) I am buying a shiny new Vespa GTS300 Touring. I will even forego the paper bag over my helmet as by that time one has fully earned the right to ditch the macho act.
Well, it's an economical bike for Honda so you get budget stuff. It's not really made to be "exciting" it's made to be utilitarian, and at this point in my life I'm down to mostly doing 40-60 mile local rides on country curvy roads with 45-55 mph speed limits. My wife at 68 and with a hip and 2 knee replacements has decided she is done riding, so it's just me out on my daily rides. I still have my CB1100 and my FJR and technically a CB500X. I find the CB 500X gutless, don't enjoy riding it at all, and if it wasn't for an out of state nephew that needs a ride when he comes into town every year it would be gone. The CB 1100 suits my daily rides but it's now 7 years old and with 60,000 miles. The FJR is 2 1/2 years old with close to 40,000 miles, but it's really over kill for the vast majority of riding I am doing these days. Great bike, but big and tall and heavy and I don't really need or use the 144 hp lol. I could just stick with the CB 1100 but the daily miles would soon wear it out, so I'd like something else to supplement it for my daily rides. I have ridden both the NC 700 and the NC 750. The NC 700 was just ok. The NC 750 is better. The 2021 NC 750 should be better yet with all the improvements Honda made to it. At approx $8k brand new it's a steal imo. As my age goes up, my needs and expectations are going down lol. Still haven't decided and there is no rush so I'll ponder awhile longer. A lot depends on 2 medical procedures I have coming up next month. Thinking about a new bike may be a moot point after that lol.

Looked it up last night and there is a Kymco dealer in town. Maybe I'll pay them a visit for a look see but I'd really rather stay with Honda or Yamaha. I have a good local dealer 9 miles from the house I've been doing business with for 49 years. Bought 9 new bikes from them. I've known the owner since he was 14. He's closing in on 60 now. They have a top notch mechanic that's been there 30 years that does all the work on my bikes that I trust implicitly. They treat me well, and have earned to be rewarded with my business.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
SAY! that's just what I think about MY bike every time I take it out for a ride. :biggrin:
And mine is paid for as well. Of course I choose to avoid involving a bank or loan company for ANY item I consider an expense... like vehicles of any kind.

Bike
2012 PCX150
Nothing wrong with the >500cc scooters, friends who've owned a Burgman 650 love them, especially the twist-and-go, low center of gravity, nimble handling, capable highway speeds (even two up), lower running costs (tyres etc.)... to name but a few. I'm quite happy with my little PCX150 around town, am thinking of upgrading to a TMAX 530.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My father in law had an '80s Helix water cooled 250 . I rode it once and was impressed by it's smoothness & power on the country roads for a 250 .
Then some jerk stole it and the police pulled it out of a creek a month later , engine had tried to compress water & electronics ruined too .

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I did a SS1000 on my Burgman 400. It was like riding a barcalounger the entire way. And the next day it took me to work like what we had just done was no big deal.
I wish the variator belt was as easy to change on my TMax as it is on the Burgmans. Major PITA on the Yamaha. Looking at a new price comparison on the Burgman 400 and the Kymco AK 550, it would be hard to pass up the extra capabilities of the AK for essentially the same money.

Bike
VStrom 650
I wish the variator belt was as easy to change on my TMax as it is on the Burgmans. Major PITA on the Yamaha. Looking at a new price comparison on the Burgman 400 and the Kymco AK 550, it would be hard to pass up the extra capabilities of the AK for essentially the same money.
I don't know if it's representative of the genre but that AK comes in at 226 kg dry weight.
That seems blummin heavy for a Scoot.
Upt'North.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Scooters are heavier than one would think they are lol

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My 2008 Burgman 400 was around 470lbs wet. BikeZ says the dry weight was 199.0 kg or 438.7 pounds. From what I remember, (and the Ferret replied saying the same thing), scooters are heavier than their motorcycle counterparts.

The CVT makes up for much of the power to weight ratio issue by keeping the engine in the best portion of the powerband.

Chris

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, had no idea big scooters were that heavy! I guess the weight is low so you don't feel it so much? Heck, mid-size sport tourers are coming in around the same weight, i.e. the Tracer 900GT and F800GT are only 215kg wet. I think they get about the same mpg as a big scooter as well.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Scooters have advantages that belie their weight. Like Daboo says you are always in the best portion of the powerband. They generally have superior weather protection, huge underseat storage and I swear the brakes on my 400 Majesty were jus magnificent and operated by each hand which is really convenient. Being able to move your feet from under you to out front and everywhere in between without needing highway pegs is great as well. The seats are huge and well padded too.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Wow, had no idea big scooters were that heavy! I guess the weight is low so you don't feel it so much?
My Yamaha TMax and Triumph Scrambler weigh very nearly the same, however, the Yamaha feels significantly lighter because of the CG.
I think they get about the same mpg as a big scooter as well.
Scooters lose a good bit of potential fuel economy because of the losses of the belt drive. If "scooters" (other than the X-ADV and Integra) had a DCT instead of a CVT, they would do better than they do.

Vespa owners say that maxis aren't scooters and everyone says that Integras aren't scooters. Motorcyclists say that maxis aren't motorcycles. Harley riders say that motorcyclists aren't bikers. Everyone needs someone to look down on, but somehow we maxi-scoot owners got left out. The Vespa owners and the motorcycle owners seem to agree (for different reasons) that we don't cut it. Harley owners look down on everybody. They's gotta be somebody we maxi owners can thumb our collectives noses at!

Last edited:
Top Bottom