Burn Notice?

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
...some like to push the limits.
That would be me probably. In the Air Force, I was trained to think outside the box. When I went to work at Boeing, I was supposed to stay within the box. I hated that.

My mother used to get upset at me. I'd push the limits all the time. It was good training for being on this forum. :D :D :D

Thanks, Mellow for all you do.

Chris

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Shockingly wrong from a Marketing Guy!

Check how much we export! More than import.
Well the numbers I procured are from iea.gov, which are immediately suspect, in my cynical mind.
All of big tech has been shown over the years to tilt the scales, and I trust the US government less than I trust Bernie Madoff and Sam Bankman-Fried.
Tell ya what.
I'll just hush now, to preserve my posting privileges here on st-owners.
I've much more to say, though, you can be assured.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Funny how much mis-information or dis-information is out there, in particular on a well (no pun intended) documented topic like oil production, imports and exports.

Dwalby's graph, post #16, has it right. U.S. production and exports are at an all time high. Oil is imported to areas in the U.S. where it is uneconomical or unfeasible for U.S. produced oil to be used. Imports are now less than exports. The U.S. has a net import volume of less than zero, meaning it is completely self sufficient overall. a great position to be in.

The use of fossil fuels, and the big push to reduce same, is a completely different topic.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Funny how much mis-information or dis-information is out there, in particular on a well (no pun intended) documented topic like oil production, imports and exports.
Who is providing the mis / dis / information?

And for what purpose?

Everyone has an agenda.

Everyone.

Didn't I say I was going to hush? Damn.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Oil is imported to areas in the U.S. where it is uneconomical or unfeasible for U.S. produced oil to be used. Imports are now less than exports.

The U.S. ........ is completely self sufficient overall, a great position to be in.
Would be a great position to be in.

But, as you point out, some of the US produced Oil is not compatible with the US market....hence need import...hence not entirely self sufficient. Trading still needed.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Well the numbers I procured are from iea.gov, which are immediately suspect, in my cynical mind.

I've much more to say, though, you can be assured.
we're both using the same data source, you're just interpreting the data incorrectly, which I mentioned earlier but it appears you still don't get it. You can say as much as you like, but if what you say isn't true then there's not much point to saying anything, is there?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Would be a great position to be in.

But, as you point out, some of the US produced oil is not compatible with the US market....hence need import...hence not entirely self sufficient. Trading still needed.
Oh, I know you'll need to continue to trade, for the reasons mentioned. I'm just countering what I understood was the mistaken impression that the U.S. has a huge trade deficit in oil, and it doesn't.

I'm fully supportive of trade and building more pipelines from Alberta and Mexico to the U.S. Assuming the price and quality is the same why would anyone want to purchase crude oil from Iraq, the Saudis, Columbia and other non North American suppliers?

Burning fossil fuels is not great for the environment, but the reality is that other options are in development or just too expensive at this time, so, it is what it is.

Talk about hijacking a thread................

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I found this article interesting, it’s a half hour read. 1850 – 2023 Oil Dependence and U.S. Foreign Policy it articulates how administrations dealt with oil production, protection and the like. I’m old enough to remember the policies in the late 60’s to present day, and how it affected us (Canada) at the time.
To this day, USA does not have to pay the cost of fuel per gallon, what we in Canada or Europe have to pay. Just sayin’. ;)
It is a rabbit hole, and because it’s political we could choose to refrain from commenting. ;)

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Assuming the price and quality is the same ....
They are not. That's the issue.

......why would anyone want to purchase crude oil from Iraq, the Saudis, Columbia and other non North American suppliers?
Because many of our refineries are still set up to process their heavier crude.

Burning fossil fuels is not great
Talk about hijacking a thread................
What hijack? Thought that what the thread was about....burning!

Bike
2009 ST1300
Along with learning everything about your own ST, other newer sport touring bikes that might work for you as you mature :rofl1: ... Places around the world that are worth seeing, I find there's a lot of worthwhile off topic stuff on this forum that makes it interesting, which mainly is due to the age and experience of those that contribute. Like all good things, it's only good as long as it lasts but I can imagine that in the meantime it's an arduous task to figure out what parts of the livelier content to move to another forum :potstir1: and what to let fly. Hope it goes on forever.

Top Bottom