Can I Fly with Motorcycle Gear?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Lithium batteries are supposed to be carried on-board. The logic being that in the event that they catch fire it will be noticed and can be dealt with quickly.

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
You can carry on lithium batteries (loose or embedded in things). And you can check things with internal lithium batteries (shavers, etc.).

Of course, don't check anything that you don't mind giving away. I recommend putting your helmet in a protective bag when it goes thru the X-ray machine. Alternatively, you could ask for it to be hand-checked.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Lithium batteries of any type are not allowed in checked baggage. They must be carried on. If you “get away with checking them”, you are putting yourself and everyone at risk. Lithium batteries can spontaneously combust and that is not a good thing in the cargo compartment of an airplane 6 miles a above the earth.

Just put the batteries in your carry on. Items that you cannot remove the battery must also go in carry on.

Have a great trip!!!

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Some of my motorcycle gear has Lithium batteries, helmet with attached Sena for example. Garmin XT GPS?
Any problems taking my gear on a commercial airline? Carry on ok? Checked bag (or a box) ok?

Advice?
Shuey

You'll have zero issue with Motorcycle gear (Aside from some curious looks from uneducated and suspicious TSA folks)... Lithium batteries in "Checked" or "Gate checked" bags (Bags which will be traveling in the cargo hold) are the problem because they aren't accessible should they decide to start a party)... however, the tiny batteries in bluetooth devices aren't a problem. The batteries we look for a laptop, portable battery banks, scooter batteries, etc...

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
@Shuey..... so you are flying to a location and purchasing a mystery motorycle.... anyhoo, tell us your plans and how you are working the license plate issue...

Aw, cmon, waht bike? o_O

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
@Shuey..... so you are flying to a location and purchasing a mystery motorycle.... anyhoo, tell us your plans and how you are working the license plate issue...

Aw, cmon, waht bike? o_O
Bike license plate and registration aren't an issue. I took a photo of someone else's plate from a similar year, make, model and color bike already. I'm going to print it out on heavy card stock (in color of course), waterproof it with some packing tape then attach it to the new (to me) bike and obey all traffic laws riding home. It's been years since I've been stopped . . . this should work just fine.

"What bike?" I'm not getting it until the end of January'24, what's the fun in announcing now? :rofl1:

Shuey

PS: . . . or, with a bill of sale, Florida DMV will give me a 30 day temp tag. :) Choices, choices, what to do!

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well UP . . .
There's a maximum of 3 guesses, you have . . . two remaining! :crackup:
Shuey

PS: Actually, there's another clue in this answer!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What do I get if I guess correctly?
I get three chances?
Let me think about this carefully and get back to you.
:rofl1:

Top Bottom