Can I get 11,500 miles out of a rear bridgestone 020?

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
If you're not yet down to the wear bars I would go for it. Like I said, the only thing I would worry about is rain and it looks like that shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Thank you everyone for the input. Seems about 50% would go(9) and 50% wouldn't risk it(7) :)

I'm going to pass on the RTE given my tire situation. Unfortunately, with the 215 mile driving distance to the RTE I don't have the time to do the RTE and get a tire change today, if needed, at Iron Pony here in Columbus, OH. I'm leaving for CT at 5am tomorrow morning.

I even considered picking up a new tire at IP when it opens at 9am to carry to the RTE but temps in the area are 21-35 degrees F and I wouldn't feel right asking someone to help me change a rear tire in this cold weather. When I get to CT I'll mount the new tires that are waiting for me there.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Thank you everyone for the input. Seems about 50% would go(9) and 50% wouldn't risk it(7)
You can almost give this response to any query asked on the internet...

If you've got an 1/8" left I would have no problem going to those RTE's with that tire. I believe I went over 1K miles on my first BT020 after I hit the wear bars but then again this is what I ended up with...

worn_BT020F rear.jpg

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Okay, now I'm thinking I may give it a try...any other thoughts?
Can you post a picture of the rear tire? I like to run mine until the cords just start to show. I never let my front wear like that but with the strong sidewalls on the BT020 F (Kevlar) I don't think it is that unsafe on shorter trips. The only worry I have is if I run over a sharp rock I may have to call for a tow because I am sure the worm won't work well on a tire that thin. I feel safer with a near cord BT020 F rear tire than a new PR2. I don't take Diana with me when the rear gets thin. Just finished a ride over Highwood Pass and still no cords showing. The tire I am running on the rear at the moment is one that I removed prior to a long trip. I put it back on to use the rest of the rubber after the other one started to show cords.

Tim :03biker:

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Can you post a picture of the rear tire? I like to run mine until the cords just start to show. I never let my front wear like that but with the strong sidewalls on the BT020 F (Kevlar) I don't think it is that unsafe on shorter trips. The only worry I have is if I run over a sharp rock I may have to call for a tow because I am sure the worm won't work well on a tire that thin. I feel safer with a near cord BT020 F rear tire than a new PR2. I don't take Diana with me when the rear gets thin. Just finished a ride over Highwood Pass and still no cords showing. The tire I am running on the rear at the moment is one that I removed prior to a long trip. I put it back on to use the rest of the rubber after the other one started to show cords.

Tim :03biker:
I'll post a picture of the tire after my return to CT tomorrow since I have a camera there. At the time of the picture the rear tire will have 10,600+ highway miles.

My plan tomorrow is to ride 1/4 light speed for 600 miles. Don't want to risk doing that speed and distance on thin rubber. If everyone that responded had a BT020 and said that they got 11,000+ miles on the rear I'd have no worries. However, the tire is squared now and I really don't know how quickly it will hit the wear bars 300 miles, 500 miles, don't know.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
I got over 13,000 miles on the original set of BT020's on my '08 ST and still hadn't reach the wear bars. I probably could've gotten another 1,000 miles out of them but I went ahead and replaced both of them this past summer when I wasn't riding too much. I went with another set of BT020's. I'm happy with them :D

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Based on my riding style, types of roads I ride, and now 3rd set of BT020s I believe it is safe for me to run these rear tires to 11,500 miles max. My front tire looks brand new/slightly used. Regardless, I'm going to replace both since I have new stock in house.

Bike
04 ST
I am continually amazed at the mileage that people do not get out of tires. The original set of 20's I got 20k miles on them. second set was some were around 19k, and the last set was 18 something because I did not want to go through the rainy season with hard tires. Which is to say that it does seem as though the tires get harder as the tread wears down. I have always gotten the 20's because I like the rain grooves in the front tire over the fancy wrapped lines that the tires have in them. I have always felt stable in all types of weather. I will admit, I did go down to the wear bars on the first set, but still had tread left on the last two sets. I use my ST as a tool to get me back and forth to work reliably. The chicken strips are very close to the edge and I have papers from the troopers stating that I do not nurse this bike. :tc1:

STOC #
The only tires I get that kinda milleage (20's) from are on my truck lol I like to twist the go grip way to much to have moto tires to last that long, and I ride a wing now! :p:

Top Bottom