Canadian Speed Law Enforcement

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
In Ohio they are thick as flies... Highway Patrol, Sheriffs, local jurisdiction LEO's plus a smattering of speed cameras on poles. For me it's just not worth the risk so I'm generally a +- 5 mph of the posted limit wherever I ride these days.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Hinton and Edson and then the Yellowhead (wagon) trail leading into the city, where everyone (except me) speeds past because they know where the cameras aren't , usually where we get our tickets, photo radar.
We both get them; 50k speed limit along a six lane divided highway,

Bike
2009 ST1300
we got matching back to back pics from the photo radar company of the back of the mustang we drove there solo a month apart, i was 80 in a fifty, she was 81 (kph) just a bill, no demerits. Welcome to Alberta..

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
we got matching back to back pics from the photo radar company of the back of the mustang we drove there solo a month apart, i was 80 in a fifty, she was 81 (kph) just a bill, no demerits. Welcome to Alberta..
A photo radar gift is becoming our Calgary welcome package, seems our city cops love to park their photo vehicles in places unsuspecting drivers are likely to gather speed without noticing, off course most of the local traffic are accustomed to these regular finishing holes, it think its utterly shameful behaviour but I guess they are hooked on that revenue source, its like crack to them

Bike
2009 ST1300
We get the same here in the lower mainland, Geronimo; I log a lot of miles in my service van and watch left right and centre as guys [and girls] are getting pulled over in the same old spots; places like on ramps to freeways where you have to obey the posted speed limit of 60k to get on the [80k] freeway! I mean, it's ______ hilarious; but I mean it's like you say, it's just that.
For the most part though, it is pretty easy here; if there's one thing that will not get you elected or [re] in BC, it's photo radar followed closely by bridge tolls.
Everyone share's the idea, when I'm in my car...

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
In Ohio they are thick as flies... Highway Patrol, Sheriffs, local jurisdiction LEO's plus a smattering of speed cameras on poles. For me it's just not worth the risk so I'm generally a +- 5 mph of the posted limit wherever I ride these days.
One thing not mentioned is that ticket revenue in Canada, and certainly in Ontario, does not go to the local municipality to pad their budget. So there is no financial incentive to set up aggressive speed traps to catch unsuspecting motorists.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
One thing not mentioned is that ticket revenue in Canada, and certainly in Ontario, does not go to the local municipality to pad their budget. So there is no financial incentive to set up aggressive speed traps to catch unsuspecting motorists.
That is certainly NOT the case in Alberta. A significant chunk stays with the municipality. Here is an article that talks about the reduction of the amount municipalities are going to get.
1649256421384.png

Or in BC

Point of interest - My son (engineer) works for the city in the transportation department. One of the areas he is looking into is the implementation of "driverless" vehicles. A significant consideration for the city is the loss of traffic violation and parking revenue and how that will be made up. It is 10's of millions of $'s.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
seems our city cops love to park their photo vehicles in places unsuspecting drivers are likely to gather speed without noticing,
Shameful behavior is supposedly safety conscious operators of motor vehicles not knowing how fast they're going. It's not rocket science. Somebody on a brand new to them bike or in a brand new to them car with some HP might be forgiven (by other riders/drivers) for a few miles/hours/whatever while the get used to the newness.

But it's your J-O-B to know your speed at any given time. If "honest it just crept up on me" is your defense then you weren't paying attention. Weren't doing your J-O-B. It amazes me when people say "I don't think I was going that fast". If you don't know, then you were speeding. Sign here press hard three copies. Everybody makes mistakes. Part of being a responsible adult is owning up and not blaming somebody else.

If you get a ticket for an infraction you didn't commit – that's a different story.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Well you probably remember that "driverless" vehicle where two electric vehicle occupants were stopped between Red Deer and Calgary, or was it Edmonton and Red Deer, anyways, I'm old and who can remember these details, other than the fact that they were, well... sleeping.
Yes, yes, they were... sleeping, driving the long and winding road, well maybe, not so winding.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I think you guys are going to beat this subject to death.
I'm a commercial truck driver and travel the Great Lakes. From Wisconcin to Chicago thru Indiana and Michigan thru most of southwestern Ontario and into Quebec.
Speed limits are set and you can take your chances. Like you all have pointed out in certain jurisdictions police may or may not bother you unless you're being unsafe. I've traveled thru many small US towns and there are restrictions for large trucks in the right lane. That particular sheriff will not hesitate to give a ticket for less 5 mph over.
Around Chicago with a 55 mph limit I'm flat out at 65 mph. CHPD don't even bother with us however them 4-wheelers are passing me at 70 or 80. I usually see them pulled over up the interstate.
The bottom line is don't overdo it in Ontario or anywhere else. Otherwise you might get pinched. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 40 years either.
The other thing is we're riding ex-police bikes. That earns some leeway. :law1:

Bike
2009 ST1300
no doubt, everyone looks at these bikes as you ride up, saw a really good one; red with a GIVINI [?] top trunk rip up along side of me on the ride home from Richmond; full gear, heading out for a rip, full atire.

From my experience in Toronto traffic (thank God in a car, not on a bike) I would say speed limit laws are completely ignored. I didn't see anybody getting pulled over either. I think the police would rather live another day than risk going out onto the freeways, except to clean up messes.
I live in Muskoka and I can tell you " there are no rules north of Barrie" average speed on the highway ( posted 100 km) is 130 kph. And on backroads around 90 kph. There also only seems to be enforcement when there is a blitz on traffic. And that happens very rarely.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
" there are no rules north of Barrie"
No rules till you get a ticket ;).

Seriously I ride about 100 or so on the road home which has 90 limit and last week I had an oncoming cruiser hit the gravel and I thought @**# my first ticket in 30 years but fortunately it was for another reason. This just emphasizes that we are all driving with a guilty conscience because we speed daily, my opinion raise the limits and enforce them rather than make us all potential traffic sinners.

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
CC205.jpgCC207.jpgCC27.jpg With LEO...get em on yer good side.....then rather than sitting in their vehicle....they will smile while sitting in yours. My new in 2008 Town Car Limo.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
US mph reference, had a former LEO quote, "9 over you're fine, 10 over and you're mine!" I assume (use at your own risk!) that he was talking highway speeds. In VA, 15 mph over is reckless driving (impoundment) so I usually try to stay between 5-10 mph over or speed of traffic if everybody is moving faster just to not be a 'pylon' but 10% (i.e. 3-4 over in a 35) for slower than highway speed. None over in school zones, can't say the same for construction though; I-66 construction in VA is a posted 55-65 speed limit and everyone regularly does 70 without any interference from state troopers at all. I try to respect un-barricaded construction zones vs barricaded due to the lower level of protection the workers have in those.

i drive/ride between NJ and Markham, Ontario crossing most of the times through Lansdowne crossing in the Thousand Islands area. I do 10-15 mph over in NJ, 15+mph in PA, 10+ mph in NY and upto 20 kmph over in Ontario. Pass by cruisers and no issues so far. Back in 2021, I was doing 13 over in VA and got pulled over and given $175 ticket. Paid it in full for all the times I go over and reach my destination without additional charges.

Last edited:
Bike
2014 ST1300
There is a notorious section of Highway 563 that passes by Artists View subdivision just west of the Calgary city limits off Springbank Road. It's marked at 50 kph and is a rural road. The County of Rocky View Peace Officers love to sit there and tag people....I've heard.....or been told.....have it on good authority.....

Top Bottom