Canadian Speed Law Enforcement

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
it's your J-O-B to know your speed at any given time.
I would suggest that it is my J-O-B to drive as in a safe manner. In order to do that I need to be observant of all that is around me (including behind) and all traffic around me. That means I should not keep my eyes constantly on my speedometer. My FF helmet, combined with my riding position, means I have to literally tilt my head to read the speedo. I can tell, within a few mph's, how fast I am going without looking at the speedo just by the way the bike feels. If my speed is over the posted speed limit so be it. Sometimes it will be less because that is what is best for the situation. To know exactly how fast you are going, at any given second by looking at the speedo, detracts from my ability to be a safe rider. YMMV

DunksST1300

Great Nights
W
Driving on I-40 in Arizona, the speed limit was 80 MPH ( 129 KPH).
And since the road is flat and straight, with only desert around you, you still have the feeling that you go slow.

I was driving that speed, and I was being pushed by the traffic.
Well... the only traffic on I-40, in the middle of nowhere, say from new-mexico border to flagstaff, are trucks. And trucks.

Here, in Quebec, as all (or most) highways in Canada, the speed limit is 62 mph / 100 kph.
h Canada went metric, perish the thought, they left the limits the same.
Much different than doing 15mph over.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Whe
In order to do that I need to be observant of all that is around me (including behind) and all traffic around me.
Bringing up this point during the ceremonial presentation of the performance award what are the chances it would change anything?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Whe

Bringing up this point during the ceremonial presentation of the performance award what are the chances it would change anything?
Bupkis. So I don't bother.
Doesn't stop me from riding like that though. Interestingly enough, being observant usually keeps me from getting awards. Not always but I don't get very many.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That means I should not keep my eyes constantly on my speedometer.
Please — let's not drag this in to a ridiculous extreme that isn't really defensible. You don't have to glue your eyes to a meter to know how fast you're going. The two are not mutually exclusive. It takes a mere glance —l ess than half a second and maybe less to see your speed. It's your choice of course. But 'Sorry Constable but I was too busy being a safe driver to know that I was speeding. Get of my back and get thee to a Horton's" is not a defense for speeding. But it is a choice and I'm all about choice. Just not one I'd make.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
let's not drag this in to a ridiculous extreme
Not my intention. Just how I prioritize what my J-O-B is when I ride. Knowing exactly how fast I am going is down on the list. Like I said, YMMV.
I never try to "defend" myself when I am stopped. I get let off more than I get a ticket and I have never had a ticket changed on the side of the road from a citation to a warning.
Best "defense" is respect, non argumentative approach. Seems to work the best for me.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just how I prioritize what my J-O-B is when I ride. Knowing exactly how fast I am going is down on the list. Like I said, YMMV.
Like I said — not mutually exclusive. But it's a choice.

Top Bottom