Can't find Moly Paste. Mix my own?

So I can't find moly paste here anywhere. Having a hard time finding it in European online stores that are willing to ship abroad also.
I found I can buy MoS2 powder from China for quite the cheap. I am thinking of buying and mixing it with MoS2 NLGI 2 grease that has about 3% moly in it.
That's the grease that I am runing on the splines at the moment because I could find anything else and it is bugging me because I don't want to destroy the splines with just 3% moly
This is how they look after I cleaned: 1631297980040.jpg1631297980032.jpg

and about 60miles after I lubed them: 1631297980022.jpg
I have put around 2k miles now with this setup.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any advice? I am thinking of mixing the Mos2 powder with the grease at lets say 50:50 or 60:40 ratios.
Are there any other differences between the grese and the paste except for the % moly content?

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm not saying this is the answer but, the dealer near me that has a history of ST maintenance uses the new Honda moly paste and mixes it with Valvoline grease to keep it wet. He said the problem was when people would let them sit to long the new paste dried out. I did not ask ratios, I'm confident a 3 moly to 1 grease would work... YMMV. (I did a similar ratio with blue marine grease) Smarter guys will be along shortly.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
@paulcb is correct, you want the Loctite LB8012 paste. It meets the Honda specification (65% molybdenum disulfide).

You might need to order it from a specialty supplier - it's not the kind of product normally found at automotive shops.

Michael

Bike
2010 ST1300
Larry (Igofar) has said that he has seen splines destroyed after using the new moly 'paste' that Honda says is the replacement for the original stuff. I can only tell you what he has reported. Other guys here have said they use nothing on their splines but a heavy duty high pressure grease for many years with no problems. I'd use the loctite stuff myself*, but we have few if any problems getting it here. The major stumbling block seems to be some folks don't like the cost....

*But, I never had to use the loctite. When I got my ST, they were still selling the original Moly Paste in the tube and I bought one. Used as directed, their small tube will last a long time.

OP
OP
huntingdog
Other guys here have said they use nothing on their splines but a heavy duty high pressure grease for many years with no problems.
I have read that in other places too. Seems different users have different experiences with this, maybe riding style ( aggresive vs smooth) and proper spline maintainance ( not letting the grease out, dirt in, changing the o-rings) contributes to this also.
Maybe I am trying to find a solution to a problem that isn't there, but I really don't want to risk it :D . The PanEuropean is kinda an exotic bike here with not too many around so finding spare parts is going to be a problem.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm one of the ones with the "different" experience than most. I've owned the same ST for 24 years, 118k miles. I've never changed a single one of the 3 O-rings in the entire 24 year period, and for about the first 16-18 years of ownership I never even owned a tube of moly paste. I usually just put the wheel back on at each tire change without doing anything to the old moly paste that was on the splines, and a few times a tire changer offered to slap some on for me. Occasionally I put some regular 3% moly grease on there just for good measure, but never cleaned it back to bare metal until I finally bought the tube of Honda Moly 60, which I always joke is what prompted Honda to discontinue it shortly thereafter.

I live in SoCal, and rarely ride in the rain, and if I do its usually been when I was touring in another state. That may make a difference, I don't know. The old moly always looked clean enough, no sand or grit in it, so I left it alone mostly.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Hi Huntingdog. I’ve only just had the same dilemma. Been going through my (new to me 1100) over the last fortnight or so checking, lubing, cleaning etc because my bike hasn’t done a lot of miles which brings its own set of concerns and I want it to be reliable. I read up on final drives and stuff and got great advice here. I checked all three 0 rings were there (and pre ordered a new set in just incase they weren’t).

I found mixed reviews on the Honda moly paste debate though because when you chased the forum threads to the end no one seems to know exactly what the moly content is? So, I bought the powder and mixed it up with a decent grease instead. I took a small marble sized blob of grease, put it into a clean plastic aerosol can cap, then added about as much powder to it and mixed it up with a clean wooden cocktail stick. It mixed really well into a very thick paste. The moly is the critical component, the grease is just a carrier to apply it.

I was surprised how little you need, but when you think about it there’s little to no air gap between the splines anyway so it’s only a very very tiny amount needed.

The dried powdery remnants of (I presume) 20year old Honda assembly paste were cleaned off with a rag and I buttoned it all up. I think this topic is wide open to personal choice and only you can decide what you want to do. I figured a fresh clean moly mix of roughly 50/50 had to be massively better than how it was before I started,

Oh and by the way, wear gloves and don’t breathe the powder in. I read it’s nasty stuff and extremely hard to get off.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Oh and by the way, wear gloves and don’t breathe the powder in. I read it’s nasty stuff and extremely hard to get off.
Moly paste has the same properties as roofing tar. Open a bucket of roofing tar, place it on the floor 5' away from you, and just sit. In 15 minutes you will have a dab on the back of one hand, 30 minutes a bit behind your ear and a smear on your forehead, one hour and you have it on both knees, an elbow, your chin, etc. The stuff is very hard wash off completely. Another such product is toner for a copier or laser printer..... :biggrin:

OP
OP
huntingdog
Hi Huntingdog. I’ve only just had the same dilemma. Been going through my (new to me 1100) over the last fortnight or so checking, lubing, cleaning etc because my bike hasn’t done a lot of miles which brings its own set of concerns and I want it to be reliable. I read up on final drives and stuff and got great advice here. I checked all three 0 rings were there (and pre ordered a new set in just incase they weren’t).

I found mixed reviews on the Honda moly paste debate though because when you chased the forum threads to the end no one seems to know exactly what the moly content is? So, I bought the powder and mixed it up with a decent grease instead. I took a small marble sized blob of grease, put it into a clean plastic aerosol can cap, then added about as much powder to it and mixed it up with a clean wooden cocktail stick. It mixed really well into a very thick paste. The moly is the critical component, the grease is just a carrier to apply it.

I was surprised how little you need, but when you think about it there’s little to no air gap between the splines anyway so it’s only a very very tiny amount needed.

The dried powdery remnants of (I presume) 20year old Honda assembly paste were cleaned off with a rag and I buttoned it all up. I think this topic is wide open to personal choice and only you can decide what you want to do. I figured a fresh clean moly mix of roughly 50/50 had to be massively better than how it was before I started,

Great. So it has been done! :D Thanks for all the useful info. " The moly is the critical component, the grease is just a carrier to apply it. " - those are my thoughts as well.
Thanks all for the input, this is an interesting topic.
You can buy 100g of MoS2 powder for about 9euro incl shipping cost, + 6euro for 100g of quality MoS2 grease ( like Liqui Moly LM47) and you have 200g of MoS2 paste for about a fraction of the cost + the ease of ordering and delivery in my case.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Great. So it has been done! :D Thanks for all the useful info. " The moly is the critical component, the grease is just a carrier to apply it. " - those are my thoughts as well.
Thanks all for the input, this is an interesting topic.
You can buy 100g of MoS2 powder for about 9euro incl shipping cost, + 6euro for 100g of quality MoS2 grease ( like Liqui Moly LM47) and you have 200g of MoS2 paste for about a fraction of the cost + the ease of ordering and delivery in my case.
Just for your info I bought a 20g tin thinking that would be enough to at least trial it etc, cost was about £13 delivered. I didn’t go for the cheapest Moly BTW, I tried to get a decent quality rather than just lowest cost. ( I know that sounds backwards when I could have just bought a tube of pre mixed paste but I decided this was how I wanted to do it so there you go). Having done it a 10g tin would be plenty and no doubt last years! You need such a small amount of paste I don’t think I will ever use all mine up. I was very happy with the results and found it satisfying doing it but if you have any concerns you could obviously go the way Kaiser suggested by using the ‘proper’ Loctite 8012.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Moly paste has the same properties as roofing tar. Open a bucket of roofing tar, place it on the floor 5' away from you, and just sit. In 15 minutes you will have a dab on the back of one hand, 30 minutes a bit behind your ear and a smear on your forehead, one hour and you have it on both knees, an elbow, your chin, etc. The stuff is very hard wash off completely. Another such product is toner for a copier or laser printer..... :biggrin:
Oh God this is hilarious! Yup, my first experience with it doing a wheel spline clean and install got it elsewhere in addition to where it is supposed to go, and although Dawn liquid does the trick, it is a PIA to get it everywhere.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I resemble that remark! BTDT! In fact, I'm pretty sure if you get it on yourself somewhere it will never run out as it's seemignly self replicating - you'll have plenty for future use!

Hi All, after owning my first ST For the last month, I am going go through the bike myself just to look everything over and go over everything although my best mate took very good care of this bike (through services of his local Honda dealer). Now today I took the rear wheel off and the splines look dry and dirty (old paste?) Splines look in great shape, just dry..? Your thoughts (photo below). Moly paste in NZ seems like a foreign object! Grease - yes, paste not so much. 6F3F0B4F-39FC-471B-9FE5-14183BC4A135.jpeg6F3F0B4F-39FC-471B-9FE5-14183BC4A135.jpeg

Bike
VStrom 650
Hi All, after owning my first ST For the last month, I am going go through the bike myself just to look everything over and go over everything although my best mate took very good care of this bike (through services of his local Honda dealer). Now today I took the rear wheel off and the splines look dry and dirty (old paste?) Splines look in great shape, just dry..? Your thoughts (photo below). Moly paste in NZ seems like a foreign object! Grease - yes, paste not so much. 6F3F0B4F-39FC-471B-9FE5-14183BC4A135.jpeg6F3F0B4F-39FC-471B-9FE5-14183BC4A135.jpeg

Quick search found this but I would try to track down a Loctite supplier if it was I.
Looking inside there I wouldn't be so complimentary about the Honda dealer.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Quick search found this but I would try to track down a Loctite supplier if it was I.
Looking inside there I wouldn't be so complimentary about the Honda dealer.
Good luck.
Upt'North.
Thanks, Heaps!
I have emailed the local distributor to get more info from them..

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You omitted the aluminum based Anti-Seize in your list... ;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I use more anti-seize than moly, the silver one, and its spreading and reproductive power is frightening at the least.
In post #9, @SMSW describes the mysterious horror properties of this stuff, better than anything I've ever seen or read anywhere.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Having established that high % Moly paste does not exist in Australia, I purchased these two tubes last year (Photo). My ST is currently running on the Molybond GA50. The GA50 may be more suitable if it were thicker IMO, and maybe fortifying (stirring in) with some Moly powder would do the job. This sounds like a good way of overcoming the Moly paste shortage. The G-n paste could also be used as a basis for adding more MoS2 powder perhaps. It is a thick paste as it is but I don't know how much Moly the G-n contains off the shelf. It seems undisclosed in the specs.
D

Moly 2.jpg

Top Bottom