Can't find Moly Paste. Mix my own?

It does appear there is a little marking on the splines and it's no real surprise, it was real dry in there.
I would have put a bit more Moly Paste on than you did but that's just me. Next time you're in replace the three seals if you haven't already done so. They'll be due.
If you can get hold of a cheap hub/splines on ebay then keep one in the shed for later. There's plenty for sale on ebay UK but that's not much use to yourself unless they post down under. I would keep it lubed meanwhile and ride it once the checks are complete. Riding season is for riding.
Upt'North.
Appreciated! 3 x seals are on order at the moment from Honda NZ and will be replaced when they arrive. My 'gut feeling was to ADD a bit more but I have a tenancy to over-do things, so I didn't :)
I Will keep an eye out on e-bay - for sure - extra insurance in my book can't hurt.
Thanks for the advice!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It does appear there is a little marking on the splines and it's no real surprise, it was real dry in there.
One essential thing to check/not mentioned yet is the condition of the "bearing boss" the drive spline assy is guided on...
If the wheel/hub is worn down in any way the drive spline assy will lack guidance/wobble, hence even more wear on the splines inside the ring-gear...

OP
OP
huntingdog
A little update. I received the MoS2 powder. Mixed it with some MolyEP grease. The paste turned out great, it is super sticky! I really havent seen a substance like this before, noting like grease. My advice to anyone who is going to go this route: try getting a 50:50 mix. It's harder to do than to say it. Measure the grease in one container and the powder in another. Start mixing them by adding the powder to the grease little by little. It is time consuming. Wear gloves. Some fine powder can go in the air when mixing. Work in a well ventilated area, maybe wear a dust mask.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
huntingdog Post #45:

Huntingdog’s Moly preparation looks sound to me as a way of producing high content Moly paste. A 50% mix by volume would be a good starting aim that would provide a much greater % if based on weight (J Heath #39).
D

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
A 50% mix by volume would be a good starting aim that would provide a much greater % if based on weight (J Heath #39)
Ahh - I wasn't saying that those were the recommended figures ! I was plucking values from Wikipaedia quoted SG values for MoS2 and for Lithium - just as a demonstration that %ge by weight is very different from percentage by volume. The actual grease will probably have many more constituant parts then just lithium grease and MoS2.

I couldn't find anything in Oz - apart from this on ebay.

Molykote (Dow Corning) Industrial G-N PLUS Mount Assembly Paste 1KG | eBay

1kg is over the top, but find people over there who cannot get hold of it and sell 9 x 100g bags of the stuff.

Makes me wonder if MoS2 is a banned substance for importing over there ?

Check out YamaLube products - the FJRs have shaft drive splines.

Last edited:

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thanks John for this. MoS2, is in short supply alright, another of the many things that are so difficult to find. A world-wide phenomenon at the mo. Let's hope it corrects soon.
Cheers, D

Top Bottom