Carb removal, coolant hoses replacement

Got the carbs off after what seemed to be an eternity, the 90° elbows look fine to me apart from what i assume were 0-rings at some point, do you think I should just replace the elbows with new 0-rings, or replace the elbows as well, the hoses seemed pretty good as well, no cracks, or thin areas from what I could feel

I want to do a full coolant system drain and flush, does the radiator have to come off to gain access to the four cylinder drain plugs? Also how do I get all old coolant out, will removing the four drain plugs accomplish this
IMG20220509162904.jpgIMG20220509162855.jpgIMG20220509162928.jpgIMG20220509162920.jpgIMG20220509181449.jpg

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
there have been reports of the elbows cracking upon re-installation, or shortly thereafter, so its a good idea to replace them.

bottom line, replace everything while you're in there, including the carb boots, then you can put the carbs back on and forget about anything underneath there for a long time.

Bike
1999 Honda ST100
I replaced the elbows and the orings. The elbows are only $12 or so dollars from part zilla. Also, you can order all new coolant hoses off eBay including the coolant bypass hose that connects to the lower engine coolant pipe.

I went ahead and replaced the o-rings, coolant elbows, all coolant hoses, timing belt, thermostat, and thermostat housing o-ring in one tear down.

I'm a little jealous that you don't have the California model like I do. Your carbs look so simple compared to all the hoses surrounding mine.

Also, you do not have to remove the radiator to access the engine block coolant drain plug. I however didn't worry about it and just ran my bike some after refilling it and drained it again. Anything left in there is negligible, and I used Honda brand coolant for both fills.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
I replaced the elbows and the orings. The elbows are only $12 or so dollars from part zilla. Also, you can order all new coolant hoses off eBay including the coolant bypass hose that connects to the lower engine coolant pipe.

I went ahead and replaced the o-rings, coolant elbows, all coolant hoses, timing belt, thermostat, and thermostat housing o-ring in one tear down.

I'm a little jealous that you don't have the California model like I do. Your carbs look so simple compared to all the hoses surrounding mine.

Also, you do not have to remove the radiator to access the engine block coolant drain plug. I however didn't worry about it and just ran my bike some after refilling it and drained it again. Anything left in there is negligible, and I used Honda brand coolant for both fills.

Best of luck!
the elbows are £23 each !! here in the uk or $28 each

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Whatever they cost is irrelevant really, if you have to go in there twice to replace one or both that may crack. There have been a few reports of this and I personally know one person that it happened to, so, unless you feel lucky, replace the elbows.

Also, as mentioned, forget the two coolant drain bolts in the block. Very little comes out of there.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
Whatever they cost is irrelevant really, if you have to go in there twice to replace one or both that may crack. There have been a few reports of this and I personally know one person that it happened to, so, unless you feel lucky, replace the elbows.

Also, as mentioned, forget the two coolant drain bolts in the block. Very little comes out of there.
i've just ordered the elbows , o-rings , and hoses , i already have a new set of carb boots waiting to go on , thanks for the heads up regarding the drain plugs

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I need to order them too, for my 2000 ST1100.

Radiator hoses, elbows and O-ring.

I am always pushing that for later, but... beter act soon. I already have a slow prestone leak.
I thightened the hoses a bit more, but... gee, those hoses are due to be changed.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
I need to order them too, for my 2000 ST1100.

Radiator hoses, elbows and O-ring.

I am always pushing that for later, but... beter act soon. I already have a slow prestone leak.
I thightened the hoses a bit more, but... gee, those hoses are due to be changed.
Get em done, I just decided to do it yesterday after pondering on it for ages

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Is it better to put the carb boots on the carbs first, or put them on the engine intakes first
Put them on the intakes first. Use a bit of rubber friendly lubricant on them before installing the carbs. It also helps to heat them with a hairdryer prior to installing the carbs on the boots. Running the engine to operating temperature aids in the removal of the carbs as it heats up the boots.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
I have the clips with the little retainer wire on them on the carb side of the boot, is this correct, I can't remember which side of rhe boot they were on now

IMG20220510131125.jpgIMG20220510131144.jpg

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Looking at one of my photos, the screws face out (of course) and are both situated between the insulators:

The insulators should only really go on one way, and putting pressure on the screw won't allow the clamps to spin because the integrated stop keeps them from moving. Hard to describe, but it makes sense when you see it.

I used silicone paste to lube them as noted above. You'll never get the carbs to reseat without something. Just a bit is enough, don't gob it in.

Last edited:

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Haha, the parts fische shows bottom. I don't seem to have any photos of either of my refurbishments, but I agree it probably doesn't matter.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
Yeah I've got it all back together now, just got the plastics to go back on tomorrow, bit of a nightmare getting the carbs to go back on though, I ended up standing on them

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I don't even want to know what the elbows will cost in Switzerland. I had the rear brake disc on my ST 1100 replaced last month - the friggin' bolts that hold the disc in place cost €9 EACH! That's about $9.50 US dollars each.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
I don't even want to know what the elbows will cost in Switzerland. I had the rear brake disc on my ST 1100 replaced last month - the friggin' bolts that hold the disc in place cost €9 EACH! That's about $9.50 US dollars each.
That is shocking. Cost me in total £113, for two hoses, and two elbows

Top Bottom