Carb removal, coolant hoses replacement

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I don't even want to know what the elbows will cost in Switzerland. I had the rear brake disc on my ST 1100 replaced last month - the friggin' bolts that hold the disc in place cost €9 EACH! That's about $9.50 US dollars each.
when I swapped my front disks out years ago I just re-used the bolts. I'm guessing that they pulled some sort of safety rule on you and required you to buy new ones, or did you buy new ones willingly?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
there's a diagram in the service manual that indicates the left hose is connected to the top port.

But since the flow from both hoses goes into the same place it would appear that it isn't really critical which hose is attached to which port.

Capture.JPG.
When I replaced all the hoses on my 1991, I encountered the same problem. I checked the new hoses against the old and the bends matched. However, when I installed them, the longer hose was about a half inch too short for my comfort, so I switched top/bottom connections at the thermostat housing. Both feed into the same coolant path. No problems for going on two years now.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I just re-used the bolts. I'm guessing that they pulled some sort of safety rule on you and required you to buy new ones, or did you buy new ones willingly?
They used new bolts because the service manual calls for new bolts to be used. They didn't ask, they just did things the way the manual says they should be done - they are Swiss, after all. I'm very happy with that - the same shop has serviced my ST 1100 every year since 2002, and I have only ever had two breakdowns in over 150,000 miles of riding - the fuel cutoff valve failed when the bike was about 3 years old (I did a quick bypass at the side of the road), and I got stranded 2 years ago because of a melted wire (I did the "red wire bypass" to fix that).

I don't have any complaints about them replacing the bolts, I appreciate their meticulousness, nor do I object to the shop labor rate of about USD $155 an hour, but nearly $10 a bolt is irritating. That's Honda Europe's fault, not the dealer's, because it's Honda Europe who suggest the part prices.

Many safety-critical fasteners are torque-to-yield, which means that when they are torqued to the specified force, the fastener deforms a little bit. So I fully understand and accept Honda's instruction to replace the fasteners. I have encountered similar situations on both automobiles and aircraft in the past. Almost without exception, the service manual requirement to replace a fastener is driven by the torque-to-yield nature of the fastener installation.

I might consider re-using a bolt that the service manual calls to be replaced if it is in a non-safety critical location, but I won't take any chances with the braking system.

Michael

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Many safety-critical fasteners are torque-to-yield, which means that when they are torqued to the specified force, the fastener deforms a little bit. So I fully understand and accept Honda's instruction to replace the fasteners. I have encountered similar situations on both automobiles and aircraft in the past. Almost without exception, the service manual requirement to replace a fastener is driven by the torque-to-yield nature of the fastener installation.
The only time I encountered TTY bolts was on a cylinder head of a BMW car I owned in the '90s. From what I understand they are most often used on aluminum cylinder heads, because they provide a more uniform clamping force. The TTY bolt torque spec contains an initial torque value to seat them in, followed by an additional angle of rotation. I won't claim to know anything about brake rotor bolts, but based on the two previous sentences I'd bet money they're not TTY bolts at all. The TTY bolts I used were necked down in the unthreaded shaft portion, which I think is typical of TTY bolts, to make them easier to stretch. The brake rotor bolts have neither an angle torque spec, nor a reduced diameter in the shaft like a typical TTY bolt, shown in the following link.

I've replaced the rotors on two bikes over the years and re-used the original bolts on both of them without any issues. Honda and other mfrs typically employ the "use a new fastener" scheme on many safety related applications to cover their own arses from lawsuits, not because the bolts are TTY bolts and shouldn't be reused.

Last edited:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I think all the bolts that come with the Honda Threadlock will be spec'd for replacement, like the rear brake stop bolt.
I can handle a Locktite Bottle and a torque wrench, I'm not afraid to use them.

Top Bottom