Carb Synch Tool?

Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
So after running a couple tanks thru the STeed she is only getting about 35 mpg, and after reading about needing a carb synch or not, I am pretty sure I do.
I get the right hand tingling after a bit and then the mileage. So does anyone in the D/FW area have the tool to synch the carbs and would be willing to let me come over and synch my carbs.(Teach me)

Maybe I could sweeten the deal with a six pack of your favorite beverage?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm in Carrollton and I have one of the tools for loan. I've never synced carbs but you are more than welcome to use the tool, just PM me and come by and get it. I'm pretty busy these days so not sure if I can help out but many have said these things are very simple to use.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I recommend doing the ST1100 carb sync by measuring intake vacuum (merc sticks and others), but I do have a donated SK air flow meter as a STOC loaner (price of postage) if you'd like to go that route. I even made a 90? adapter for it to make it MUCH easier for a STrider to do the adjustments solo. Email me if you're interested. Or anyone else...

Regards, John

OP
OP
tmds3
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
Mellow PM incoming.

John I think my carbs may be WAY out and want to at least get them close and think the SK will at least get them that way.
I may eventually build me one that works on the vacuum, and if it works well enough and could figure a way to ship it around
and it not make a mess would add it to the loaner tool list if you would like.This is a future thing though.

Bike
2006 ST
Let us know if your mpg improves after synching your carbs. I've never done this on my 1300 with 79K. However, if it might improve my current avg mpg of 38.7 I might give it a try. Or will this even work on a 1300?

OP
OP
tmds3
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
Well I will get the tool from Mellow on Wed. and then do the synch on the carbs and then run a couple more tanks of gas through to see what happens.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Let us know if your mpg improves after synching your carbs. I've never done this on my 1300 with 79K. However, if it might improve my current avg mpg of 38.7 I might give it a try. Or will this even work on a 1300?
No carbs on your 1300 - fuel injection. Whole different animal.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Well I will get the tool from Mellow on Wed. and then do the synch on the carbs and then run a couple more tanks of gas through to see what happens.
Not sure which tool Mellow was referring to, but if it is the flowmeter device referenced by Bigmak96, it is easy to use and will give quite satisfactory results. Be sure to pay attention to which carb air horn goes to which cylinder, as they cross over and it can easily confuse you which cylinder you are adjusting. All cylinders balance to the base carb, number 4 (left rear).

OP
OP
tmds3
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
Not sure which tool Mellow was referring to, but if it is the flowmeter device referenced by Bigmak96, it is easy to use and will give quite satisfactory results. Be sure to pay attention to which carb air horn goes to which cylinder, as they cross over and it can easily confuse you which cylinder you are adjusting. All cylinders balance to the base carb, number 4 (left rear).
I was looking at that, so gonna take my time so I dont make matters worse. Gonna get everything I can find and get it printed up so I can post it on the garage wall for quick reference.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So after running a couple tanks thru the STeed she is only getting about 35 mpg, and after reading about needing a carb synch or not, I am pretty sure I do.
I get the right hand tingling after a bit and then the mileage. So does anyone in the D/FW area have the tool to synch the carbs and would be willing to let me come over and synch my carbs.(Teach me)

Maybe I could sweeten the deal with a six pack of your favorite beverage?
Before doing the carb sync, try running a can of Seafoam through it, 1 oz/gal I think. That will take about two tanks of gas, which by then your gas mileage should improve if the Seafoam helps. It did for me.

OP
OP
tmds3
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
Before doing the carb sync, try running a can of Seafoam through it, 1 oz/gal I think. That will take about two tanks of gas, which by then your gas mileage should improve if the Seafoam helps. It did for me.
Well after doing a lot of reading I think the carbs are out, I do have the tingling in the right hand after longer rides.

OP
OP
tmds3
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
Well got the STeed synched today, carb 4 was at 4kg/h while one was at 3.5. After running thru the carbs a couple of times got them all done and bike SEEMS to be running well and better than before. Rolls smooth off idle and thru the gears. So now to run some gas thru it and see if it improves.

Have to thank NuHondaGuy(Dave) for helping out, and Mellow(loaned me the tool) was nice to meet both of you today.

OP
OP
tmds3
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
Update and back story.

First the back story here, before the carb synch I had a random misfire on warm up and sometimes while riding, totally random while riding, just figured the carb synch would fix this.
So carbs are synched bike runs great, no misfire while warming up, go for a ride and BAM, random misfire,so life happened and I haven't had the chance till today to check for problems, so after checking the coils while cold everything was fine, took the old girl for a ride(against DR orders,whole other story) and came back and measured the ohms again.
Cylinder #4 if I move the wire quits reading, but only if the bike is warmed up,let it sit and cool off and read it and it reads fine and I can move the wire wherever and reading doesn't change. So getting the coil packs from a guy who is parting out an ST1100 and everything should be good to go, not sure if just the wire or the coil pack so will probably just replace the whole thing once I get them.

So that is where I am at know, so by the time the coil pack gets here I should be good to go for rides again and get to enjoy the lovely weather we are having.

Top Bottom