Carb Synch Tool?

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
So getting the coil packs from a guy who is parting out an ST1100 and everything should be good to go, not sure if just the wire or the coil pack so will probably just replace the whole thing once I get them.

So that is where I am at know, so by the time the coil pack gets here I should be good to go for rides again and get to enjoy the lovely weather we are having.
Just for anyone's info, coil packs for the GL1500 are the same as the ST1100. I bought 3 coils for $60 a few years ago.

Bike
2001 ST1100
Great information. How is your fuel mileage after all your time and labor? My 2002 is only getting 35 mpg but does not back fire nor does it run very rough. To me, it smells real rich when I am sitting at the intersection. I just did the air cleaner, plugs, and fuel filter. Gas light still comes on at 220 miles. Maybe the sea foam would help?

OP
OP
tmds3
Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
getting a solid 35mph commuting to work, also sprayed some carb cleaner down the air horns when I cleaned my air filter. idles better so maybe had some gumming of the butterflies. Hadnt had a chance to get out for a long freeway ride to see what I get there.

I have a 93 ST and I average 35 mpg on my daily commute of around 75 miles round trip. I hear people say they get into the high 40's and 50's but I think they must drive very conservatively to achieve those numbers. I used to think my bike was in disrepair since the mileage was so bad, but I think it has more to do with my driving style and hitting triple digits on the highway. I synched my carbs, but still get the same mileage. I do have some new carb boots on the way, hoping they will improve it some. But 35 mpg beats the 12 or 14 of my suburban all day and I usually arrive in half the time.

Bike
ST1100Y
I lived on a little island in south east asia & I've been hitting the same mileage almost every tank, give/take alittle.
I avg ~380-400km with 24lit & ran the tank dry 2-3x accidentally which takes me to about 450km total.
40% city riding @50-60kph/60% highway @100kph riding conditions.

Bike was bought brand new in 2000 and it has been doing the same numbers(35-40MPG) since then so I don't think it's a bike issue.
We do have alot of lights & traffic so can't compare to you guys.
I think driving style/habits & traffic conditions plays alot on MPG as well though.

But I've always been amazed by some folks when they said they get 40-50's, which is impossible & unheard of over here :bow1:
Price of fuel over here costs alot more.

Bike
92 ST1100
I have a 93 ST and I average 35 mpg on my daily commute of around 75 miles round trip. I hear people say they get into the high 40's and 50's but I think they must drive very conservatively to achieve those numbers. I used to think my bike was in disrepair since the mileage was so bad, but I think it has more to do with my driving style and hitting triple digits on the highway. I synched my carbs, but still get the same mileage. I do have some new carb boots on the way, hoping they will improve it some. But 35 mpg beats the 12 or 14 of my suburban all day and I usually arrive in half the time.
No conservative riding here...........but with new carb boots AND idle mixes set BEFORE syncing, then go thru mixtures again..........then a final sync gets my scoot 50mpg all day long @80mph......yep.....believe it my friend. At times on a LD trip on the super-slab that will jump to 52mpg depending on mother nature.

BTW.......that sync is done with a MorganCarbTune or mercury stixs......and with all air intate in place(specificly specified by Honda). A CORRECT sync will NEVER happen using a flow meter.....period. Using nonsense like that without ALL intake/airbox in place IS counterproductive........better off to have just left it as was.

Not an opinion here folks, just the facts, which can be backed with results in comparison.

Sorry for the rant, but you all that use a flow meter can look at the results on that meter all ya' want, but without the airbox on, the airflow, its direction and velocity gives a far different result thru the venturi than with it on, which changes airflow, even a small varience between the four;).

Bike
2003 ST1100P non ABS
No conservative riding here...........but with new carb boots AND idle mixes set BEFORE syncing, then go thru mixtures again..........then a final sync gets my scoot 50mpg all day long @80mph......yep.....believe it my friend. At times on a LD trip on the super-slab that will jump to 52mpg depending on mother nature.

BTW.......that sync is done with a MorganCarbTune or mercury stixs......and with all air intate in place(specificly specified by Honda). A CORRECT sync will NEVER happen using a flow meter.....period. Using nonsense like that without ALL intake/airbox in place IS counterproductive........better off to have just left it as was.

Not an opinion here folks, just the facts, which can be backed with results in comparison.

Sorry for the rant, but you all that use a flow meter can look at the results on that meter all ya' want, but without the airbox on, the airflow, its direction and velocity gives a far different result thru the venturi than with it on, which changes airflow, even a small varience between the four;).
I synced my carbs last night for the first time using a Carbtune pro 2. Initially I had the airbox off so I could locate and set the adjusters. Cylinders 1+3 were out of sync with 2+4 but each side's cylinders were in sync with each other. Don't know if this is a common state of affairs when doing the syncing.

Anyway, I eventually got all 4 in agreement with the airbox off. Then on with the airbox and did a recheck. All 4 were still in agreement, so I don't see the importance of the airbox for balancing. TBH the only way the airbox would make a difference is if there were some imbalance between the different cylinder intakes, and while this might be the case with a fully open throttle, it's not really the case when the engine is idling.

I can see that there may be a difference between syncing via a vacuum balance and using a flowmeter, and would have thought the flowmeter would be less accurate, but I don't understand the difficulty in using a vacuum. The hardest part of the job was finding the adjusting screws!

Anyway, just my 2p.

Gareth

Top Bottom