CC, Vista-Cruise, or Throttlemeister?

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I know that there is a price differance but what are the other pros and cons of these makes? I need something like these for me comute to and from work. The Throttlemeister have a nicer look to them.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Tried Vista-Cruise (I think. It looked exactly like pix on their website), for 600 miles, and after adjusting it several times, I finally gave up.

Now have Throttlemeister and it works perfect. Holds as tight or lose as you wish, using only a simple pinky twist. Easy to override if needed. Highly recommend. Well worth the extra cost. While I too live on fairly flat Florida roads, it still worked great on recent 1650 mile trip to and through the Smokeys, but of course with this type of system you lose some speed going up hill, and gain speed going downhill. Simple install and good looks don't hurt either.

Last edited:
Vista Cruise here. It does feel a little cheap but works fine. I still may end up with the Throttlemeister in the future when I have all the other things done to the bike. Plus I don't use the cruise for that long, just to give my hand a break.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Boy I have to start using spell check! LOL. Thanks, I was already looking that way too along with some Grip Puppies.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
This is not my picture ... swiped it from another thread.

This is what I use. It's a Caterpillar O-Ring that you can purchase at any O-Ring supply store. These are like 80 cents or so. I paid $1.07 with tax.

Slide it between the bar weight and the throttle and whammo ! You can still use the throttle if you want to go faster, slower or take control to not run over the neighbor's cat.

I use this thing and it works great for me. There is one stretch on my commute where I roll this over and let go. Great little gizmo for the job, cheap, replaceable, safe.

Attachments

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Can someone keep me from going out in the rain? Do I need the Grip Puppies 1.25 to 1.45 or the 1.45 to 1.65 size for my '95 ST1100?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

This is what I use. It's a Caterpillar O-Ring that you can purchase at any O-Ring supply store. These are like 80 cents or so. I paid $1.07 with tax.

Slide it between the bar weight and the throttle and whammo ! You can still use the throttle if you want to go faster, slower or take control to not run over the neighbor's cat.

I use this thing and it works great for me. There is one stretch on my commute where I roll this over and let go. Great little gizmo for the job, cheap, replaceable, safe.
I have seen those but they just seem to me that it may bind a bit but I have not tried it.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Have not had a bind issue ... it works quite simple. Try one on for spin.

I move mine with my last two fingers. Move it around without moving the bike for practice then get out there and try it. Kinda freaky the first time but once you grab the throttle you'll see you can move the throttle without effort.

This is easier for me to get my head around than a throttle lock or cruise ... which I'm sure are fine but make me a little nervous.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Have not had a bind issue ... it works quite simple. Try one on for spin.

I move mine with my last two fingers. Move it around without moving the bike for practice then get out there and try it. Kinda freaky the first time but once you grab the throttle you'll see you can move the throttle without effort.

This is easier for me to get my head around than a throttle lock or cruise ... which I'm sure are fine but make me a little nervous.
Would it still work with the Grip Puppies?

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

That looks like the way to go for me. I just want something to keep the bike moving so I can fish around in my pocket or just give the wrist a short rest. At first I wanted a full on cruise control, but on the last 2500 mile trip I don't think I would have used it for very long at anyone stretch. Then I thought about a simple throtle lock, but this looks even better for me

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Can someone keep me from going out in the rain? Do I need the Grip Puppies 1.25 to 1.45 or the 1.45 to 1.65 size for my '95 ST1100?
The "small" Grip Puppies fit the ST. In reply to another question in the thread, the Grip Puppies shouldn't interfere with a throttle lock. Mine don't hang over the edge of the underlying grip. (I pushed the "extra" length up on the inside rim of the grip - no cutting, and it looks like it belongs.)

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Alright, worth a try. I know that Lowe's and Home Depot has a good supply of O rings to chose from. I'll hit them up tomorrow.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I had a throttle lock on my ST1100. There was no way I was going to tolerate that on my ST1300.

Audiovox Electronic Cruise control. Under $100 for a real, electronic cruise control that works well on the ST1300 is tough to beat.

Audiovox CCS-100 ST1300 installation write-up

Ray

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Gruvvy,
Did you buy your O-ring in town? If yes where?

Bill
Nope Billy, I bought it down the hill in Fontana at O-Rings & More ... There are options for O-Rings at Lowes and Home Depot. I was going to stop and pick up another just in case I roll this one off the end of the bar by accident.

tkresler

.01% squid
I had a throttle lock on my ST1100. There was no way I was going to tolerate that on my ST1300.

Audiovox Electronic Cruise control. Under $100 for a real, electronic cruise control that works well on the ST1300 is tough to beat.

Audiovox CCS-100 ST1300 installation write-up

Ray
I gotta agree with NM6r... I have a Throttlemeister on my ST110, and the next bike I have will either come with an electric CC or I'll install one. It's crazy that on a 20k sport TOURING bike you have to add an after market one. It'd be nice to set it and forget it, same as on a car, instead of tweaking your speed every time you go up a little rise or down a little hill.

Tim

Byron

STOC #
If you want to simply lock the throttle in one position and let it ride any of the throttle locks will do.

If you want to set the bike at a particular speed and expect it to stay at that speed then you need a true cruise control. Throttle locks will only maintain the set speed as long as the bike doesn't encounter hills or winds. In either of these cases the CC will adjust to the conditions and maintain the same speed.

You just need to decide the function you are looking for and the accessory that fits your likes and pocketbook. Personally I can't see spending as much or more for a throttle lock when you can get a CC for the same or less money.

That's my 2 cents on the topic.

Top Bottom