OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
If you want to simply lock the throttle in one position and let it ride any of the throttle locks will do.

If you want to set the bike at a particular speed and expect it to stay at that speed then you need a true cruise control. Throttle locks will only maintain the set speed as long as the bike doesn't encounter hills or winds. In either of these cases the CC will adjust to the conditions and maintain the same speed.

You just need to decide the function you are looking for and the accessory that fits your likes and pocketbook. Personally I can't see spending as much or more for a throttle lock when you can get a CC for the same or less money.

That's my 2 cents on the topic.
I'm not too concerned with the hills here. They only come from fire ants and septic tanks :D . Cheap is good for now.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I tried TM and really didn't like it - too hard to work my pinky (which you use to turn) while maintaining throttle position. They look great - still have the end weights on the bike. Like others I really like my Brakeaway - easy to operate and looks good.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I had a throttle lock on my ST1100. There was no way I was going to tolerate that on my ST1300.

Audiovox Electronic Cruise control. Under $100 for a real, electronic cruise control that works well on the ST1300 is tough to beat.

Audiovox CCS-100 ST1300 installation write-up

Ray
That's quite a project. I don't know much about the audiovox unit, but why do you have fabricate the vacuum cannister?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
You don't have to fabricate a vacuum canister. It can be purchased.

Some have had reasonable success without one or with a long length of vacuum hose.

Ray

Jeff Snook

snookered
Bike
ST1300 2007
I use a vista cruise on my 1300. You didn't say if you had an 1100 or 1300. The space for the universal vista cruise is very tight on the 1300, in fact it doesn't fit without modification. You have to grind down the unit a bit. I used a 2" grinding wheel in my drill and then it slid in just fine. Then you have to take off your grip (I used a thin screw driver and WD-40, others blow it off with pressurized air) for the locking mechanism and then cut off the end of your grip before you glue it back on. Really, quite an easy mod. I have a unique ability to turn 20 minute jobs into 3 hour ordeals and it went just fine for me. Because I'm an overly cautious engineer, I also got longer adjusting screws in place of the ones that came with it.

Jeff Snook
I Ride, I Eat, Therefore I Am
Quadrigae Epulae Amici

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I use a vista cruise on my 1300. You didn't say if you had an 1100 or 1300. The space for the universal vista cruise is very tight on the 1300, in fact it doesn't fit without modification. You have to grind down the unit a bit. I used a 2" grinding wheel in my drill and then it slid in just fine. Then you have to take off your grip (I used a thin screw driver and WD-40, others blow it off with pressurized air) for the locking mechanism and then cut off the end of your grip before you glue it back on. Really, quite an easy mod. I have a unique ability to turn 20 minute jobs into 3 hour ordeals and it went just fine for me. Because I'm an overly cautious engineer, I also got longer adjusting screws in place of the ones that came with it.

Jeff Snook
I Ride, I Eat, Therefore I Am
Quadrigae Epulae Amici
I have a '95 ST1100. I don't even know what size bars I have. The vistas come in 7/8" and 1".

+1 on the Throttlemeister. Works well, easy to install, often can be transferred bike to bike if you ever buy anything other than an ST.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Have not had a bind issue ... it works quite simple. Try one on for spin.

I move mine with my last two fingers. Move it around without moving the bike for practice then get out there and try it. Kinda freaky the first time but once you grab the throttle you'll see you can move the throttle without effort.

This is easier for me to get my head around than a throttle lock or cruise ... which I'm sure are fine but make me a little nervous.
O.K., I went to the Cat. shop, I have one on my way to work. I bought two rings $7.67. At first, I did not like this at all. Just would not work for me. My stock grips were too close to the outside of the bars and I have to roll half of the ring over the lip of the grip and of course it would not stay. I just left it alone for a few days until yesterday. My grip puppys came in and in installing them, I found that the stock grip end will slide just a bit, enough to make a small gap for the ring to seat into. I still have to mind it a little, but it works now. It will do until I go all out CC. Thanks for the tip, worth every penny!

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Have a TM on my '07, had a VistaCruise on my '04...
I prefer the VistaCruise.... Much easier to use, just flip your thumb..
they both do the same thing, except for the 100+ difference in price..
(kinda like the difference between a speedohealer and a bicycle computer)
Putt..

Bike
'93 ST1100
There were also two different Throttlemeisters.

The one on my ST1100 moves like whipped butter. Solid, precise, and easily adjustable to any amount of friction with just the pinky finger.

The new version on my brothers ST1300 is hard to turn, even with thumb and pinky.

If the tight model is the version some have tried, I can see why some did not like it, but the older version, (or the ST1100 version?) is great to use.

Last edited:
Bike
FJR 1300A
STOC #
I have Throttle Meister on my ST1100 I only use them on a very long, no traffic road,I found that my Throttle Rocker/Cramp Buster was more useful for daily riding,I can rest my hand on the grip open fingers,I bought a Audiovox electric CC but I'm not sure if I'm going to install, if you want it I will sell to for $100.00 shipped.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
This is not my picture ... swiped it from another thread.

This is what I use. It's a Caterpillar O-Ring that you can purchase at any O-Ring supply store. These are like 80 cents or so. I paid $1.07 with tax.

Slide it between the bar weight and the throttle and whammo ! You can still use the throttle if you want to go faster, slower or take control to not run over the neighbor's cat.

I use this thing and it works great for me. There is one stretch on my commute where I roll this over and let go. Great little gizmo for the job, cheap, replaceable, safe.

DUDE!!!!!!!! That genius!!! What size it it? you got an mm size? I like that idea!

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I tried all the plumbing and the auto parts store, I guess I'll call cat, not sure if they will sell them to me, I want 6 already. I called some friends and they want to try it out.

Bike
2004 ST1300
The o-ring you want is the 8M4991 Caterpillar hydraulic O-Ring. You can get it at any heavy equipment dealer or often on Ebay for around a $1 each. It needs to be this particular o-ring because the diameter and cross section are perfect. I have been using one for +3 yrs and it stays on the bar end all the time. You can roll it up the bar end and into the gap between the grip and bar end with your outside fingers. I also have grip puppies, and it works fine.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Thanks, I just called a friend that works at a heavy equipment repair shop, they order from cat all the time, he's gonna call tomorrow. I'm gonna get 2 blacks and 2 yellows. I got a friend who owns a 1991 ST and he wants to try it as well. Thanks again.

Bike
HONDA ST 1300
"Kaoko" for me.....................quick & simple to fit (approx half an hour) and it looks like standard equipment.

It's a little pricey for a throttle lock but works perfectly. Simple to set and simple to release.

I don't use it very often but when I do it's just sooooooo easy to use!! Cruise control would be overkill for me. There are very few straight roads in Tassie so the throttle hand gets plenty of work.................and I wouldn't want it any other way!! :mcrider:
:aussie1:

Baz

Top Bottom