Change my bike? Decision made

Bike
2005 GL1800
Over the last year I have been contemplating changing to a lighter bike.
Concerns over my health and stamina, and the weight of the Pan were the main factors.
Even while riding it, servicing it and adding various farkles the thought was still there.
I was up in Glasgow last week and had look around the BMW showroom, looking at a 1250GS and a F850.
A friend has just recently got a Triumph Rocket and was selling his Triumph Bonneville T100, so I arranged to borrow the keys and take it for a run at the weekend.
Spent some time checking out the reviews on the internet & YouTube, pretty much all positive.
On Saturday the keys hadn't been dropped off and I spent some time on the Pan repairing the indicator toggle switch (the pivot screw had come loose) and putting a little air in the tyres.

The bike was sitting in the middle of the garage and I was looking at it and thinking....."if that was sitting in a showroom, all polished and shiny I would be wanting to buy it".
(I don't tend to polish the bike, the screen gets cleaned frequently and the bodywork gets hosed off occasionally, everything behind the body panels gets sprayed with FS365 protectorant whenever they are off for maintenance).

On Sunday the keys still hadn't been dropped off and I was sitting out on the deck with my wife talking about the Pan / Bonneville, and she commented "it doesn't matter what bike you have in the garage if you don't take it out for a run".

So 15 minutes later I was at the ferry terminal at the North end of the island.

Had a great run around Argyll and the Cowal peninsula.
This picture was taken at the top the "Rest and be thankful" on the start of the road to Lochgoilhead
IMG_2418.jpg

I eventually arrived home late afternoon, the Bonneville keys had been dropped off, so I headed to the garage where it was stored and took it for a test run.
Stopped off at my house to let the wife see it.

IMG_2486.jpg

Its a pretty little bike, however not for me......I just didn't enjoy the ride.

The ride on the Bonneville also clarified my thoughts on a smaller / lighter bike, just too different from what I am used to
So......decision made...the Pan stays.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Well that didn't end the way I expected. Isn't it gratifying to realize that for all these years, you really have been riding the right bike for your tastes?

Thanks for sharing.

Bike
VStrom 650
Very wise words from Er'Indoors.
If that's the Rhubodach Ferry there's been at least one different Pan on it. Lovely road up the secret coast too.
These things get under your skin and there's little that will beat them when used for what they're meant for. But they are a BeaST and the weight and bulk that is a blessing on the move can be tiresome also.
I think it's a good decision.
Make sure you enjoy Bute when the rain stops, lovely island.
Upt'North.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Congrats on your decision...I sometimes think of getting something newer, better, faster, etc. Bottom line is that my STs do exactly what I need / want them to do, so I feel I’d have significant seller’s remorse if I let them go (plus, giving up such fine bikes for not too much money since I likely wouldn’t get too much for them). I’m sure when I’m older and can’t ride anymore, I’ll be forced to sell, but for now, no new bikes and the STs continue their great work!

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Its a pretty little bike, however not for me......I just didn't enjoy the ride.

The ride on the Bonneville also clarified my thoughts on a smaller / lighter bike, just too different from what I am used to
So......decision made...the Pan stays.
I've been thinking about a T100 or a T120 as a second bike. May I ask what about the T100 you didn't like?

My reason for thinking about a Bonneville is because it's the bike I really wanted 48 years ago, but I couldn't afford it. Of course it's not the same bike, but it's as close as it could come.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I too thought the Pan was destined to be sold... regardless of what you end up riding down the road I'm just pleased you got out and enjoyed yourself.
Every day you don't ride it one less day you can ever ride. Make the most of it!

Thanks for sharing the photos and the smile.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I have a 2007 Triumph Scrambler (air-cooled, carbureted) and will keep it and the ST so long as I can manage them. I went with the Scrambler instead of the Bonneville because it has more legroom and I am a tall arthritic cuss. It is not an ST. That is what I like about it. I use it as my "hot weather bike" as the ST is brutal in really hot weather. Both bikes together are better than either bike alone.

OP
OP
Portpandon
Bike
2005 GL1800
I've been thinking about a T100 or a T120 as a second bike. May I ask what about the T100 you didn't like?

My reason for thinking about a Bonneville is because it's the bike I really wanted 48 years ago, but I couldn't afford it. Of course it's not the same bike, but it's as close as it could come.
I had a 1972 Bonneville in the early 70's, the new one didn't feel anything like I recall.

I did like:
The looks, the smooth engine and the exhaust sound.

I did not like:
The single disc front brake, which I found to be weak.
The throttle which I found snatchy and the relative lack of power.
The mirrors and the difficulty reading the information on the instrument dials.

I also could not get comfortable on the bike, however this one had a "king & queen" seat which suits the owner, the original seat would probably have been better for me.

The bike felt light compared to the Pan, and strangely I perceived that as a negative while on the move (though not when moving it around in the garage).

It was a nice bike.....if I was going to use it in a suburban setting around town I may have persevered (albeit with a different seat), however I ride in all weathers around country areas with fast stretches and tight twisty sections.

I guess I am used to the Pans strong linked brakes, excellent mirrors, taut and stable handling, power and weather protection, and am still willing to accept the weight of the bike

YMMV:)

All the best
Don

Bike
VStrom 650

Enfield 650?
Upt'North.

Bike
2021 KTM 890 Adventu
I sold the pan, too heavy and hot for me. I replaced it with NT700, Africa Twin DCT and a WR250R. None of these are top of class bikes but each perform well for different rides.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I sold the pan, too heavy and hot for me. I replaced it with NT700, Africa Twin DCT and a WR250R. None of these are top of class bikes but each perform well for different rides.
There's no such thing as the perfect one bike for all uses. There's always a compromise made when trying to tick the multi-use box.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup - great story, thanks for sharing! You certainly live in a beautiful place Don - I am envious.

I started riding a 2007 ST1300 in 2015 after 25 years away from bikes and while I love the power, brakes and handling of the big Honda, soon I also hankered for a smaller and lighter bike (knee replacement after 40 years following a bad injury when I was a kid). I find the ST1300 perfect for longer touring rides but it is just too big and heavy for city riding so I got into the vintage scene and have a small fleet (3) of Yamaha XS650s (think 1960-70s Triumph/BSA/ Norton - but with a 5-speed gearbox, an electric starter and actual working lights) - and I love them.

They are deadnuts simple to work on, all of the parts are readily available at low cost, there is an amazingly effective and helpful on-line community (XS650.com) who will pitch-in and help any time with anything. These bikes only weigh about 450 lbs, have around 50 HP, and handle steadily with decent (NOT ST-class, but quite OK) brakes. Mine are all "Standard" models with relatively low, flat handlebars and long, flat "banana" style seats rather than the pseudo-Harley king/queen cushy variants of the "Specials" and so they are really very comfortable. I have one of the three running (it was an absolute mess when I got it from a barn) and have put well over 13,000 miles (!!) on it in about four years - and it has never let me down. That includes a number of 500 mile days after which I could still walk. The other two will emerge from the Disaster Central Workshop this fall/winter in time for the great re-opening in 2021.
1976_Yamaha-XS650C_Lucille.JPG
The sound from those long chrome mufflers is one of the things I like the most. On one of my first rides after resurrecting the 1976 XS650C, I stopped for breakfast at a little country diner and a lady walked over and said: "I like your motorcycle, it doesn't look like a plastic praying mantis and it doesn't sound like a kitchen blender". If I were in the market for new bike now - a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 would be at the very top of my list. They are the closest modern equivalent to my XS650s which lack only the digital fuel injection and ABS brakes of the modern bike. Nonetheless, I find the carburettors work fine once you clean them thoroughly and dial them in and I never had ABS when I was a boy and seldom ride in rain now - so I am OK without it on the smaller bikes.

Sorry for the rambling!

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
Getting rid of your Pan / ST1100 would be like saying bye bye to a long time friend. After 20 years i still don't see nothing that would make me want to open my wallet up.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
This bike looks dope! I'd love to have a project bike like that :)
RE? Dunno. Wouldn't trade a Jap for an Indian made.
C'mon over to the XS650.com forum GryST - there are bikes coming up for sale all the time and they seldom go for more than $1-2K (in running condition).

As I said, about the only parts that are no longer available as new OEM items are original exhausts and fuel tanks. However, there are plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems for sale and occasionally, a decent used system comes up for a few hundred dollars. As for fuel tanks - they are around and the steel was good and thick so you can usually resurrect them using something like POR-15 (which is what Jay Leno uses on big dollar automobile restorations.

If you are going to restore an old Japanese bike, it is hard to beat an XS650 because they are so solidly built and still plentiful so they aren't a stupid price. When you get it going, you will have a reliable and comfy ride that can keep up with modern bikes for the most part (but of course, my boy-racer days are over).

On the Royal Enfield, all of the tests I have read point to them being well-built and reliable machines. Certainly far ahead of the Chinese and Korean bikes you see occasionally. Remember that in India and in Asia generally, the motorcycle is very much a mainstream vehicle and so companies like Royal Enfield are big and pretty sophisticated manufacturers. While Japanese bikes are sold in India, R-E is one of the largest domestic manufacturers and they build something like a million bikes / year and have sales of more than $1.3 billion US.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I did not like:
The single disc front brake, which I found to be weak.
The throttle which I found snatchy and the relative lack of power.
The mirrors and the difficulty reading the information on the instrument dials.
If you stay with the single disk setup, it can be addressed by changing to a 3-piston left side Nissin caliper off of a number of Honda bikes including the CBF1000, CBF600, Varadero 1000, or Transalp. You'd need to make sure it is the 3-pot unit as there are 2-pot units on some of these same models. The single disk and lack of power can be addressed together by substituting a T120 for the T100. The snatchy throttle is a common complaint for the EFI bikes and one reason I sought out an older carbureted bike. I am fine with the 900's relative lack of power. I have heard that the snatchy throttle solution is often as easy as a kit to lessen the throttle free-play or a difficult as binning the SAI system and reinstalling the engine tune with SAI unchecked using TuneECU or Tuneloader. Mirrors are easily changed. Instruments, less so. The tach/speedo are easily readable. The extra info in the LCD displays is not. Again, I solved the problem by not having that feature on my older bike. My main gripe is the bargain bin suspension. My plan (parts are here) is to install new shocks on the rear and cartridge emulators with new springs on the front.

Howdy - it’s been a few years since I was last on this forum. Had to re- register, as my old Yahoo address is long gone.

I’ve come back to an ST1300 - just bought a 2016 one with 5000 miles yesterday. This will be my second.

Sold my last one in 2008, after putting 100k on it as a daily commuter. Have had a Fireblade, GS and an R9T in the meantime.

But I’ve gone back to a Pan. Must be getting old...

Bike
R1200rt
C'mon over to the XS650.com forum GryST - there are bikes coming up for sale all the time and they seldom go for more than $1-2K (in running condition).

As I said, about the only parts that are no longer available as new OEM items are original exhausts and fuel tanks. However, there are plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems for sale and occasionally, a decent used system comes up for a few hundred dollars. As for fuel tanks - they are around and the steel was good and thick so you can usually resurrect them using something like POR-15 (which is what Jay Leno uses on big dollar automobile restorations.

If you are going to restore an old Japanese bike, it is hard to beat an XS650 because they are so solidly built and still plentiful so they aren't a stupid price. When you get it going, you will have a reliable and comfy ride that can keep up with modern bikes for the most part (but of course, my boy-racer days are over).

On the Royal Enfield, all of the tests I have read point to them being well-built and reliable machines. Certainly far ahead of the Chinese and Korean bikes you see occasionally. Remember that in India and in Asia generally, the motorcycle is very much a mainstream vehicle and so companies like Royal Enfield are big and pretty sophisticated manufacturers. While Japanese bikes are sold in India, R-E is one of the largest domestic manufacturers and they build something like a million bikes / year and have sales of more than $1.3 billion US.

Pete
This bike came up for sale and I was seriously thinking about it. XZ550R Vision , not this exact one but similar 18k miles for $1200... it was gone pretty fast. Snooze you loose1596575675298.png

Top Bottom