Change my bike? Decision made

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
This bike came up for sale and I was seriously thinking about it. XZ550R Vision , not this exact one but similar 18k miles for $1200... it was gone pretty fast. Snooze you loose1596575675298.png
That was one of the most advanced bike of its day when they came out. They couldn't give them away in many places, $1400 dollars new shortly they were turned down by the buying public. I still see low mile ones, very tempting.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
I too owning and loving My ST 1300 , but just getting tired of moving the heavy beast around when parking or moving in my garage and after a lot of research I pulled the Trigger on a new 2020 Yamaha 900 Tracer GT. Over 200 pounds lighter .loaded with options and a jewel of a motor in the Tipple . At 115 HP and over 65lb of torque a real blast to ride . Hated to loose the ST but got to say I am not missing it.
MIKE

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'd suspect you are very experienced and the Bonneville is way more of a starter bike than you'd want. I've had my '17 T100 for three years and it's a fantastic bike for in-town rides, but on the highway when traffic is at its preferred CA speeds, I don't feel like there is a lot of reserve oomph to call on. The ST1100 has nearly twice the HP, so a T100 certainly would lack some excitement. That said, lovely bike. The clutch is awesome, lots of torque, fit and finish are great, and it's beautiful - especially the cream/orange tank and spoke wheels. If I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd trade it in for a Speed Twin, but between Hwy 1 and the Sierras, the ST is going to be waaay more useful for adventures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Portpandon
Bike
2005 GL1800
I'd suspect you are very experienced and the Bonneville is way more of a starter bike than you'd want.
I would say that you have "hit the nail on the head" there.
50 years riding so far, slowing down a bit and don't ride all through the winter anymore.

My main area of concern was the fairly rough unpaved approach to my house, and my sloping gravel / concrete drive with a 180 swing into the garage.
I've laid it down in the drive twice in the last 2 years due to putting my foot down on the gravel.
I'm not as strong as I used to be so picking it up each time was a struggle.
The "bum on the seat & walk backwards" technique couldn't be used on those occasions due to the gravel / slope and position of the bike, so my wife had to assist me.
I now drive nice and slow up the unpaved approach, stop at the gate and then "walk" it down and into the garage at a very slow speed.

I actually quite liked the Bonneville, however it didn't suit me or my requirements and riding it clarified that I still preferred the Pan.
My friend (who was selling it) said he wasn't surprised, he hadn't thought that I would change from the Pan.

Regards
Don

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Enfield 650?
Upt'North.
I've considered the Interceptor 650 (or is that an "Int 650"?). It really is more retro than the Bonneville, but the modern electronics on the T120 appeal to me and their dealership network is very limited.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Howdy - it’s been a few years since I was last on this forum. Had to re- register, as my old Yahoo address is long gone.

I’ve come back to an ST1300 - just bought a 2016 one with 5000 miles yesterday. This will be my second.

Sold my last one in 2008, after putting 100k on it as a daily commuter. Have had a Fireblade, GS and an R9T in the meantime.

But I’ve gone back to a Pan. Must be getting old...
Hi @Ben G . Welcome back the the forum and the Pan-family.

Bike
VStrom 650
I've considered the Interceptor 650 (or is that an "Int 650"?). It really is more retro than the Bonneville, but the modern electronics on the T120 appeal to me and their dealership network is very limited.
I think the looks of the Enfield are truly amazin. They've got the retro spot on. But my fears would probably be yours, reliability, build quality etc. Although your standard Triumph range is made overseas anyway now I think. I would think India but I can't remember the details and which models had been affected.
The 650 seems to be OK though, the Himalayan has been slated in some quarters but I believe an updated model of that has been released. The 650's are selling like Hot Cakes in the UK.
But until they increase the standard power output, make it a proper two seater, maybe luggage but Craven make some I think, then it won't be on my radar. But it is gorgeous.
Upt'North.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
When I had my ST1300, I bought a Vstrom 650 for a lighter ride. I sold it when I bought my VFR, but still get nostalgic for it occasionally.

Steve

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I loved my XS650E. It had twin disc brakes and electric starter as well as a kickstart. I had a sidecar on mine and fitted a fairing. It was our young family transport. I never rode it solo though. I would have loved to have had the XS750 triple - that had a shaft drive and didn't have spoked wheels. I kept breaking spokes In the back wheel On the 650 combination.

I wondered whether the Deauville would be a good alternative to the Pan. NT700V. It has a similar look and vaguely familiar sound. It stopped being produced in 2013 though. I started noticing them on the road more shortly after I turned 60 ! Along with slippers, cardigans and Werthers Original. But they look to be a nice small tourer.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah that things a beauty. Back then they all were . The Kawasaki LTD's Yamaha Specials, Honda CB series and the Suzuki GS series all were very good.
What was really special about the one I had is the Yamaha Shop manager had the front discs drilled and had a ton of performance mods done to the motor. He then took it out for his first ride and it scared him so bad that he sold it to me. :biggrin: The suspension sucked, but it had 180 mph on the speedo and I have no doubt it could have done it if I could have found a straight enough road ... ;)

Bike
2000 ST1100
What was really special about the one I had is the Yamaha Shop manager had the front discs drilled and had a ton of performance mods done to the motor. He then took it out for his first ride and it scared him so bad that he sold it to me. :biggrin: The suspension sucked, but it had 180 mph on the speedo and I have no doubt it could have done it if I could have found a straight enough road ... ;)
Yep really brings back the memories Phil. We had this one abandon road where we would go on the weekends and get braggin rights. Guys on the Kawasaki's and The Suzuki's seems like they were always faster than the Yamaha's and Honda's. But ever once in a while you'd get a ringer ( Somebody that had done a ton of motor work) that would win the money.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
When I purchased my '77 Yamaha 750 new in early '78 the shop had a low mileage '75 Gold Wing for the same price.

1596662466676.png

I wanted mag wheels and the Honda had regular spoked wheels.............. In retrospect the Honda was probably the better bike.

Bike
VStrom 650
Over the last year I have been contemplating changing to a lighter bike.
Concerns over my health and stamina, and the weight of the Pan were the main factors.
Even while riding it, servicing it and adding various farkles the thought was still there.
I was up in Glasgow last week and had look around the BMW showroom, looking at a 1250GS and a F850.
A friend has just recently got a Triumph Rocket and was selling his Triumph Bonneville T100, so I arranged to borrow the keys and take it for a run at the weekend.
Spent some time checking out the reviews on the internet & YouTube, pretty much all positive.
On Saturday the keys hadn't been dropped off and I spent some time on the Pan repairing the indicator toggle switch (the pivot screw had come loose) and putting a little air in the tyres.

The bike was sitting in the middle of the garage and I was looking at it and thinking....."if that was sitting in a showroom, all polished and shiny I would be wanting to buy it".
(I don't tend to polish the bike, the screen gets cleaned frequently and the bodywork gets hosed off occasionally, everything behind the body panels gets sprayed with FS365 protectorant whenever they are off for maintenance).

On Sunday the keys still hadn't been dropped off and I was sitting out on the deck with my wife talking about the Pan / Bonneville, and she commented "it doesn't matter what bike you have in the garage if you don't take it out for a run".

So 15 minutes later I was at the ferry terminal at the North end of the island.

Had a great run around Argyll and the Cowal peninsula.
This picture was taken at the top the "Rest and be thankful" on the start of the road to Lochgoilhead
IMG_2418.jpg

I eventually arrived home late afternoon, the Bonneville keys had been dropped off, so I headed to the garage where it was stored and took it for a test run.
Stopped off at my house to let the wife see it.

IMG_2486.jpg

Its a pretty little bike, however not for me......I just didn't enjoy the ride.

The ride on the Bonneville also clarified my thoughts on a smaller / lighter bike, just too different from what I am used to
So......decision made...the Pan stays.
I think you took it out at the right time.
The Rest and Be Thankful wouldn't be a good ride at the moment.
Upt'North.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom