Changed my front tire quite easily.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I am posting this just to show that with almost no special tool, it is relatively easy to change a tire.
My colleagues at works, those who have motorcycles, are telling me to go to the dealer for that.
Heck, they even go to the dealer for their oil change, or brake fluid, so... I understand why they don't understand me.
They don't seem to understand that there is a real satisfaction in doing that yourself.
Not only you're learning about how motorcycles works, but you can also see what is the condition, inspect the parts, clean them, etc.
There is a learning curve. This is only my second tire in life, that I change. And it was really easy this time, compare to my first, two years ago.
20220613_154746.jpg

I really waited a little too long before replacing this one. I know. Not that smart from me.
But, with my injury to my back, I was waiting to feel better. Geeeee.... I was lucky nothing happend.
20220613_145009.jpg

20220613_172331.jpg

To break the bead, I use big C-Clamps, for now.
Once both beads are broke, I use two motion-pro "spoons" (my only specialized tools) and also those hard poly-something rim protectors (I have to admit they are a real pain to use, they slip, and then when you want to move them a few inches, they get stuck between the rim and the tire).
So, I now also use my bare hands. Once the tire is half off the rim, I hold the rim with one hand and pull the tire out with the other hand. Grrrrrrr..... It works !

oh-oh !
20220613_144340.jpg

To put the new tire on the rim, it could really be a tiring and exausting job. It really was, two years ago. It took me many attempts, spent on a few days before I finally had it.

Now, I used a tip given last year by @Igofar : duct tape. And it was so easy like this.
The idea is to close both sides of the tire, toward the inside. By doing this at many places (ten different spot in my case) you increasing the inside diameter of the tire.
With this method, both sides of the tire get into the rim at once.
I remember, last year, Larry was saying something like : if you are strugling, forcing and having trouble... you don't have the good technique. It made me think a lot.
So, I decided to use my weight. 260 pounds, my both hands, pushing the side of this tire, and watching it slowly going in, little by little.
It really went like a charm. A few minutes and it was done. Wow ! Thanks Larry. I owe you one. :hat3:

20220613_235801.jpg

In fact, it went so well, that once the new tire was fit inside the rim, I realised that I had forgot to put any tire lube. :oops:

Concerning the use of duct tape : one thing that worried me a bit, before I tried this method, is how do you remove your duct tape after ?
It turns out that it is really easy to take them off. I took the tip of an exacto knife, following the center thread, to cut the tape, then I could peel or pull and unroll both sides, so all that is left is the part inside the rim, and with a good pull, it was easy to take them entirely out.

So, with the duct tape off, I was ready to seat the bead, to be able to inflate the tire.
But for that, I really needed to apply tire lube.
So, I took an old paintbrush, dipped the tip in the tire lube, and apply plenty between the tire and the rim. I was very generous for once.
I temporarly remove the core of the valve, took the air compressor, blew some air into the valve and... Pop ! ... Pop !

Now, to balance my wheel, I have a rather simplistic setup for static balancing. Simple, not perfect, but it works.
The axle supporting the wheel rests between two benches.
Here I was just checking the balance of the rim with the new aluminum valve.
I am also doing the balancing with the tire.
The idea to balance the rim and then the rim and the tire, is that you can align the yellow dot on the tire (lightest spot) with the heaviest spot of the rim.

20220613_225313.jpg

I couldn't find my strip of small sticking weigths.
The original weight from Honda was too heavy.
So, I used a piece of duct tape again, holding a nickel ( 5 cents) on the rim.
In a few days I'll get a real weigth. Just for a more professional look.

I'm also thinking about the other method of balancing a wheel, with beads inside the wheel, that autobalance themself ?
Not too sure how it works, but it might worth a try, to have a perfect balancing.

New wheel now in place, with new inclined aluminum valve from curvy girls.
20220615_181250.jpg

Ready to roll.
20220615_181233.jpg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Nice Job ChriSTian 64 :wave1:
I rather enjoy changing tires by hand now.
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Folks who have other people do their service, change their tires, never really feel the bond, or relationship with your machine.
I get it.
Well done, Ride Safe.
:WCP1:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Looks great and all that you did is a perfectly acceptable way to mount and balance a wheel/tire- I bought myself one of the Olmaxmotors tire changers and balancer- I figure eventually it’ll pay for itself with enough tire swaps and typically, the shops don’t treat your bike or parts with the same finesse you would. In the video for it, he mounts the tire pretty easily- real world experience is a bit different, so I can mount mine to the floor for use (drop in anchors in the garage floor holds the machine to the floor nice and tight) so I can walk around the tire and machine with the mounting bar (one of those duck head type that doesn’t mar the rim).

I see the new 90 degree valve stems- love those (so much easier to fill the tire and check pressure)!

Well done!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well done, Christian! I started changing my own a few years ago, using either tie-wraps or duct tape, and was shocked at how easy it was. The first time a tire popped on with no hassle, I was hooked.
I use a cheap, errr.. inexpensive Pit Posse balancer, and then add balance beads as well. Belt and suspenders!
The last two tires I installed required no weights at all. Both were Bridgestone T32’s.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Great job Christian! I haven't had my bike long enough yet to need new rubber other than when I bought it and wimped out by having a shop change them for me. My next set I'll be using either the tape or ty wrap method. I use balancing beads....and they work.
Thanks for the write up.
Take Care

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Front or rear it does not matter, once you squeeze the tire together it makes the inside diameter larger etc.
For folks in colder areas, a hair drier inside the tire, or sitting the tire in your truck with the heater on helps soften it up, then just kneel on it and apply tape.

Bike
2000 ST1100
That looks like an original equipment Bridgestone G547.... an excellent tire choice imho. The real reason to work on your own machine is you know it's done right. Every clip tab and fastner is installed correctly and the work is done. I have an old saying that is I can screw my bike up as well as the dealer so don't be afraid to work on your own bike. The trick is to know when you are over your head and seek help. But you are correct for most routine maintenance shame on you for not doing it yourself.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Tape or ties don't make the opening larger, although it certainly feels that way; they make it easier to keep both beads in the center of the wheel.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Way to go Christan, welcome to the tire club.
I have been changing my tires myself for the last 10 years as I buy them online.
Thanks to Art Franz that stopped by when passing through on a road trip and spooned a front tire on in 30-45 minutes from wheel on to wheel on.
I was hooked.
The bike shops where I live will only install tires that you buy from them.
Double the price and add 10% compared to online prices.
I was sending my online tires with my wife for a few years, as they never refused a women in a repair shop.
Don't get discouraged on you first tire change. I actually threw in the towel when I tried to change my first rear tire.
Had to cut the tire in half down the tread to remove it.
Took the rim and new tire and they faithfully finished the job.
So your gonna need spoons and rim protectors.
I have 2 short spoons and 2 long ones and 2 rim protectors.
After removing the air, I stick my tire in a vice to break the bead and I don't unscrew the scrader valve from the stem, never had too.
Never had to heat the tire, but a heat gun (I own 2 of them) , blow dryer or leave it in the sun are good ideas.
Fast forward to a few years ago, tye wraps are the way to go, never tried the duct tape, looks like a good option too.
Oh and Bridgestone tires are the only brand I've tried to put on, heard they have the toughest side walls in the business.
Don't forget to line the yellow dot on the sidewall to the valve stem and double check the arrow on the rim and sidewall for the correct direction.
When filling up the new tire for the first time, get ready to get the crap scared out of you when the tire pops onto the rim.
Scares the crap out of me every time.
As for balancing, never checked one on the jack stands and the wheel shaft, just go out and take it up to highway speeds and look in the rear view mirror. Crystal clear view, no balancing required.
I think technology has made tires so close to being perfectly balanced right out of the box.
Watch a few you tube videos on tye wrap installs, good information.

Top Bottom