Changed my front tire quite easily.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I understand that tyres are amazing these days.rims are what need to be balanced. As long as weights are there- - good to go.

yrmv

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Are you actually increasing the inner diameter of the bead? I would think that having a 'flexible diameter' bead wouldn't be conducive to getting it to stay seated once inflated. Instead, I think the process of bringing both beads closer together and holding them there allows the opposite side from where you're working to enter the smaller inner diameter area of the wheel, allowing the side you're working on to go over the outer larger diameter of the rim. Semantics maybe, but probably more accurate than increasing the inner bead diameter? That's what that 'well area' is designed to do, right?

Good informative writeup! I wrestled with a tire change a few years back and was afraid I was going to tear the bead trying to get it over the rim. Have taken them to the shop since, but may try it again using zip ties as suggested to collapse the beads across the width of the tire and hopefully make the job a little easier. Recent lawn mower tubeless tire purchase had a crease in the tread so bad that neither bead would reach the rim so had to go with a tube to seat it. Once it was on, there was no way to reach inside and bring the bead back to the rim area to seat; very frustrating!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I don’t like zip ties, as the take up for space than duct tape, and I’ve see several folks damage the bead area with cracks or small tears from the ties digging into the tire.
Tape is smoother, flatter, and slippery.

Bike
R1200rt
Interesting fact:
I'm exclusively using G547/G548 on my '00 ST1100... means the wheels where (last) balanced quite some years ago... Exedra's with yellow dot on valve are perfect ever since...
the tires are made pretty precise. Last few times I put a 1/2 oz or less and I'm not sure if I would feel the out of balance of 1/2 oz or less.

I go to see a local home motorcycle tire change business.A lovely young blonde haired girl mounts and balances for $20.The tire.She keeps a tally on the wall,last time i was there she was up to 4,500 motorcycle tires changed.Has a nice shop,modern machine,very personable.Exeter,NH

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
The heck with spooning tires on and off I just ordered a nomar classic. Living where I am the closest guy that will mount carry in tires and wheels is an 85 mile round trip. I think i can get more work for it here also.

Bike
2012 Honda ST 1300
The heck with spooning tires on and off I just ordered a nomar classic. Living where I am the closest guy that will mount carry in tires and wheels is an 85 mile round trip. I think i can get more work for it here also.
My local cycle dealers want $70 each tire for mount and balance now. I know it takes them 15-20 minutes each max. I also ordered a No Mar classic HD tire changer. Looks you and I aren’t the only ones, mine is back ordered for a few weeks. This baby will pay for itself quickly in my garage with 3 motorcycles. Can’t wait to get it, new Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s waiting to go on my ST.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've done hundreds of tire changes on mine. It takes a couple to get the hang of it but then it's nice and convenient. I typically strap the wheel spoke to the bottom to keep the wheel from spinning. You'll know what I mean once you get it and give it a try. Bridgestone tires are still a beast but that's okay.

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I understand that tyres are amazing these days.rims are what need to be balanced. As long as weights are there- - good to go.
@Jethro True. Unless you change a rubber valve for a metal valve. When I did, on my rear tire, it seems that the weight of the aluminum valve ( just a bit more than a rubber valve ) was now sufficient to balance the rim perfectly. So, I had to remove the old weight.

For my front tire... I had no weight... I see a spot where a sticky weight was glued, but the weigh was gone. And with the aluminum valve, I needed a very light weight on the opposite side.
A canadian nickel weights 4 grams. The smaller balancing weights are 5 grams. It is really not much. I'm still using my 5 cents under a duct tape until I find a real weigth.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Purely for your entertainment, a different kind of burn-out... smokeeen... (Greta was not amused...) ;)

277308243_1398628983920482_6162167312201224847_n.jpg

The rear wheel of a friend's 70ies Kawa Z750...

Back then it seemed kinda fashion to force a metric tire onto a rim designated for dimensions in inch...
It sat for decades, it wouldn't bulge and before damaging the (now rare) rim, I opened it up to cut the bead-wire with strong cable cutters... :cool:

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I joined the duct tape club today.
I have seen posts before but crazily never tried it. I was talking with @Igofar today when he mentioned the method. Maybe it seemed unbelievably easy, maybe I didn’t want to waste duct tape, but after doing it, I confirm that it is very easy, tools, no scrapes, no wondering how bad the bead and cords are getting stretched. Life just got easier.
BAEE63D3-6A52-40C0-8464-04D425B430AC.jpeg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You may like them until the O-ring tears or gets damaged, then find out there is no support or parts offered for them, making you buy another one to fix a simple leak.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Purely for your entertainment, a different kind of burn-out... smokeeen... (Greta was not amused...) ;)

277308243_1398628983920482_6162167312201224847_n.jpg

The rear wheel of a friend's 70ies Kawa Z750...

Back then it seemed kinda fashion to force a metric tire onto a rim designated for dimensions in inch...
It sat for decades, it wouldn't bulge and before damaging the (now rare) rim, I opened it up to cut the bead-wire with strong cable cutters... :cool:
I had to do that to get a BT020 off the rim. Hardest sidewalls known to man, I believe. But I used a hacksaw through the tire and then a Dremel for the steel belts at the bead so I didn’t hit the wheel.

Top Bottom