Changing things up!! Explorer XC

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
Conrats Dave. This bike has tweaked my interest also.

I'm sure I won't be the only one at OHSTOC "drooling" over your bike.

Andy:bow1:

Bike
BMW K1600GT
Dave,
I'm eyeballin' that bike also for a trip planned to Alaska. Did you get it from Second Wind BMW? Great guys there. I just bought a house in Manchester. I retire from FT Bragg next year and will live in NH. I planned for the SouthWest but was overruled by household six.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Dave,
I'm eyeballin' that bike also for a trip planned to Alaska. Did you get it from Second Wind BMW? Great guys there. I just bought a house in Manchester. I retire from FT Bragg next year and will live in NH. I planned for the SouthWest but was overruled by household six.
Yes, got it from Second Wind. Awesome dealership, would buy another bike there!! I am eyeing the BMW 1600 GT sport...just a little out of my price range.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Its great to see someone with an adventure bike on an adventure. Looks like you got a winner!

Bike
ST1300 2004
I am also interested in this bike and was wondering if you have gotten the recalls done yet?

Bike
Tiger Explorer
STOC #
There is a recall to replace the ECU, verified with my dealer in New Orleans. The dealer told me there have been some issues with the throttle position sensor causing the engine to shut down. I have not had any issues with my 2013 Explorer nor a friend of mine with his 2012 Trophy. Its a really nice bike.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I haven't had any issues either, i have not checked with the dealer yet... I think in the US the recall doesn't start until February sometime? I could be wrong.

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Dave
Guess I missed this post about new bike! I have rode the Explorer and really liked the bike. Glad you are enjoying it!

Randy

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Dave
Guess I missed this post about new bike! I have rode the Explorer and really liked the bike. Glad you are enjoying it!

Randy
Thanks Randy.....got it last fall, different than the ST, but still liking it!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought you could get a new top end - cylinder head and associated internal parts - for the asking. Something about excessive valve train noise.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I thought you could get a new top end - cylinder head and associated internal parts - for the asking. Something about excessive valve train noise.
So far, my bike has been running great! I have read that about the excessive noise and one post, he had it done and it still sounded the same.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
There's a TSB on heads for Explorers and Trophys and the Trophy has an ECM recall. I'd assume the recall would also apply to the Explorer too since its the same power train. The TSB is only up through a certain engine number while the ECM recall affects all 2013 models although it also references VIN numbers. Note one speaks to engine numbers and the other to VINs. The TSB is not mandatory if you'r bike doesn't have the top end tic many seem to.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
So far, my bike has been running great! I have read that about the excessive noise and one post, he had it done and it still sounded the same.
He probably didn't have the noise to begin with--some do and some don't. It's noticeable and different from the normal sound. You get an extra year warranty if you have the TSB performed.

STOC #
A buddy of mine has a 2012 Exploder.. great bike. Went all the way from Prudhoe bay to Key West with not one problem.. My Weestrom was another matter.. So much for Japanese reliability. He probably has about 60k on the clock by now. Only problem is the bike has a bad case of RDS. After coming off an ST you kinda get use to 300 mile days.. The big triumph has Range Deficiency Syndrome… Lucky to get 220 miles on a tank with a soft throttle hand.. Other than that it's a peach!!

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Only problem is the bike has a bad case of RDS. After coming off an ST you kinda get use to 300 mile days.. The big triumph has Range Deficiency Syndrome? Lucky to get 220 miles on a tank with a soft throttle hand.. Other than that it's a peach!!
Yes, I agree...working on that right now with an aux fuel tank. Trying to get another 100+ miles.

STOC #
Yes, I agree...working on that right now with an aux fuel tank. Trying to get another 100+ miles.
Mike,ST 1300 rider as well, was looking for a "gently pre owned" Triumph Explorer gas tank to increast the capacity on. He thinks the flare where the Triumph logo is could be used to increase capacity...

Top Bottom