Clutch Slave Leaking - 2003 ST1300

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hi All-

After replacing my water pump and cleaning up things under the hood so to speak, I came back the next morning to find a small puddle under the bike, this time at the rear of the engine.

Ah, yes. The dreaded clutch slave leak. Quickly I whipped thru the forums and found these:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st-clutch-questions.177968/#post-2324241
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/1050-10-hours-to-replace-clutch-slave-cylinder-true.177743/page-2#post-2321207

Very helpful indeed and thanks to Igofar for the pictures and advice in the above threads.
I'd like to add a couple of thoughts for anyone else willing to do this - and yes it can be done.
It looks impossible, but I assure you it is not - the right tools are your friends.
I did invent new curse words which helped me get through this. I won't share them 'cause I want you to invent some yourself!

Parts Used:
1) 22862-MGJ-D00 - Gasket
2) 22864-MT7-006 - Spring
3) 22865-MJ8-063 - Cup seal - Slave piston
4) 81204-MB0-013 - Inner seal - Engine side
5) 91209-MB0-003 - Oil Seal - Piston side
6) QTY 3 copper brake line washers
7) Anti seize compound

Thoughts:
1) Don't even start until you have both flex head ratchets and flex sockets - at least the 8mm flex socket for the slave bolts anyway.
2) See the pictures below - I grabbed random pics from ebay so you could see the tools.
3) Note this is DOT 4 brake fluid in the ST1300.
4) I did this rather quickly except for the inner engine seal. I decided to torture myself and include replacement of that seal while I was in there.
5) I removed the exhaust pipes since I am planning on coating them with Cerakote (more on that later).
6) On my main lift, I raised the bike's rear end using a scissor lift under the engine so I could move the center stand out of the way. I used a 2x4 under the rear wheel.
7) If you have big hands as I do, well, it can be done.
8) Long nose pliers - with bent tips for reaching into tiny places are a great thing to have. Especially for extracting/replacing the banjo bolt.
9) I did not remove the oil filter. If I did this again, perhaps I would.

Other:
I used an xacto to remove the gasket. It was easier when I removed the dowel pins that align the clutch slave.
Be careful with it. You don't want to puncture the hoses going/from the oil cooler.

I cleaned the parts in brake cleaner and soapy water. I used my dremel to get into and remove the crud from the piston and slave and gently polished everything with some used scotchbrite.
I used anti-seize on all bolts except the banjo.

I replaced all 3 brake line washers on the banjo with new copper washers. Don't skimp on this. You might get away with reusing, but then....

You don't have to remove the VSS, but it does give you a bit more room (remember I removed the exhaust pipes). Removing the VSS will cause oil loss of about 1/2 quart so consider an oil change as part of the routine.

Goodluck with your projects.

Flex sockets pic.PNGFlex wrench pic.PNG

I found that loosening the 8MM bleeder support bolt - shown here behind the clutch bleeder makes the banjo bolt and stack easier to work with.

2-Loosen bolt to make removal and install easier.JPG

Yuk. Where did all that gunk come from?

3-Nasty mess on slave.JPG

Ugh! Same on the inside.

4-Nasty mess inside engine-slave area.JPG

Parts used

6-Parts Used.JPG

Flipped over so you can see

7-Parts Used.JPG

Everything cleaned and being lubed with the brake fluid.

9-Lubricating slave and seal.JPG

I used a few dabs of brake grease on the seal and inside the piston's hole.

12-Brake grease on rod seal.JPG

New seal on the engine side. Yes, it was terrible to remove and replace.

13-New internal rod seal.JPG

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Nice pics.
Clear, in-focus pictures are always helpful.
I will wager you won't have any problems there for a good long while!
I note that you used a lift. I'm sure that helped a lot.

Jonb

Red Arr00w
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Did the same thing recently. My mother would have washed my mouth out with soap for all the bad words I uttered. It is a pain, but removing the engine was not something I wanted to get into.

Top Bottom