Boots Cold Toes

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
It's definitely winter here in the NE USA, I like to ride... Today I could not shake the cold toes, any one have any advice on how they keep the piggies warm when riding below freezing.

I'm on a 1300 with GW pegs, so they are one inch lower than stock. I had two pair of wool socks on, a light pair and a heavy pair, covered it all with Aerostich Combat Lights. I'm thinking wind deflectors, heated socks, different boots(not really, I love my boots). Thanks for any input.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
On my 1300 for the Last Ride Of The Year, I had cold toes as we left at 37 degrees. I have (formerly) Matrix boots which are properly sized, not too cramped in the toe box, and I wore wool blend socks. I'm hearing good things about Pearly's Possum Socks, and while they are expensive, and might even sound like a gimmick, I think I'll buy a pair before the winter is over.

Pearly's Possum Socks

I'm not inclined to add electric socks / liners to my WnS jacket and gloves, because it just seems too cumbersome. And the fact is, I don't ride very often in sub-freezing temps.
Maybe some of those chemical heated things like hikers use in their gloves, might be worth checking into. That assumes there's room in your boots for them... you definitely need to be sure there is enough room for a layer of air around / between your warming devices, and that includes wearing multiple sock layers.
The constriction may actually work against you.

Some may put their sock feet in a plastic grocery bag, and then into their boots, but I find my feet sweat too much in plastic, so again -- that could work against your efforts to stay warm.

I'll be interested to read what others are doing; there are lots of folk here who ride in much colder weather than I will.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I use Marino wool socks and thinsulate lined boots in winter and they do a decent job for the hour to hour and a half I'm going to be out in really cold weather. I used to wear snowmobile boots back in the 70's that had 1/2" thick felt liners but they are kind of cumbersome for shifting and braking.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't ride in very cold any more but I still use my bassproshop redhead merino wool socks. Bought then in around 2005 with a lifetime guaruntee and they are still in good shape. I think mine are a bit heavier than what is sold now.

Also in the old cold Kansas days I used Gerbing heated socks. The kind with wire run all over not the insoles. If you have those I turn them inside out so I know where the wire are run.

wow $58 for possum and merino now there is a gimmick..

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have some 'foot shields' made years ago for ST1100s that block the wind and they help a lot.
On the ST1100, they go under the grey tipover wings.
The originals were made out of plexiglas but that company closed so I had my former company make me some out of aluminum.
Doesn't have to be very thick just enough to stand up to the wind and road abuse.
They keep a good portion of the wind and water off the feet if properly designed.
Look closely at this picture and you can see the 'foot shields' just under the grey tipover wing.

Front View Out Small.JPG

I also have Gerbing heated socks (which I don't like) and Gerbing heated intersoles (which are some better) - both of which connect to the heat pants liners or with long cords to the jacket liner.

Second the Basspro merino wool socks, and they also have their heated insoles that are remote controlled and battery powered so no wires to mess with . In close to freezing temps on high they keep your feet warm for about two hours. So I bought two pair ,ride till batterys run down, stop for lunch change insoles and ride home.
Oh yeah stay away from steel toe and sole work boots as the steel sucks the heat from you feet.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
On my 1300 for the Last Ride Of The Year, I had cold toes as we left at 37 degrees. I have (formerly) Matrix boots which are properly sized, not too cramped in the toe box, and I wore wool blend socks. I'm hearing good things about Pearly's Possum Socks, and while they are expensive, and might even sound like a gimmick, I think I'll buy a pair before the winter is over.

Pearly's Possum Socks

I'm not inclined to add electric socks / liners to my WnS jacket and gloves, because it just seems too cumbersome. And the fact is, I don't ride very often in sub-freezing temps.
Maybe some of those chemical heated things like hikers use in their gloves, might be worth checking into. That assumes there's room in your boots for them... you definitely need to be sure there is enough room for a layer of air around / between your warming devices, and that includes wearing multiple sock layers.
The constriction may actually work against you.

Some may put their sock feet in a plastic grocery bag, and then into their boots, but I find my feet sweat too much in plastic, so again -- that could work against your efforts to stay warm.

I'll be interested to read what others are doing; there are lots of folk here who ride in much colder weather than I will.
Thanks Mark, I have used the same socks a few times, maybe not this exact combo, but probably. The temp and humidity could be just perfect for cold. My feet have been cold before, this time was right away and the whole time, lasted an hour after home too. They may have been to cramped. I too am interested in what others are saying, BTW I ordered the dead possums. Glad there is a purpose for them other than telling the grandkids they are ugly cats.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Only way to keep the tootsies warm in below 0°C weather is direct heat. So yeah, heated socks. Layered merino wool socks will help as well.
I must disagree.

I ride all year in Minnesota and only use heated gear when below 0°F (-18°C) and then only for my hands. Klim snowmobile boots with thermal socks keep my feet comfortable to -20°F (-29°C) without needing heat. The boots are clunky but shifting is still easily workable, but I wouldn't try to motocross or trail ride with them.

Hands in Klim's coldest weather gloves with liners are fine to 0°F for a 30 minute ride (with I must admit some pain in the fingers towards the end). If I'm out for longer than 30 minutes (my work commute) or when it is below 0°F, I plug in some heated gloves.

Keep in mind that you must keep your core warm. I'll layer up with base, mid and top cold weather gear on legs and torso when below 0°F. If your core gets cold, blood pulls back from your fingers and toes to keep your heart and lungs warm. Once that happens, you are done with comfortable hands and feet. Your body will sacrifice fingers and toes first.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I ride all year in Minnesota and only use heated gear when below 0°F (-18°C) and then only for my hands. Klim snowmobile boots with thermal socks keep my feet comfortable to -20°F (-29°C) without needing heat. The boots are clunky but shifting is still easily workable, but I wouldn't try to motocross or trail ride with them.
Which Boots?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Having good blood circulation helps most. Without that it really doesn't matter what you put on your feet they can get cold in warm weather as much as in cold.

In recent years I ride in temps that sometimes dip to -11F (-24C) and my toes might get a little cool down that low but they haven't really been cold yet. And I still wear my Alpinstars Air Plus V2 Gore-Tex XCR boots in those temps. I do put on a pair of thin socks FIRST to draw away any moisture, then a thicker pair of socks over those for insulation. If that doesn't do it then it would always work to add a plastic bag over all that inside the boot for extra wind blocking. This would also hold in the most heat. Otherwise heated socks or soles would be the way to go.

I've always read in articles of what to wear for cold weather survival to put the thin silk socks as the inner most layer with the thicker wool socks over them. If the thick socks are put on first your feet could start to sweat and the thick socks will hold that against your skin and the result is freezing feet.

I will admit that my current bike has great wind/weather protection for the lower legs and feet so that does help a lot. But on my CTX and ST where there was really NO foot protection from the elements I was wearing TM Solution boots and everything else the same as above and kept my feet warm below zeroF. And on my ST I rode as low as almost -16F (-26.5C) and my feet were still comfy.

The only electric heat I've ever used is heated gloves, and now I replaced those with heated grips inside my Kemimoto bar muffs.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use heated insoles, they work well, however this product keeps your toes warm for 5 hours at a time, for a reasonable price when bought in bulk.
I use these one-use toe warmers on cold mornings and for the days where it's cold all day I use the ones that are a complete foot pad. The latter last for 7 or 8 hours.

Big Bend 22F.jpg

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
.......advice on how they keep the piggies warm when riding below freezing. .....

I've seen Canadians keeping their feet warm working in -60F weather by using VBLs.

They recommended the "bread bag" hack equivalent if you do not have VBLs and it worked for me. Mentioned here.

And well described here as well.

Boots a bit looser than usual help, where you can move your toes freely and maintain good blood circulation. And a heated seat also seems to help keep warmer feet a bit longer.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Once your toes get cold you usually need to add external heat.

When skiing I use the chemical toe warmers. They stick to your sock / boot and are shaped for feet. Don't use the hand warmers as they are too big and too hot for your feet. Use the toe warmers.

Alternatively you can get heated footbeds (insoles) for your boots, or heated socks. Both can be run battery or powered depending on the model.

You can also look at neoprene boot covers (I think you can get other materials too) but they don't deal with any heat loss from the bottom of the boot, and again once your feet are cold they won't help.

While these are rooted in my skiing experience, they should easily alternate to motorcycle use. After all it's just a boot heating system.

Haven't had the extreme cold feet on the bike yet (thankfully), only cold hands. Cold feet skiing, yes sometimes.

Just my 2 cents. (and the 2 cents of others above..)

You've now got around 8 cents to play with. Enjoy!

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Heated insoles, plugged into my heated pant liners. Heated glove liners plugged into heated jacket sleeves. Several hours at 4 degrees F, was no problem.

John
And how many times do we read about heated gear failing....broken wires, faulty controller....or worse....adverse effects on bike due to current draw. Combine all those 'opportunities' of failure, one might say it's a matter of when, not if. And when all the electrics fail, not good.
Layers and proper materials do not fail.
I've just used insulated and goretex lined Red Wings with various sock combos. Good to 25-30° for as long as I want to ride in the winter time.
YMMV.

Top Bottom