Boots Cold Toes

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I remember silk underwear and socks were the best items to keep you warm when downhill skiing. The socks were amazing!
I now have this in my arsenal to fend off the cold.
Heated jacket, heated glove liners, heated chaps, heated insoles. The jacket on one circuit the chaps gloves and insoles on another. These products are from Gears, they use carbon fibre ribbon instead of wires. The chaps are the most time consuming to put on so I only use them when I know I will be riding for a few hours. The full combo is a game changer in cold weather. ;)
Downhill skiing involves a whole lot more activity than sitting on a bike though.
When I'm hunting and get cold, I get up and walk for awhile. Warm right up!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Getting your hands in and out of the bar muffs is not an issue IF you have the muffs that have a stiff opening that holds its shape to get your hands into. I tried a few other cheap sets (cheaply made not necessarily cheap cost) of bar muffs that were very floppy and found I needed a third hand to get my 2 hands into them simply due to the opening flopping closed on me. As to rain... I really haven't noted that issue since I don't usually use the muffs in the rain. I am usually using them when it's too cold for rain and snow just bounces off. My muffs do close around my wrists (inside of the 2 inches where they are stiff) to block any water running down my sleeve. But I really don't know about that as I said.

Bike
05 ST1300
I’ve never been a fan of riding when it’s below freezing. Just plain scares me, afraid of hitting icy patches mostly. I have ended up riding below freezing a few times on long distance rides, but when that happens I get off the road and wait for warmer temps, usually the next AM. But I’ve never been bothered by my feet getting cold, I tuck them in as close to the motor as I can and I’m fine. I use heated hand grips, and sufficient layers to keep the cold at bay. Heated upper and lower is nice too although I think I’ve only ever used the lowers once. And that’s been on all day rides a few times too, but always above freezing. So not much help here folks….

v8-7

Site Supporter
Coming home from the blue ridge ride a few years back, my toes were freezing . I put plastic bags over my boots and they worked great for few hundred miles.
I think my Frog togs came with "slip over the boot rain booties" and they worked great and lasted longer ..

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Brilliant. Thank you @Willsmotorcycle . Ordered. That opening looks to be plenty big enough, even for my hands.

@v8-7 - goodness, I had forgotten all about those overboots. My dad gave me some when I first started riding in my early 20s. I've never seen them since.

I often used the poly bag trick when going out on the pushbike. Except my foot went into the bag before I put on cycling shoes to go out in the rain. Then cut/ torn off round the ankles. I've done the same with bike boots when my brand new Sidi Black Rain Evo fully waterproof boots leaked at the first sign of Scotland rain. First long tour on my first 1100. April 2000, cold, wet, but being the first tour, one to cherish and remember. I thought I had bought the perfect solution to cold wet feet, but they let me down badly. I am sure
that it must have been a rogue pair, as the name continues to be used. It was over 20 years ago and I have never bought anything Sidi since. "There's no education in the second kick from a mule."

1704865088542.pngWet socks just drain away any warmth. I now use Altberg boots. (Hogg all weather microlight motorcycle touring boot.) Leather, breathable linings, vibram soles made for motorcylists by a company that makes walking boots and are used by police and army. I already had their walking boots, and these are made from the same base as those. Fitted in the factory with a pair of thin socks and a pair of thick winter hiking socks. In spite of their Austrian sounding name, the factory is about an hour away in Richmond, North Yorkshire. Plenty of air space around the toes, without ever feeling loose. Nik-waxed regularly, Always warm. Always bone dry inside.

I couldn't get my feet 'round the bend' of their standard police issue Clubman Roadster boot, but these are ideal - about a half size larger than my normal foot size to accommodate thicker socks for winter use, but still comfortable with thinner hiking socks in the Summer.

Expensive, but worth every penny. 16 years, 130,000 miles so far. They are a fair size, with a tall vibram, cushioned sole, and brake and gear lever operation feel and foot position took a little getting used to - but a little time was all that was needed - no adjustment necessary on the 1100 or the 1300.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Brilliant. Thank you @Willsmotorcycle . Ordered. That opening looks to be plenty big enough, even for my hands.

@v8-7 - goodness, I had forgotten all about those overboots. My dad gave me some when I first started riding in my early 20s. I've never seen them since.

I often used the poly bag trick when going out on the pushbike. Except my foot went into the bag before I put on cycling shoes to go out in the rain. Then cut/ torn off round the ankles. I've done the same with bike boots when my brand new Sidi Black Rain Evo fully waterproof boots leaked at the first sign of Scotland rain. First long tour on my first 1100. April 2000, cold, wet, but being the first tour, one to cherish and remember. I thought I had bought the perfect solution to cold wet feet, but they let me down badly. I am sure
that it must have been a rogue pair, as the name continues to be used. It was over 20 years ago and I have never bought anything Sidi since. "There's no education in the second kick from a mule."

1704865088542.pngWet socks just drain away any warmth. I now use Altberg boots. (Hogg all weather microlight motorcycle touring boot.) Leather, breathable linings, vibram soles made for motorcylists by a company that makes walking boots and are used by police and army. I already had their walking boots, and these are made from the same base as those. Fitted in the factory with a pair of thin socks and a pair of thick winter hiking socks. In spite of their Austrian sounding name, the factory is about an hour away in Richmond, North Yorkshire. Plenty of air space around the toes, without ever feeling loose. Nik-waxed regularly, Always warm. Always bone dry inside.

I couldn't get my feet 'round the bend' of their standard police issue Clubman Roadster boot, but these are ideal - about a half size larger than my normal foot size to accommodate thicker socks for winter use, but still comfortable with thinner hiking socks in the Summer.

Expensive, but worth every penny. 16 years, 130,000 miles so far. They are a fair size, with a tall vibram, cushioned sole, and brake and gear lever operation feel and foot position took a little getting used to - but a little time was all that was needed - no adjustment necessary on the 1100 or the 1300.
John, happy new year, and......
Interesting about the Rain Evo's, Er'Indoors is on er second pair, never let a drop in, albeit on the pillion.
I concur on the Altberg's, mine are the velcro up the side version, ex job boots, now around 20 years old and they've been re-soled at the factory. Superb boots.
Upt.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Heated WnS jacket liner. H-D electric gloves.

Once temps drop below a bone-chillin' 50ºF its:

Wool socks of any make and model. Feet up watching telly. Bare hands wrapped around a 20oz ceramic mug of hot chocolate.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
WnS is good for me down to about 30F.
Jacket liner and gloves.
I've yet to experiment with the GSA, but with heated grips, seat and Hippo Hands I should be prepared to participate in the PaulCB Memorial Ride.
There's still plenty of winter left, at least on my calendar.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Update on gear (sock) choice. I brought in some Wool/ Opossum blend and Alpaca. The black are reminiscent of my Grandmother’s hand knitting from the 70’s. The gray and black are like any other expensive sock.
IMG_6235.jpeg
One seems gimmicky though. I will wear one of each and see how they feel

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I would be very interested in the possum blend, all jokes aside.
Did you get the Pearly's brand? They are the first and only ones I've heard of.
Thanks.

Top Bottom