Boots Cold Toes

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Update on gear (sock) choice. I brought in some Wool/ Opossum blend and Alpaca. The black are reminiscent of my Grandmother’s hand knitting from the 70’s. The gray and black are like any other expensive sock.
IMG_6235.jpeg
One seems gimmicky though. I will wear one of each and see how they feel
FYI if you get addicted to these you'll officially be a socks maniac.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Thick Meriwool Merino socks and a good pair of 4 season waterproof Goretex boots (currently just starting to break in a pair of Sidi Performers after wearing out the 3rd pair of TCX boots, that used to be called Oxtar Infinity) is what I use. I don't usually ride in extreme sub-temps (hard to find in SC), but have been in temps in the low twenties, and have not had any issues. YMMW.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I would be very interested in the possum blend, all jokes aside.
Did you get the Pearly's brand? They are the first and only ones I've heard of.
Thanks.
In this subjective testing, the opossum is the hands/ feet’s down winner. About 4.5 hours in them and twenty minutes home now. The alpaca foot is still cold and the opossum is not. However, the alpaca was tight in the boot, much thicker sock, maybe with larger boots they would be better. I have to say the blend are warmer than just my normal wool of the same weight. I will try this A/B test again with one wool and one opossum. This was kinda fun, except the cold foot.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I now use Altberg boots. (Hogg all weather microlight motorcycle touring boot.)
That's a nice looking boot. I've got a pair of Wolverine boots that are good in cold weather but are tiring to walk around in as well as shifting and braking. There's very little flexibility in them. How do these fair for walking?

A good review of the Altberg Microlites.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The sole and bottom part are virtually identical to my Altberg Hiking boots. They are comfortable to wear, with a little extra space, they are not claustraphobic when sitting down to eat after a long morning ride. The higher nature of the boot means that they are not as convenient as the hiking boots, but to walk around a town they are ok. Better, I think than my previous Heine Gericke boots and Sidis.

I got these because the make them with extra wide fitting. I have very high instep and arch, which makes getting boots on and off awkward. These don't exactly slip on, but they are better than any other boot I have worn.

No fancy quick release mechanical clasps. Good old fashioned laces.

They are a big, clunky boot - and take a couple of days riding before the feel for the brake/gear pedals comes naturally. But These are a Uk size 12.5 - Eu 48 - Usa 13.5. They have been, and still are, excellent.

Yes that is a good review. I didn't have the choice when I bought mine. I needed the wide fitting, and at the time, the microlite wasn't built on the wide sole.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
In this subjective testing, the opossum is the hands/ feet’s down winner. About 4.5 hours in them and twenty minutes home now. The alpaca foot is still cold and the opossum is not. However, the alpaca was tight in the boot, much thicker sock, maybe with larger boots they would be better. I have to say the blend are warmer than just my normal wool of the same weight. I will try this A/B test again with one wool and one opossum. This was kinda fun, except the cold foot.
So the sock was on the other foot... foot was on the other sock rather. I did the same temp, same time, same road, same speed. One Opossum, one same weight Merino Wool. I would have to say it's the tree rat again. It is a very nice sock, over the calf, seemingly warmer than any other I have for the weight. Plastics my boy, nah, opossums my boy. On the coldest days it will be the opossum and they are definitely going on tour.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Possum socks- I never heard of them until I read this post. I am now a possum sock wearer in possession of two pairs over the calf which work perfect with my Sidi on Road Goretex boots- thanks for sharing

Top Bottom