Coldest Ride, 2020-2021 Winter

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Getting restless here. Every day this week it has snowed a little. 2+ inches one day and then just a trace the next. We just hit the high temp for today at just over +3.7 F per my outdoor thermometer. Chances have been and will continue to be more than I like for some little bit of snow in the next week. Next weekend the low temps are expected around -15 to -19 F (below zero F that is), but that keeps changing as expected even though staying close to that. Coldest mornings of the season, and for several seasons now. The new rear tire is mounted and the wheel back on the bike when the temp was last just above freezing so went for a very short ride of about 12 miles just to start getting some miles on the new rubber. I may have to take a chance on iffy roads this weekend and get a few more miles in just 'cuz I don't like going for so long without a ride.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Temps here are not nearly as cold as my last ride and we're expecting 6-12" of snow tonight so I'm on a holding pattern as well :)

Cold or not, I am missing riding!

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I just got out for the first time in 9 days and only because a strip of ice on our street melted the width of my tires allowing me to get out. It was 24 degrees so not so cold. We are supposed to get a below zero day within a week the terrorists are saying so if the snow stays away maybe I can get in a cold ride.

Solid ice shaded by a couple big pines that refuses to melt, but there was one strip I was able to ride thru today.

• Wow
Reactions: Obo

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
Yes, but the 3 wheelers have one very important advantage: stability on icy roads.
Hijacking the thread a little. Not all 3 wheelers give stability on icy roads. Ridden mine once on snowy roads...... never again (a conventional sidecar outfit is great, but not mine :) . No chance of entering the competition though. UK on Covid lockdown (ish) can't justify a 15 mile journey as essential at the moment. Both 1100s tucked up in the garage.

Attachments

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Not all 3 wheelers give stability on icy roads. Ridden mine once on snowy roads...... never again (a conventional sidecar outfit is great, but not mine :) .
BUT, wouldn't you agree that the 3 wheels do provide MORE stability on slippery surfaces than motorcycles with their 2 wheels?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Hijacking the thread a little. Not all 3 wheelers give stability on icy roads. Ridden mine once on snowy roads...... never again (a conventional sidecar outfit is great, but not mine :) . No chance of entering the competition though. UK on Covid lockdown (ish) can't justify a 15 mile journey as essential at the moment. Both 1100s tucked up in the garage.
Unless one was thinking 3 wheelers as these vs a sidecar.

1612796203326.png

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Well now, looks like I'll move to the top of the list at 3°F.

There were some meetings today I needed to attend in person and the roads have been clear for the last few days so...
(Remember I've sold my Yamaha WR250 winter/bad weather bike since I'm not planning commutes until post-CoVid)

Decided I didn't want to wrestle with the ST1300's weight during possible slides so checked out the alternates.

Turned the key on my wife's Honda Grom, hit the starter, and got: err..., err..., clunk, nothing.
Switched to my Son's KTM Duke 390 with similar results.
Switched to my Daughter's Yamaha Ninja 300 and she fired right up.

Left the house at -2°F
2021.02.10_RideInStart.jpg

Stopped to get a shot at "The Bank"
2021.02.10_RideInMid.jpg

Got to work after 25 miles and 30 minutes riding at 3°F.
2021.02.10_RideInEnd.jpg

Parked for 5 hours as I meet with various teams and headed home for another 30 minute ride in sunny 8°F weather.

No issues. Roads were dry when moving fast and hard packed snow getting in and out of my neighborhood. I was a bit worried about not having heated grips so I put in some "Little Hottie" chemical heaters in my gloves but I think they were way too old to do much. On the ride home I just did without.

Gear was just my Klim cold weather set. No electric heat anywhere, just what my body was putting out. Only discomfort was some cold-ache in my little fingers on the ride in. No discomfort anywhere on the ride home with the extra 10 degree warmer air.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
good job mudduc!

Supposed to get cold like that here in a couple days, but we've had about 14" of snow here in the last 2 days and more snow on the way. Don't know when the streets will be clear again.

Last edited:

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Go @mudduc

My sweetie said I'd be the coldest for the year.
Me, nah, someone in Minnesota will probably be the one.
I missed my shot at somewhere between -3 and 3 a few days back. The forecast was for 10. I woke up to 3 but the sun was rising and it warmed up quickly. neighbor sent a screen shot of -3 at dawn.
Sunday night forecast for 5. With a little luck and some work on the driveway I might have another shot at it.
I have become a freeze baby as I've aged but I have the gear.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
@sirbike

I doubt my 3 will hold.
I'm thinking of going for a ride on Sunday. There is a high of -6 projected and no snow expected between now and then.

But...
1. I don't have a "winter" bike right now.
2. I don't really ride just to ride. I need a place to be and a reason to go but I'll always go there by motorcycle if possible.

Someone else in Minnesota should step up this weekend and set a below-zero number to chase. If my driveway wasn't an ice rink I'd think about taking out the new-to-me 2005 ST myself. The ST has heated grips and a lot more wind protection compared to the other 4 street bikes in the garage.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Snow flurries this afternoon. Before that the driveway and street in front of my house were JUST starting to look like I could navigate them out to a busier road that WAS clear. Not so much now for any of the streets. More snow expected overnight and tomorrow night. Otherwise Monday and Tuesday mornings are looking like temps will be down between -16 and -14 F. I'm just a little south of Minnesota. :biggrin:
Wish I could get out there on 2 wheels. Want to scrub the new rear tire a little more. Getting a bit crazed being stuck in a cage for any ventures away from the house... as few as those are these days anyway.

edit: just checked again. Expecting a low of -19F Monday morning right around 8 am.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
2. I don't really ride just to ride. I need a place to be and a reason to go but I'll always go there by motorcycle if possible.
Place to be - minimum 8 miles from your house (aka 16 miles return & just over the 15 mile minimum)
Reason to go - get first place in the coldest ride 2020 game.

Well ok, so you have 1st place. How about to best your current record?

All the folks up north won't be impressed, but us folks down here mid-south Texas way will experience an oddball weather day this Monday.

Prediction is a low of 7°F ... to put into perspective, the record for Houston area is 7°F for Dec 23 1989 at Bush airport and 5° Jan 1930 "elsewhere" in Houston area ... keep in mind, it was 70°F two days ago, and we're waaay north of Houston in the sticks, so will see a lower temp.

Unfortunately, I'll not beat, what, the 3° current standing...

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
"I don't really ride just to ride. I need a place to be and a reason to go but I'll always go there by motorcycle if possible."

How odd - I don't recall a motorcyclist state that. For me (and many others I know), it's the journey, not the destination.
In the past, I raced bikes for about 10 years.
Lot of fun and lot of miles going no place in particular but trying to get there faster than everyone else. My wife and I still remember the summer of 1997 as the most fun we have had in our lives. Three regional and one national championship titles in club racing. My "pro" career lasted only 2 attempts and 2 practice sessions ending in broken bones.

After racing, I did track days and moved to race track coaching while also doing plenty of day rides with friends to lunches and stuff. After a while, my social anxiety, depression and two baby time suck pulled me away from friends and I stopped having ride invites. About the same time I lost interest in packing up and driving to race tracks just to run around in a circle for no real reason. (Although, I do remember feeling really good when a student gushed with joy about something they just learned or accomplished)

So now, 25 years after racing and 20 years post track day/lunch outings, I combat crippling depression by setting up responsibilities I can't avoid. Getting out of bed without a reason to do so is hard. Getting on the bike just because it will be fun isn't enough motivation. But, if I have to go somewhere, taking the motorcycle gets me there in a much better mood then before I started.

For now, I'm committed to being a productive asset at my day job (principal software engineer) but that doesn't give me a reason to ride anymore and I'm notably more grumpy. The two 30 minutes periods of real live video game strafing traffic were all the anti-depression medicine required but I'm currently off that prescription (CoVid).

I'm also committed to providing all the tree work bids requested and doing all the tree work I book. This makes me get on the bike to do bids and get a bunch of exercise when work is booked. The side hustle doing tree work has expanded (word-of-mouth advertising only) to about 2 jobs a week all summer so I get plenty of rides and workouts. I'm licensed, bonded and insured so ask me to give a bid and I'll have to ride over and look at the job.

Sorry for the long (and cathartic) explanation but really I can't just get on the bike for no reason. I need somewhere to go and somewhere to be or I just won't get out of bed or leave the house. Kind of sucks but that's the reality.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

p.s. I was going to move this to another thread but didn't see a "mental health" sub-thread under "rider assistance". Don't want to hijack this thread but I did want to say the above. Any suggestions on where this should really go?

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@mudduc I think it;s fine to stay here if you have no objections. It's not any more off topic than what others of us post in this thread sometimes..

Thanks for sharing something personal and letting us have insight into what you wrote and why. It's only by us all talking about it that it becomes as normal a thing to talk about as the weather or what someone had for dinner. I completely understand about the form of therapy that riding gives, and how it's sometimes hard to do something unless you have to. I too suffer from depression, all though I'd not say it was crippling like yours. Riding (when I can) helps me focus the brain somewhere else, but there are also times I can't ride as my head is just not into the care and attention I need to practice to ride safe. Distracted riding is dangerous.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
@mudduc I think it's fine to stay here if you have no objections. It's not any more off topic than what others of us post in this thread sometimes..
Riding (when I can) helps me focus the brain somewhere else, but there are also times I can't ride as my head is just not into the care and attention I need to practice to ride safe. Distracted riding is dangerous.
Thanks for the vote to let it stay. I'd like @paulcb to weigh in as the OP if possible and make sure he agrees.

Re: brain focus and distracted riding...
That was the best thing about racing for me. When on the race track, there was absolutely no spare time for frivolous thoughts or worries or anything other than being right here right now rapidly working all the options and executing split-second decisions. Racing motorcycles with adequate competition is the best mind-clearing meditative technique I've come across. When I was younger I could achieve that clarity playing Asteroids once the levels got high enough to demand absolute focus for survival (as a rock-breaker not a cheating bounty-hunter<-- not that I expect anyone to know what that means).

When my kids started exhibiting similar depression/anxiety/OCD/ADHD stuff, I bought an Asteroids machine and tried to get them interested but that didn't catch on. Motorcycling seems to be in the blood for one but not the other child. Still an ongoing struggle to assure they also get the help they need.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
(as a rock-breaker not a cheating bounty-hunter<-- not that I expect anyone to know what that means).
Leave a single rock (big or smaller) and hunt the smaller faster enemies for maximum points... and I didn't even have to look that up.

If you got creative you drilled a hole in a quarter and attached some thread to it. The key was not to let it drop to far down the slot so the anti removal spring made you lose the quarter AND the thread. You used thread as if the attendant came around it was easy and quick to break..

I agree about the focus bit. There's been more than once I've turned around and went back home to get the cage as my head just wasn't in to riding a motorcycle. Luckily I realized it as I'm sure there are times I didn't. It's debatable if I should have been in a cage too if I was preoccupied elsewhere. :)

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the vote to let it stay. I'd like @paulcb to weigh in as the OP if possible and make sure he agrees.
No worries on my end, chat away about anything you like. In general, I prefer fewer rules, not more... live and let live so to speak, within reason of course. Just don't make me dig too deep to find the temps I need to post for you guys! ;)

The forecast here for this coming Tuesday morning is currently -4°. :eek: If the roads are clear, I may give it a go, with all my electrics of course. I think my personal best is 14° a few years ago.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
(as a rock-breaker not a cheating bounty-hunter<-- not that I expect anyone to know what that means).
Ah, brings back memories... used to leave just one rock floating and cruise my ship up/down to destroy enemy ships. Guess I was a cheating bounty hunter! ;)

Top Bottom