Coldest Ride, 2020-2021 Winter

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, family obligations completed and returned home. The temps were significantly warmer than the official low of -17F this morning and were still at -6F so I decided to suit up and head out to see what it would be when I reached the farthest end of the route I wanted to ride earlier today. I am thinking that my blood circulation is definitely not what is was when I was younger... like 10 years ago.
On my way out I passed the bank time/temp sign that is just down the road from my house and it showed -4F. I found the clear path on a little bit of country roads, a little bit of city streets, and even a little bit of 55 mph highway to get to the next bank time/temp sign at the far end of my route today. Only went 20.7 miles this time. A little more than yesterday but good enough to satisfy my urge to ride for a little longer. That second time/temp sign showed -4F also. I only encountered a narrow ribbon of packed snow/ice in two places... at the entrance to this banks parking lot and at the end of my driveway. At least those were the only places I had to ride over so no issues in spite of all the other roads that are still 100% covered in the area.

PXL_20210216_170340647.jpg

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
If had figured out how to ride my bike with 6 inches of snow on the road this morning I would have recorded a 1 degree ride. No snow plows so no ride.

Reactions: Obo

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Well, looks like I have one more shot at moving up the chart. Going to be 5 degrees in the morning. After that a warming trend probably spells the end of qualifying temps for this winter. However riding in the morning would require me to ride in some pretty sketchy conditions, thanks to that storm that came up from Texas. We've had the second snowiest February in Cinti history with 22 inches of snow ( on average we get 5" in Feb). We got 2 inches night before last, and 2" the night before that. Plus it's been below freezing for weeks so the snow hasn't had a chance to melt. My wife went to the grocery today and I asked her how the roads were...if I could ride safely... and she said the main roads were good, but the secondary roads iffy. I would have to weave from 1 lane to the other ( much like rjs the other day). I probably wont risk it.

So good luck to the other guys on the list, I'm rooting for you. If you get out, have fun, but ride safe. It's always fun playing the game with y'all.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I'm definitely done for this season. Not likely to see any more temps below freezing... at a time I'm awake to ride anyway. Next week we do expect a few days with early morning temps in the mid to upper 20sF but after that all above freezing. Removed the electric heated gloves cable from my jacket and will likely also put away the controller for them as well and remove the extra thermal liner from the riding pants. Time to get out the summer gloves just to have on hand for days that show to be getting warmer and warmer. Today is expected to be 74F and the next week temps will be down to the mid and upper 40sF and them bounce back up into the mid 50sF after that. Should be now able to tack on more miles each week though :biggrin:

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yeah, I was thinking we might be done, but we'll run it out a few more weeks and see if anyone can move the numbers. It's funny, much of the country had that super cold spell, but I'm guessing none of us could get out and ride. I certainly couldn't, and by the time the roads were clear, it was 60°!

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
We didn't get the super cold temps here in Puget Sound that we occasionally get. One year, I got a couple days of commuting at @16F for about an hour each way. I think the lowest it got this year was in the mid to high 20s.

This is one of those competitions where it pays to use some common sense. Yesterday was clear by the time I went to the park to meet a friend for a morning walk. The temp was in the high 20s. But there was ice everywhere. Just walking had me slipping at times.

New record for me this year at a balmy 10 degrees. Actually had a group of us in Indiana take a 45 min ride around town a few Saturdays back.

First ride of the year. Dug a path to the road. 23°F just warm enough to keep the ice off the road in the sun. No bugs, no traffic, no tourists. Always nice to have Muskoka to yourself. (Although, we are happy to share once the 'nice' weather comes) Now I just have to get out my camping gear. 2021 has alot to do to make up for last year.:rd11::wine2::canflag1:

Attachments

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, I rode to northern Colorado this past week, thinking I might get a cold ride in up in the mountain passes, but the lowest I saw was 28°. I'm guessing no one will post anymore, so congrats to our 2020-2021 winner, rjs987! Note that last year's winner was mudduc, with rjs987 in 2nd place, so they just switched this year. sirbike, Big Country, the Ferret and Uncle Phil made their usual top 10. As per unofficial contest protocols, your trophy and check are in the mail Bob. ;)

1620067159628.png

Thanks for playing everyone... I expect we'll do this again next year.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
and thanks again Paul for hosting. I love it that a guy who rarely see's freezing hosts the Cold Ride Contest. So cool!

Due to some medical issue this year I'm way behind on the Mileage Tracker

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Thanks for running things, Paul.
Hope to have a new winter bike before things start up again this fall.

Enjoy the warmth for now everyone. It is about this time of year that I forget we have winters around here.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota
(Every day is a good day to ride. Some days are just better than others.)

Top Bottom