Commo Advice - FRS? GMRS? etc.?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I plan on taking a trip with family in two cars.

What's the best way to communicate between vehicles separated in traffic, etc.

Shuey

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Cell phone.

Buy a burner phone if needed. They're cheap and when your trip is done, you just put it aside for the next trip.

Chris

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Because . . . only one of the two cars knows the way! :rolleyes:
Shuey

PS: Regarding burner phones . . . nothing wrong with the ones we have, but part of our route has sketchy cell coverage.

Bike
R1200rt
Cell phone is the best, problem with blue tooth is range but there are still walkie-talkies out there cheap, under $20 with a 1- 4 mile radius

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thanks for the responses so far.

- Checked out Sena and all I could fine was their Sena Freewire. It's basically a CB with bluetooth capability. But . . . pricy.
- Cell phones, we'll have them in any case.
- FRS radio range seems tied to watts output.

Found this pair on Amazon and available locally at Best Buy. 1.8 watts and 18 hours of run time.
Plus, these have 60 channels of FRS AND 14 channels of GMRS (without a license requirement)
Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 6.07.09 PM.png

Found these two at Walmart:
2 watts and 18 hours of run time
b_2951.jpg

1.5 Watts and 9 hours of runtime.
a_2952.jpg

Thoughts?

Shuey

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I think anything over 2 watts needs an FCC license (if I recall correctly) - that's for GMRS radios vs FRS. If you have a choice GMRS are better. They usually have more power = more distance. Legally I think GMRS needs a license though.... so you're stuck with FRS.

They will all work about the same (mix of good and bad) due to obstructions between vehicles. You'll also want passengers to use them, so you don't get charged with using a handheld device, or have an accident.

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
- Checked out Sena and all I could fine was their Sena Freewire. It's basically a CB with bluetooth capability. But . . . pricy.
They also have adapters that reportedly add Mesh to Sena and non-Sena intercom sets:

Last edited:

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
The TX/RV radio world is just that... another world of where to begin and then where to stop? Could be another hobby for you??

For distance and economics I would go the GMRS route if your willing to spend some money on the license ($35???). 462-467 Mhz. thats the best your going to get with a over the counter radio with minimal licesensee. Anything else would be a big maybe and lots of enterference.
Yes- you do need to be "registered for gmrs with the FCC. however for short periods in your life you'll use it? I'd take my time registering.. LOL.

Keep in mind you only need a license if you transmit. listening is FREE!!!
However if your going to get a license you will first need a FRN number- apply HERE FIRST
Once you get your FRN number then you can get your GMRS license good for 10 yrs. APPLY HERE SECOND

Nest select a radio--- ANTENNA- ANTENNA- ANTenna then WATTAGE OUTPUT. is whats critical for distance.. obviously you will be stuck with what the hand held comes with. so make selections by close observation and print of radio specs.

I've purchased one of these in the past - BAOFENG GM-15 Pro GMRS. IF you go this route? -

you could also go the GMRS radio route and look for the radios that can be "unlocked" so you can listen on all channels. I DIDN"T tell you this! LOL.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the responses so far.

Thoughts?

Shuey
Well, not exactly. The Sena Freewire simply allows you to connect into the OEM entertainment system on your Goldwing or Harley dresser and use a Sena (or other Blutooth helmet system) to connect instead of the wired headset like the OEM or J&M style old-school headsets. You don't get any radio function that you didn't already have except for the ability to now fold in other Bluetooth devices that your OEM system didn't already support, like mobile phone connection, music or internet audio streaming, You can use the wireless intercom between two Sena headsets or you can use that which is part of the OEM system.

Yes, you need an FCC license to use the GMRS frequencies, but unlike an amateur radio license (ham radio) there's no knowledge test involved, just fill out the form and pay the fee. Plus it covers immediate family too. There are rules for its use, but they're not restrictive. This site tells you pretty much all you need to know.

STRider
KJ7OCE

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
CB radios. For years we drove to Florida and it was great back and forth coma to each car, other CBs on public channel were entertaining , most of the time. Also in one snow storm the truckers told us what was opened and closed. We had the ones with magnetic antennas on the roof, we never mounted the radio units, just kept them on console. Powered by cigarette lighter socket. I am sure you can pick a pair used for cheap.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
i have a cobra 148 Gtl and 146 Gtl thats been used on road trips to communicate between two vehicles, we talk on side band, my dad use to love side band

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
1711380301305.png

As long as you're in a cell phone coverage area, this works. The advantage to me, is if you're trying to coordinate getting the two cars together or where to stop (assuming you can't see each other), just put it on speaker phone and everyone can hear.

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
Because . . . only one of the two cars knows the way!
I think you need to teach the other car how to navigate. Maybe just park them side by side in a two car garage for a day or two?

You can always plot the route on Google Maps and print out a turn by turn description of the route and put that in each car. There is also the antiquated option of getting paper maps and highlighting the route.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Shuey has already mentioned part of the route won't have reliable cellular coverage.
My only addition to the above is, the battery life shouldn't be a factor; most of today's offerings will have a charging cable, most likely USB, that can be powered / charged from a USB adapter in either car, or similar 12v adapter.

Top Bottom