Cooling Stumped

Bike
05 ST-Candy Red
About 3 weeks ago I got the two bars, one bar, no bar issue so I figured the T-stat was gone. I replaced it and still getting the erratic bars. Could it be the ECM sensor? I replaced with eom thermostat from PowerSportsPlus.com. Highly unlikely a new t-stat could be defective right? The fans come on so I know those are working. Any ideas anyone? Anyone had same problem? :confused::confused:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Re: COOLLING STUMPED!!

Was the old thermostat that you pulled out stuck open???

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

About 3 weeks ago I got the two bars, one bar, no bar issue so I figured the T-stat was gone. I replaced it and still getting the erratic bars. Could it be the ECM sensor? I replaced with eom thermostat from PowerSportsPlus.com. Highly unlikely a new t-stat could be defective right? The fans come on so I know those are working. Any ideas anyone? Anyone had same problem? :confused::confused:
Did you replace it, or did a shop?
If you replaced it, was the vent (small loose rivet looking thing) at the top when installed?
Was the ground wire replaced correctly on the housing cover?
Also, things to check for: Check the radiator cap for damage, and check the overflow line (that goes to the coolant tank) to make sure it isn't clogged or abstructed.
Was the coolant system flushed out? You may have debris or black paint (common) in the system that jammed the new T-stat already.
After it was put back together, did you burp the air out of the system?
Igofar

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

Did you replace it, or did a shop?
If you replaced it, was the vent (small loose rivet looking thing) at the top when installed?
Was the ground wire replaced correctly on the housing cover?
Also, things to check for: Check the radiator cap for damage, and check the overflow line (that goes to the coolant tank) to make sure it isn't clogged or abstructed.
Was the coolant system flushed out? You may have debris or black paint (common) in the system that jammed the new T-stat already.
After it was put back together, did you burp the air out of the system?
Igofar
Let me hit all questions.
I did the job myself- followed service manual but didn't remove throttle body.
Not sure whether the vent was top- is this important? Manual didn't mention I think.
Ground properly replaced.
Cap is fine, overflow works.
I flushed the radiator and overflow tank
I noticed black paint but cleaned it all out as much as I could
Burp? Not sure how to do this but I closed the radiator, ran for 5 minutes, opened and topped with coolant. Is this what burping is?

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

Here's a new twist. On way back from testing ride stopped at store..ambient temp was 70s. Ten minutes later started the bike, indicated temp was 106. It came down to more realistic 70s about a minute into the ride. Not sure if this is all related to the current issue.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Here's a new twist. On way back from testing ride stopped at store..ambient temp was 70s. Ten minutes later started the bike, indicated temp was 106. It came down to more realistic 70s about a minute into the ride. Not sure if this is all related to the current issue.
Sounds like she's running hot.
Yes, the Vent is mentioned in the service manual, and yes, it is very important to which way it is installed.
Your T-stat was frozen big time by the photo (common)
If it were in my garage, here's what I would do to verify and for peace of mind.
Remove the tupperware again, remove the radiator hoses (Large ones) drain radiator, place towel over rear fender to protect it,
Then remove the (2) small 8mm bolts at the bottom of the radiator, and the one at the top and gently lean the entire unit forward (on towel)
to get to the T-stat housing again. Remove cover and verify the vent is at top of housing.
Now with the two large hoses off, take a scotch bright pad and scrape all the black paint off the pipes where the hoses fit onto, both inside and out!
Flush it out one more time, and put it all back together.
Fill the radiator up to the neck, start the bike and wait for (3) bars, now lay a rag across the open cap fitting and snap the throttle several times.
Your watching for foam and air to be expelled, when you can snap it quickly, and not alot of bubbles appear, simply top it off and close it up.
Be sure to check the over flow line for obstructions, and the plastic t fitting behind the cap (they crack alot).
Please feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.
Igofar

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

more realistic 70s about a minute into the ride. Not sure if this is all related to the current issue.
Prob just the outside temp going up from sitting and enginer heat rising in cowel... the temp indicates outside temp, not engine temp ( engine is by bar gauge)

v8-7

Site Supporter

If the vent was installed incorrectly( down), it won't fit quite flush and it would leak .

Burping is rev'ing the throttle a few times while at normal temps.

That will get air out and may require additional coolant.

Check your fluid level in the radiator and overflow tanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red
COOLLING STUMPED!!

Removed TW again. T-Stat was correctly installed with vent facing up. Did the hot water test and it passed, see pics ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349487770.202078.jpg open in boiling water and ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349487793.959734.jpg closed in ambient temp. Will reinstall, flush radiator and try again. If this fails all bets will be on the ECT unless anyone has any ideas.

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

Now really stumped!! Re-installed the thermostat after confirming it's working. Did everything by the book. Still getting irregular temp bars from none to three and sometimes two bars. I thought ECT could be the problem but F1 code should be blinking if ECT is faulty (page 5-12 in manual).
So now I'm really stumped. Taking it to the shop will be just as frustrating to the techs- and expensive. Thinking I should call Honda and get their take. Wonder if anyone has had this experience before- everything points to the T-Stat but it's working perfectly.:banghead:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

Reading through this ... I suspect that the engine coolant temperature sensor, installed in the rear of the thermostat housing, is flaky or has intermittent connection. I don't have the manual handy to be sure, but I bet the manual tells you how to check it.

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

Reading through this ... I suspect that the engine coolant temperature sensor, installed in the rear of the thermostat housing, is flaky or has intermittent connection. I don't have the manual handy to be sure, but I bet the manual tells you how to check it.
The manual has it on page 22-15 but also says that if the ECT is faulty, the F1 should flash 7 times (page 5-12). Planning to replace the ECT anyways. Would hate to fix s'thing that's not broken but have run out of options now.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

The ECU does not always catch all the faults....I wouldn't count on the FI light flashing. :shrug1:

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

It's worth a try so will keep the TW off till I get the part later this week. Really learning the insides of this machine.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

The service manual, on pages 22-15 & 16 has the test procedure for the ECT. Have you tried that? I'd tend to agree that the problem is that sensor or the wiring to it. Good luck.

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

The service manual, on pages 22-15 & 16 has the test procedure for the ECT. Have you tried that? I'd tend to agree that the problem is that sensor or the wiring to it. Good luck.
Tried it..got as far as removing the air cleaning unit and realized going any further was beyond my limited skill set. Have a strong hunch its the ECT or wiring so will have a good talk with my local Honda dealer this week.

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red
COOLLING STUMPED!!

So it turns out the ECT was the culprit. Took the bike to the shop and the tech quickly took it apart and tested the ECT per manual. Replaced it and all seems fine now. Here's the old part ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350255813.837666.jpg

So my new theory.. A bad t-stay may not leave you by the roadside but several thousand miles later and the ECT may go as well. I took off all TW before taking it to shop, saved a couple hours on labor.

Top Bottom