Cooling Stumped

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Re: COOLLING STUMPED!!

I've never seen a bad one before as well. Keep an eye on things.

v8-7

Site Supporter

If you had gone one step further , you would have fixed it yourself...

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

So here is the latest and hopefully the final.

Replaced the OEM and problem was gone for 50 miles..then it showed up again, gauge all over the place. I took the bike to Scott Powersports, a bigger shop than the first one. They tested every single thing, multimeter, ECT sensor,T-stat, even did an engine temperature test and everything was fine. The cylinder sync was way off with cylinders firing at different times, so they fixed that while they were in there. Cleaned the throttle body too, checked all connections etc.
Next, they called Honda- who said- wait for it- that's normal. "Customers have called about this before. At highway speeds especially in low temps, the temp gauge does go down to one or two bars". So the shop can not do anything more and they say the bike runs peachy. I'm okay with that and that little gauge gremil will be riding cozy in there. Should take a hard turn at the dragon tail and shake him of. Thanks for all your help and if anyone has a similar problem- here's a thread for them to read up. :hat4:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

I will have to respectfully dissagree with Honda on this one.
It is not normal. Every ST1300 that I've seen, has a solid 3 bars when it is running "Normally".
Sounds like honda didn't have a clue and simply gave up.
Wouldn't be the first time.
Keep an eye on things and let us know what happens.
Your friends on the forum will keep searching for solutions for you.
Igofar

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

Thanks Larry. I had read that Honda said the same thing about a similar issue. I'll keep a close eye on that orange screen. Now the question is- how in the world will I know when my thermostat gives up. I guess when my mpg drops from a fairly constant 38 to low 20s right? Might choose to change in every two years- I know you do yours annually.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Thanks Larry. I had read that Honda said the same thing about a similar issue. I'll keep a close eye on that orange screen. Now the question is- how in the world will I know when my thermostat gives up. I guess when my mpg drops from a fairly constant 38 to low 20s right? Might choose to change in every two years- I know you do yours annually.
I simply change mine, and everyone else's everytime I change the coolant. Cheap peace of mind.
Just for giggles, have you tried removing ALL of the accessory fuses and replacing them? Maybe one is bad, or going bad, and flickering like a neon light bulb?
Just a thought.
Keep us posted.
Larry

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Yeah... the service manual doesn't tell you what an indication of a failed t-stat is - unless it's out of the bike and you test it - only that the readings on the gauge are 'within normal operating temps' something like that which makes it impossible for a shop to say you have a bad t-stat.

Some here have told shops they will pay for the work to replace a t-stat under the agreement if it tests bad then it's a warranty issue. I had to do that with my '03 but it was stuck open completely, some will un-stick.

If you are in cool weather - say, 40's to 50's and the gauge is below 3 bars once you start moving, it's stuck... simple as that. Yes, your gas mileage will begin to suffer as well.

also, did you change the t-stat or did a shop do it? Did you/they flush the system and clean the overflow bottle? If there's stuff floating around in there, it will just contribute to another failed one.

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

also, did you change the t-stat or did a shop do it? Did you/they flush the system and clean the overflow bottle? If there's stuff floating around in there, it will just contribute to another failed one.
I think I'll just change the t-stat every couple years for peace of mind. And yes I did the t-stat myself, twice coz I took it out to bench test it- it passed. Flushed the radiator and overflow too.

have you tried removing ALL of the accessory fuses and replacing them? Maybe one is bad, or going bad, and flickering like a neon light bulb?
Now wouldn't that be something. All this trouble and expense for a couple bucks worth of fuses. still- will give it a shot. A falling apple led to space exploration right..:)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

I think I'll just change the t-stat every couple years for peace of mind. And yes I did the t-stat myself, twice coz I took it out to bench test it- it passed. Flushed the radiator and overflow too.

Now wouldn't that be something. All this trouble and expense for a couple bucks worth of fuses. still- will give it a shot. A falling apple led to space exploration right..:)
So you watch big bang theory too huh :rofl1:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

it wouldn't be the first time a new stat was defective or fail shotly after install.... cheap easy fix if it was me, I'd put in another new one and flush

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

Just for giggles, have you tried removing ALL of the accessory fuses and replacing them? Maybe one is bad, or going bad, and flickering like a neon light bulb?
Larry
Now wouldn't that be something. All this trouble and expense for a couple bucks worth of fuses. still- will give it a shot.
Don't waste your money or your time. Fuses cannot magically regenerate themselves once they have blown and they would never flicker like a neon bulb. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red

cheap easy fix if it was me, I'd put in another new one and flush
I hear you Tom but if you read the thread you'll see that the new t-stat was removed, bench tested, passed and reinstalled. Doing the same thing with another new one and expecting different results would be..let me see...what's that definition of madness?:rolleyes:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Don't waste your money or your time. Fuses cannot magically regenerate themselves once they have blown and they would never flicker like a neon bulb. Back to our regularly scheduled program...
I was not suggesting that the fuses magically regenerated themselves, I was suggesting that maybe he had a bad fuse that they missed. I've had fuses that were blown, that the element was cracked and depending on vibration or bumps, would cause things to go on and off. These are easily found by gently flicking them with your finger, while watching to see if the element shakes (similar to a light bulb in your house).
Now as you said...back to our regularly scheduled program.
By the way, I love your scooter avator. Two stroke?

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red
Igofar et al, ready for this! Got the bike back today and I'm in the last half of a 200 mile test ride. Get this - 3 bars the whole time, not even a flicker. The work order states everything tested was perfect except "throttle body synch was far off". So fixing the synch and cleaning the throttle body was it!?
I'll leave it to the more tech savy to draw a connection btw un-synched cylinders and wacky temp readings. Very glad the whole bike is now- can't resist- insynch ;)

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Igofar et al, ready for this! Got the bike back today and I'm in the last half of a 200 mile test ride. Get this - 3 bars the whole time, not even a flicker. The work order states everything tested was perfect except "throttle body synch was far off". So fixing the synch and cleaning the throttle body was it!?
I'll leave it to the more tech savy to draw a connection btw un-synched cylinders and wacky temp readings. Very glad the whole bike is now- can't resist- insynch ;)
Well I'm glad that the symptoms have hibernated for the moment however there is no correlation between throttle body synchronization and engine coolant temperatures. TBS will only affect the idle performance of your motor...

OP
OP
bjalphasud
Bike
05 ST-Candy Red
Well I'm glad that the symptoms have hibernated for the moment however there is no correlation between throttle body synchronization and engine coolant temperatures. TBS will only affect the idle performance of your motor...
Scooter..you do bring all the balloons and pomp to the party don't you.:8): Not sure what else they did but if they hibernate like forever..I'm cool with that. Or at least until the next owner..hehehe

Last edited:
Top Bottom