Cooling Vests? Anyone Use One?

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I ride with full gear, and even a mesh jacket can get hot in this kind of weather we're having.
Does anyone use a Cooling Vest? Is it the Kind thatwicks away moisture (evaporative)? Or is it the kind you soak in ice water and it stays a cool 58-59 degrees (like Thermakewl)?
I am considering something, so far my underarmour heat wear long sleeve shirt works pretty well, but I am considering a little more cooling.

safedoctor

Flip
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I use on the you just soak in water and put it on. It works pretty good. I carry it with me all the time.

Bike
BMW R1200RT
I recently purchased a phase change cooling vest from glaciertek.com. I've only used it a few times on my work commute, but it seems to work pretty well so far. I wear it under my Tecknic textile jacket and it kept me noticeably cooler. On a recent ride, I was thinking to myself that the temperatures were in the high 70's, but when I glanced at my temperature gauge, it read 94F, and later that ride, the temps climbed to 98F. I have noticed that my arms get quite a bit warmer than my torso, so I guess that means it's working! It's a bit pricy and kind of bulky, but I can wear it over my work clothes and they won't get soaked like they would with an evaporative vest.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I work around many dangerous chemicals in the heat of South Florida in a plastic hazmat suit I use a vest that gets ice packs front and back that helps some in the suit but works great without the suit.
on a normal day of work without the vest I am wet from head to toes but with the vest I am nice and cool I still sweat but the whole experience is much better with these vest they seem to last almost 8 hours. the ones we have at work are similar to this http://www.labsafety.com/search/cooling+vest/24533501/

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?93007-Moldy-Cooling-Vest
Luckely they are inexpencive, because I had one mold on me.

They work GREAT in the hot and dry days, but just OK in humid days. Make sure its bone dry when you go to store it, or it'll get moldy in a warm dark place.

When prepping it for a long day place it in the sink with water and be prepared to come back to refill the sink, they shure can slurp up a lot of H2O.

The basic ones are so cheap, its worth the money just to try it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I recently purchased a phase change cooling vest from glaciertek.com. I've only used it a few times on my work commute, but it seems to work pretty well so far. I wear it under my Tecknic textile jacket and it kept me noticeably cooler. On a recent ride, I was thinking to myself that the temperatures were in the high 70's, but when I glanced at my temperature gauge, it read 94F, and later that ride, the temps climbed to 98F. I have noticed that my arms get quite a bit warmer than my torso, so I guess that means it's working! It's a bit pricy and kind of bulky, but I can wear it over my work clothes and they won't get soaked like they would with an evaporative vest.
+1 - I bought one a while back but then started working from home and didn't need it so sold it. I think they are the best solution to keeping cool in any level of humidity. The major negatives are price and bulk but it's not a cheap fix, it's a great fix.

Here's my review:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?54774

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
For the humid and hot days above 90....What works great for me is the A/C in my car.....yes, I will admit it on those days I melt and need to take the four wheels with a/c. :drive1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
For the humid and hot days above 90....What works great for me is the A/C in my car.....yes, I will admit it on those days I melt and need to take the four wheels with a/c. :drive1:
:flame:couch1:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
We like the miracool ponchos.
They are inexpensive and they keep us cool all day on a single charge.
The other thread pointed to tells how to clean them if they get a bit moldy and as Karen noted we refill them with the same 'filler' bought from a craft store every 1 to 2 years.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been thinking I should get one of these. It's been right at 99*F all week so far and dew point in the upper 70s. With that the heat index is around 115*F. With such a high dew point I am sure the evaporative vests won't work as well as in dryer air but from what I can tell with my TM Flex in mesh mode it should help a little. Actually it hasn't been too bad riding home. My work clothes get wet from sweat as I walk out to my bike and then evaporation kicks in as I am moving and I actually cool off a bit. Only lasts the trip home (about 18 minutes). I would want the vest for longer trips in this heat.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I have just recently bought the Fieldsheer, used it two or three times. It replaced a dead MiraCool. So far I really like it. I don't think it's 'all day strong' like the MiraCool (when it was new) but it fits WAY better and is easier to handle...

I also just bought a 'space bag' to carry it in. You know, you see it on TV, they put 17 sweaters in a bag, vacuum out the air, and it's no thicker than a handkerchief? Anyway, it's working really well for a 'soak and store' bag, too. Really limits the amount of water that you have to carry around....

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I got the Techniche evaporative cooling vest when I went to CheapSTOC after enjoying 100+ degree days in full gear. I was able to do an undocumented saddle sore on the way back to Denver in that heat with full gear. I just rewet it at each gas stop. Love that vest!
And these are on sale at Bike Bandit for $24.99. I'm going to get one!

Top Bottom