Cooling Vests? Anyone Use One?

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I got an evaporative vest from Cycle Gear. It cost $30 and works well. Not perfect, but well. When dry it folds up about the size of a t-shirt. I keep it in the trunk when not in use.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
the evaporative vests will for a couple/few hours before needing a recharge.
'hours' don't work here in the AZ desert for Chris and me. We found we were overheating by the time we stopped for gas... probably would have worked on a bike with a smaller tank; but, not on an ST.
Miracool ponchos for us and now that we know to replace the water holding 'stuff' inside every riding season we're 'cool' with them only lasting a year...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
'hours' don't work here in the AZ desert for Chris and me. We found we were overheating by the time we stopped for gas... probably would have worked on a bike with a smaller tank; but, not on an ST.
Miracool ponchos for us and now that we know to replace the water holding 'stuff' inside every riding season we're 'cool' with them only lasting a year...
That's why I said couple/few hrs... I actually lost the 'cooling' sensation after about an hour on the ones I have tried in the past.. then, it just felt like a slimy warm rag, but I knew it was better than no slimy warm rag.. LOL

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I'm going to have to invite you all out here for a ride in late June next year...
We can have a cool-vest 'ride off'... :D

Bike
'95 ST1100
STOC #
I went to the Carlisle Bike Show this past Saturday. Real temperature about 105 and felt near 115. That's way too hot for me.:hotpepper

After reading through this thread I decided to try the pc vest. I went with the glaciertec. I'm really happy I did :D This vest kept my temps under control. I was still hot but I was able to ride ATGATT, there and back.

Now if some one can figure out how to do the same thing with the full face helmet :D

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I have had one for about 3 weeks. I have worn it two times during the most extream heat, it worked great under a mesh jacket. Side note..I stoped at a truck stop in KY. for gas and bathroom break. I parked next to some Harley riders. I took off my mesh jacket and left it on the bike handle bars so I was walking around with the cooling vest in about 93 degree weather. When I came out they noticed my vest and said " Hey man, dont't you think it is a little warm to wear a vest.... I told them it was a cooling vest and it was like having A/C on while you ride. I think it went right over their heads

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Received my ThermaKewl ($24.95 Cal Sport Touring) and tried it on the 86 degree day Friday. Worked great! I stayed cool for my entire 2 hour mosey around then watched my great nephews ball game (1 1/2 hr) game. I refreshed it, then went out for another half hour. It really helps keep your core down, and I was comfortable, not clammy, the entire time. I did find that my Underarmour heat shirt wicked the water down to my pants, so I got wet around the waist, but I'll take that over sweating in the sun. I would imagine if you take care of it the crystals in the vest should last for at least 2-3 years.

Next review is the kidney belt I just got! I cut my thumb on a broken glass, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Top Bottom