COVID-19 Symptoms Explained, day by day

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Just an update, since I forgot earlier, since it turned out to not be a big deal for us
Glad that it was a mild case and it didn’t spread to the rest of the family. Unfortunately there are 190,000 stories that didn’t workout that way.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The mask is such a pain in the ass, that I have to mess with it all the time anyway. Leave it on, take it off, doesn't matter. I wear glasses. Its a constant struggle to keep the glasses from fogging up and so I'm messing with the mask. Taking it on and off as needed is less messing with it than simply wearing it.
I do agree with you that the mask is a PITA if one wears glasses.

What I do is keep a small pocket-size bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket & in the door pocket of my car. I take the mask off (drop it around my neck) if I am in the car, or outdoors, but before I do that, I sanitize my hands. Similarly, I sanitize my hands before I put the mask back on.

That seems to me to be the right balance between protection (wearing the mask) and going nuts (foggy glasses).

Michael

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Actually the remote small communities in Canada have the greatest fear for the virus, I guess they live such intertwined lives that if one has the virus most have the virus.
That has historically been the case in non-agrarian small villages - which is why the plague epidemic wiped out so many people in Europe in the middle ages, and why the aboriginal villages in Canada were hit so hard with smallpox, etc. when Europeans migrated to North America. In agrarian communities, folks are spread out and self-sufficient and don't necessarily meet on a daily basis. In contemporary native villages in Canada, everyone is packed it quite tightly into a small area, this to facilitate the provision of electricity, water, etc. to the homes.

There are other social differences as well - for example, HIV infections have hit small native villages a lot harder than large urban conglomerations.

Michael

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

What I do is keep a small pocket-size bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket & in the door pocket of my car. I take the mask off (drop it around my neck) if I am in the car, or outdoors, but before I do that, I sanitize my hands. Similarly, I sanitize my hands before I put the mask back on.

That seems to me to be the right balance between protection (wearing the mask) and going nuts (foggy glasses).

Michael
Exactly. Where I work we have wall mounted sanitizer dispensers at every main doorway, on every floor of every building. Then there are random bottles of sanitizer located, well, almost anywhere. Including every vehicle. I have at least one bottle in each personal car. Easy to keep up. I hook and unhook the mask from my right ear, leave it dangling from my left. Unless it goes in my pocket, but then it's sanitizer time. Am I perfect with the protocol? No, but I do what I can.
RT

Here's the trick. Put the mask on and ensure it covers the upper bridge of the nose. Now, place the pads of the glasses so they rest "on top" (or "over" if you will) of the mask material. Prob solved.

The issue is most spectacle-wearing folks have their spectacles in place, then fit the mask, where the upper part of the mask is just below the glasses, and thus the heated air is directed straight onto the back side of the lenses.

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I wear a mask the whole time I am at work, basically two 4 hour stretches. Only time I have an issue is after exiting the walk in fridge my glasses will fog for a few minutes. Getting use to the mask took a day or two. I think it is like most things if start with a good attitude it works.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
With all due respect gentlemen, I know well how to use a mask. I've been using PPE in one form or another for 30+yrs daily. Putting the glasses on top does help. But I, and everyone else here are often in environments with 100% humidity, 85+degrees, and also physically exerting ourselves. Glasses have trouble not fogging without a mask. The mask just exacerbates the situation. If I was sitting in my office all day, sure, no problem. Go up and down 4-5 flights of stairs in a pump well, carrying items, repeatedly, and it quickly becomes an issue. We deal with it as best we can.

RT

STOC #
I like the ones that are in a car all by themselves with a mask on. Who are they protecting? Themselves?
Well I can't speak for them but.....when we pick up my inlaws for transportation, we wear masks upon getting into the car and all the miles in between. We only take them off once they are delivered to a destination. So yeah, some people might be wearing them proactive to someone else getting into the car.

Last edited:
STOC #
All this fear is so disgusting.
What you call "fear", we call precaution. I already had two friends and one family infected and it wasn't fun on bit for them. Why would we take a chance of infecting my 75 year old in laws with something that is lethal at their age? The mask is a no brainer here.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
OK, time for an update:

i’ve had this for about a week now, maybe a little bit more, and at this time, I am fever free and the chills are completely gone. The only residual thing I have is a little bit of shortness of breath related to my asthma. I have a suspicion that that’s going to take a little time to fully regress as I’ve had it plenty of times in the past and it typically does take time to go back to baseline. I’m grateful that I never wound up in the hospital or on oxygen (or a ventilator for that matter). I have isolated myself from my wife and happily she has not become ill with the Covid. I agree that it is a disease process that should be taken seriously especially if you’re in a risk group. It’s not possible to predict who’s going to have a very benign course versus a more serious one. Everyone stay well and stay safe. As much as I hate the masks I know they’re a necessary evil. I definitely feel this is going take a few more weeks before my lungs feel normal again, but again, I’m extremely grateful that it turned out as well as it did.

Bob

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The only residual thing I have is a little bit of shortness of breath related to my asthma.
Thanks for the update.
Glad to hear you've weathered the worst of it.
I too have asthma and have been concerned about it as it's listed as one of the comorbidities that make us more susceptible.

I have read a couple of reports that the reported 'lung damage' heals quickly which the medical 'experts' had not expected.

Here is to your continued healing.
Mark

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
What age bracket are you?
Do you know how you contracted the virus?
Thanks for all the well wishes.
I'm 56 years old, no idea how I got COVID. I’ve followed all the protocols at work and when out and about, wearing masks except when home. I feel really terrible for people who have more poor outcomes or protracted illness as well as those who have died as a result. It shouldn’t be this way.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
What you call "fear", we call precaution. I already had two friends and one family infected and it wasn't fun on bit for them. Why would we take a chance of infecting my 75 year old in laws with something that is lethal at their age? The mask is a no brainer here. Seriously, you need to buy yourself some empathy for others.
Wearing a mask with others in the vehicle, especially if you are not in regular contact with them, or if they are at risk, makes sense. Driving around alone with a mask on, or kayaking hundreds of yards alone away from others, or riding a bike alone on a deserted country lane, is what I was commenting on. Those examples, and many more, make little sense in any context. RT

Top Bottom