2014 ST1300

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've never found my CPAP to be difficult to operate or inconvenient. I've used them at least 17 or 18 years.

The current supply chain issues are from a recall from a major supplier causing a shortage. However, most of that has been cleared up and deliveries are returning to normal. Phillips Resperonics is still way behind trying to replace their affected units. Resmed has inventory.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
This new apnea device looks interesting to me. Has anyone tried it or heard of anyone who has?

Pops up red flags for me at first glance.

As there's no clear and outright description of how it works on the page that I can see.
The first 2 of 3 option boxes are "assessment and eligibility" and "insurance approval"
The 3rd says after the implant procedure you head back the doctor to turn it on and some fine tuning.

The devil may be in the details with the statement it's "the only FDA approved obstructive sleep apnea treatment that works INSIDE your body.."

I'm sure though there are folks it's ideal for. I won't be one of them looking at it though :)

As near as I can figure out, it works by stimulating the muscle that moves the tongue. Pushes tongue forward (?) so airway remains open.
The physics behind sleep apnea simply doesn´t work in that way. I call bull!
Try to totally relax your neck muscles so that your airway collapses and move your tongue. You can move it anyway you want and still you can´t breathe.

I use both - fan and CPAP. :biggrin:
My problem is when I go to sleep my breathing is so shallow that I don't take in any air (two sleep studies in a lab).
So my CPAP is set to a very high pressure.
I'm definitely a big fan of CPAP. My pre test showed 80 interruptions per hour and with CPAP they are down to less than 1. I also use relatively high pressure. Another help is sleeping with my head elevated. I'm a back sleeper and use a 12" wedge (Amazon).

Previously I would wake up feeling tired and now I almost always get 7-8 hours of rest and feel great when I wake up.
The equipment seems cumbersome to deal with but it's definitely worth it.

I have also used a battery powered system for camping that works well.

Bike
2009 ST1300
That's a great write up and couldn't agree with you more; I remember years ago being introduced to carbon dioxide sensors; how they can integrate into HVAC systems and primarily save energy through minimizing expensive ventilation [be it heating or cooling] through, if you will "occupancy sensing" [more people more C02] and consequently improve [maximize] oxygen, I often blow [exhale] through my combustion analyzer to achieve the same low end of oxygen [less than 15%] as a quick reference before use.
We never had those when I got started; we relied on economisers and minimum positioners for blank percent ventilation; sometimes things do get better.

Top Bottom