Crash at OnSTOC! :(

OP
OP
Peppermint
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
??? Normal... as in not hurting any more.
Lol! He's just teasing us, Mick!

I'm feeling much better, folks. I was on my feet a little too long today, so I'm a little sore, but nothing major...the pain meds have kicked in nicely and the burn is healing well. So I'm on the mend; I'll be back at work on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here).

Patty

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I had to read that twice - thought it said "the bum is healing well"... :butt1:

Glad to hear my favourite pepperminty person is on the mend!

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
I just got off the road last night and herd. Yes there is mold release wax on the tires as well as label glue.

soigner rapidement

Feeling your pain

Bruce

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Patty, is it time for an update?

How are you feeling?

Lots of people worried about you.
Me too, how are you doing and are you going to make ctstoc? Yes we are all or most of us are thinking of you
Lyle
Here is what she had to say this morning

Re: Thursday Coffee/Weather

Good morning all and thanks, Peter, I needed that!

After a few shivery days of cold rain, we're back to warm and muggy here. Still overcast, with temps of 18 to 26?C/64 to 79?F; should be pretty comfortable, but 83% humidity this morning makes it a little sticky.

I'm going to see James Taylor in concert here tonight. I'm looking forward to it - he's such a wonderful musician and songwriter. I'm a little concerned about my comfort level, but I should be OK; my back's always better in a sitting position and the seats at the concert hall are pretty comfy. Should be a good show!

Everybody have a great day and if you're going, please go safely.

Patty

OP
OP
Peppermint
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Hey, everybody!

I'm doing OK! My shoulder blade's still pretty sore, but getting much better...and the burn is healing, although that will take a while too and I'll have some nice battle scars to show for it! The insurance adjuster didn't total the bike. It's being repaired at catcher's bike shop in Ontario. The repairs will cost about $4800 (all cosmetic) and it's all covered except for the deductible, of course. Some of the parts are on back order, so it'll be mid-July or so before it's ready; that's OK, it'll be mid-July or so before I'M ready! I'll then make my way back to George's to pick it up and ride it home...or folks may conspire to get it to a half-way point so that I'll have about a 4 hr ride home, rather than 8 or 9. Either way, I will get back on the horse that threw me!

I still plan on being at CT-STOC and hopefully, NNESTOC. Right now, I'm just concentrating on recovering. Oh, and by the way, the James Taylor concert was AWESOME!

Thanks (almost) everybody, for your kind words and support!

Ride safe!

Patty

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Hey Patty
If its in July I think I could ride along with you from Bracebridge to Montreal, -- only if you'd like that idea, of course. And I might be able to scare up another rider or 2 just for fun.
No rush. No pressure and feel free to tell me no thanks. I'd get that.
Let me know whenever.

OP
OP
Peppermint
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Hey Patty
If its in July I think I could ride along with you from Bracebridge to Montreal, -- only if you'd like that idea, of course. And I might be able to scare up another rider or 2 just for fun.
No rush. No pressure and feel free to tell me no thanks. I'd get that.
Let me know whenever.
That would be fantastic, Jeff!! The ride would certainly be nicer accompanied than not! I'll let you know when the bike's ready and we can talk about that possibility!
Thanks so much for the offer - it's much appreciated! :)

Patty

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Something will certainly be worked out when the time comes; after all, we're your support group!
My informant tells me you're back to work Tuesday. Sounds both good and bad, lol.

OP
OP
Peppermint
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Something will certainly be worked out when the time comes; after all, we're your support group!
My informant tells me you're back to work Tuesday. Sounds both good and bad, lol.
Hey ya, George! Yes, I went back to work this past Tuesday as Monday was a holiday here. The week went fine, but I'm glad of yet another long weekend coming up! :) As for support groups, I couldn't ask for a better one than this family of friends!

Patty

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Glad to hear things are coming along for you Patty and that the bike is going to be fixed up. Kudos to you for getting back on that horse :) and if you are in my area let me know and we could also meet up.

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Patty:

Glad to hear you're healing well. Sorry for your mishap. I'd like to share an experience and suggest a hypothesis:

Several months ago I was riding my Honda 919 around a local lake. It was a very warm day, pavement was hot and I was riding in what I believed to be a reasonable fashion. I entered a left-hand turn - not a corner, but a fairly tight turn. I wasn't going particularly fast, perhaps 25-30mph, which I didn't believe was too hot for this particular curve. Nonetheless, midway through the curve I felt I was going a bit fast and applied some brake. Immediately, my rear tire starting skidding, washing out. I instantly applied more brake - both front and back - trying to get the bike shut down, as I was drifting quickly toward the shoulder. The bike would not regain traction and I made a split-second decision to straighten up and leave the pavement in an upright condition. There were tall weeds beyond the curve and I didn't think it would be too bad. Unfortunately, just beyond the weeds was a washed out ditch. The bike dropped into the ditch and I went over the bars. I had nothing but a few scrapes and bumps, the bike a few as well.

I gathered myself, got the bike out of the ditch and walked back to try to surmise what had caused my loss of traction. Sand? Gravel? Oil? No, nothing there to suggest the cause. I rode the bike home and this issue haunted me for months. It was the first time I'd dropped a bike since the late '70's.

A couple of months ago I ran across a video from a motorcycle racer that talked about losing control on curves just like this. He illustrated a phenomenon that I believe explains my debacle, and perhaps yours too. When I perceived too much speed in the curve I hit the brakes - not hard, but hard enough to compress the front suspension. When this happens, the weight shifting forward essentially unweights the rear wheel. This can cause the tire to loose traction (which it did). I had to decide whether to deal with an impending low-side or straighten up and go off the road upright (as stated, I decided on the latter). Logically, my brain was telling me to wash off as much speed as I could by applying more brake. In fact, this was exactly the opposite of what I should have been doing. Continued braking only aggravated the stituation, unweighting the rear wheel even more and exaggerating the skid. What was the solution? In what seems very unintuitive, I should have gotten off the brakes and rolled on the throttle. Doing so would have shifted momentum back to the rear wheel which likely would have regained traction. Then it would have been a matter of trusting the bike and lean far over and make the turn.

In effect, I had violated one of the basic precepts of riding, braking BEFORE the turn rather than in the turn. And although I didn't think I was going fast enough for it to be an issue, it obviously was, as there was enough pronounced unweighting of the rear wheel when the forks compressed to cause loss of traction. I compounded the problem by braking harder. And the final insult was in not trusting the bike's ability to lean hard into the turn and track me out of trouble.

This realization was a real blow to my ego, as I perceived myself to be a capable rider, perhaps more so than most after 40 years of riding. But, I learned that I am never too old to learn more. Perhaps this has no validity where your particular get-off was concerned. But, I am convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that my crash was self-inflicted. Now, the best I can do is, 1) be grateful that I wasn't injured to any large degree, 2) learn from the experience, 3) hope I never have to deal with it again, and 4) hope nonetheless that if I do, I'll be better equipped mentally to deal with the situation.

I hope my testimony and assertions help you in some way. But, most importantly, I hope you heal completely and quickly.

Ride safe.

Steve

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
and if you are in my area let me know and we could also meet up.
It's entirely possible you could be asked to help when it's time to get the horse back in the stable. Just a scheme at this point, but I'm hoping Patty will take the train to Oshawa where I'll meet her. She and I would go to the shop where the bike is; she'd ride it to my house, stay over. Next morning she'd get on the road for the Ottawa area, accompanied by myself, possibly Jeff, and whoever else wanted to be part of the homecoming ride. Of course we'd stop at Wilno for lunch! And if someone would offer a place to sleep overnight, then the following day it would be reasonable to reach home in Montreal. Naturally there'd be another crew to provide company on the last leg.
But all this is a month away; we'll see what develops. Patty may have an entirely different concept in mind!

OP
OP
Peppermint
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Steve, thank you - that's a great post and an invaluable reminder to all of us. As Karen says, however, applying it and overriding that gut reaction takes practice and experience and I'm under no illusions...I've only been riding 4 years. I'm still relatively new at this.

Laying on the brakes in a tight off-camber left-hander was the major mistake I made when I went down on the Vulcan two years ago, when I was a REALLY new rider. So what I can tell you about this crash is that having learned from past experience, I didn't touch the brakes; and that was corroborated by Keith, who was riding behind me and saw the whole thing. In talking about it afterwards, Keith told me that using my back brake would have helped in that situation and I believe he's right...again, though, I'm still short on that experienced instinct, so I didn't touch any brakes at all...I just tried to lean into the corner and get around it. That's where the release agent on the edge of the new tire MAY have contributed, as the lean may have put me square on that portion of the new rubber...but from what Keith says (and again, I think he's correct), I simply leaned over too far and lost traction on both tires, at which point I low sided then hit the shoulder and high-sided. One thing is for certain...I will definitely be investing in an advanced rider course to improve my skills and get my confidence back when cornering. It's never a bad idea to get further training, even for experienced folks; it can only make you a better rider.
Hopefully, this is not an experience I will repeat. The scars that will remain on my arm from the exhaust pipe burn will serve as a permanent reminder to me and I see that as a positive thing.

Again, thank you for posting that. Awesome! :)

Patty

OP
OP
Peppermint
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
It's entirely possible you could be asked to help when it's time to get the horse back in the stable. Just a scheme at this point, but I'm hoping Patty will take the train to Oshawa where I'll meet her. She and I would go to the shop where the bike is; she'd ride it to my house, stay over. Next morning she'd get on the road for the Ottawa area, accompanied by myself, possibly Jeff, and whoever else wanted to be part of the homecoming ride. Of course we'd stop at Wilno for lunch! And if someone would offer a place to sleep overnight, then the following day it would be reasonable to reach home in Montreal. Naturally there'd be another crew to provide company on the last leg.
But all this is a month away; we'll see what develops. Patty may have an entirely different concept in mind!
George, that certainly sounds like the plan that's shaping up and it sounds good to me. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I can't thank everybody enough. You guys rock. And there's nothing I'd like better than to visit with you and Patti again and ride back home with my buddies.
We'll firm up the plans a little further on, when Scarlett (and I) are about ready to roll. I'm looking forward to getting back on the horse. :)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Patty:
If you are interested in another option I have a truck and would have no objection to going with you to pick up your bike and truck it back to Lachine if the logistics worked out.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Patty,

Sad to hear about the get off but glad it has worked out the way it has. Heal fast, go ride!

While you are over this way in August, if you need a little Italian Riviera relaxation, Ally and I have an extra room. Come take my ST out for a spin.

JD

Top Bottom