Cruise Control and Right Hand

Bike
2007 ST1300
This might seem a silly question but I have an Audiovox CC on my ST1300 and though I do really like having it, I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with my right hand.
I've had throttle lock type devices on past motorcycles and I would just rest my hand on the right grip without having to actually maintain a squeeze on it. With the Audiovox CC, the throttle moves around to keep the speed constant so I can't just rest my hand on the grip without causing small issues with its operation. By issues I mean if it wants to slow down my hand will sometimes delay the throttle movement and so the CC adjusts down farther. By the time I let up on the grip the CC has adjusted well below the setting and then surges a few times to get it right again. This will sometimes happen when the CC wants more throttle (going uphill) but not as often.
So I'm wondering what a common thing to do with your right hand might be.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow, I never even thought of that.
(Then again, I've never had a cc on an mc.)
For those of you Rostra wizards, does this one do it as well?
As the throttle cables are mechanically attached, I would presume it does.
Is this where I'm supposed to smack my forehead?

Bike
ST1100 02 Blue
@JackinFl

"So I'm wondering what a common thing to do with your right hand might be " LOL ,I am tempted to state the obvious but I'll pass.

My only advice is DO NOT put your hand in your pocket !!

Take care
Laurie

Bike
ST1100
when I ride long distances, I usually rest my left hand on the knee or on the "gas tank" cover. I'd be happy to do the same with my right hand when I install my CC next year.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
This will probably be an interesting sidenote on cruise control on motorcycles. The last time I experienced the use of one was when I rented the BMW in Colorado back in September. I guess it’s because of lack of experience with them however, I found it a little disconcerting and I accidentally activated it (I felt like the bike was taking off on me). After that, I did not use it at all. I normally just use a go cruise throttle lock and a cramp buster. I’m sure other opinions may differ.

OP
OP
JackinFL
Bike
2007 ST1300
I normally just use a go cruise throttle lock and a cramp buster. I’m sure other opinions may differ.
My last motorcycle was a VStrom 650 and I had a throttle lock on there. I also used a cramp buster on both sides so that I could occasionally just rest my hands on the grips on long trips.

OP
OP
JackinFL
Bike
2007 ST1300
when I ride long distances, I usually rest my left hand on the knee or on the "gas tank" cover. I'd be happy to do the same with my right hand when I install my CC next year.
I tried that a few times and it felt really weird to not have my right hand on the grip.

I have been known to grab the bar weight instead of the throttle. I rest my hand on my knee. Stretch my arm. I also maintain a loose grip and not fight the adjustments of the cruise.
My riding position has me leaning forward enough to put pressure on the grips and so it's not easy to just let my hand hover there without putting pressure on it with my palm.
I'll give the bar end weight a try and see how it feels.

Thanks for the ideas.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The MCCruise has a CIU (cable interface unit) that takes a lot of that 'movement' away.
You might move the Crampbuster on the bar weight for an easier place to rest your hand.
Probably need to glue it or attached it as it is designed to 'hug' the grip.
Or build you a custom 'rest' that is held in place by the bar weight screw.

OP
OP
JackinFL
Bike
2007 ST1300
You might move the Crampbuster on the bar weight for an easier place to rest your hand.
Probably need to glue it or attached it as it is designed to 'hug' the grip.
Or build you a custom 'rest' that is held in place by the bar weight screw.
That is a fantastic idea Uncle Phil! I'll certainly give that a try!

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I often rest my palms on the weights only allowing a push and have fun counters steering or no hands and foot steer, lots of misbehaving fun to be had with cruise control especially with SO pillion haha

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I say put your hand wherever it feels comfortable, just not in your pocket. ;)

I usually rest it on my leg, the tank, the grip (mostly) or the bar end.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
With the Audiovox CC, the throttle moves around to keep the speed constant
Once my speed is set, I really don’t feel that much movement on the grip…but yes sometimes I grip too tight and I end up going faster then what is set. For the most part when the cruise is set I relax and will just have my left hand on the bar..even on corners. (I have the Rostra cruise installed on the 1100)

Bike
2009 ST1300
Not sure what type I've got, in some instances it seems to slip back and in others it maintains position / speed / rpm, I think the best thing about it is it gives your hand a chance to let go for a bit, but like cruise control, I wouldn't get too comfortable, the next step is having a nap or going into the back and making breakfast.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
It seems totally fine to keep the right hand of the handlebar, you certainly won’t ever need a sudden stop (using brakes) once the speed is set.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
When I had my 1300, I left a little play in the cables. That would take up the slight up and down the Cruse is using to maintain the speed. Also, do not squeeze the grip hard like you would do when not using the CC. You can keep your had on the grip, but just resting on it. That way your wrist is loose and the grip can still have some movement with your hand on it. If you feel the grip starting to move more, then just loosen up your grip and let it move.

I will also put my hand on my leg to just have a different position.

I do all these things on my wing now. I will use my cruse 95% of the time each day when on long cross country trips. I do not have any problems with it staying engaged. I will go tank to tank with it engaged all that time.

Top Bottom