Cruise Control and Right Hand

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Recently completed my installation of a McCruise unit on my ST1300. During my road testing I was delighted to find keeping a LOOSE grip (basically just resting it on the throttle) didn't seem tto have much effect on keeping speed. Lots of hills on my test course so the CC was constantly adjusting. I'd be leery about keeping my hand too far from the brake in traffic, but out where there is lots of space between vehicles I could see resting it on the tank bag or my knee.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Recently completed my installation of a McCruise unit on my ST1300. During my road testing I was delighted to find keeping a LOOSE grip (basically just resting it on the throttle) didn't seem tto have much effect on keeping speed. Lots of hills on my test course so the CC was constantly adjusting. I'd be leery about keeping my hand too far from the brake in traffic, but out where there is lots of space between vehicles I could see resting it on the tank bag or my knee.
Echos my experience with the MC Cruise. It didn't seem helpful to the OP to suggest a different CC than what he already installed, but yeah, the MC Cruise seems to operate without much cross-talk with the throttle tube.

Like UP said, that CIU seems to be the magic item. I was very impressed when I looked at its design and how it interfaces with the existing hardware operationally.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I only have it because it was there, I only tested it after I'd gained some confidence in my ability to handle the bike to where it wouldn't surprise me, I mean I'm not cat walking it up my street or anything but I'm getting a little more comfortable. I really don't think these things are good; I'm satisfied that mine does just that - holds the throttle position; I really don't want a PID control loop compensating for load, altitude change, rate of ascension or so on, I think it's a maybe [and I mean a big maybe] useful thing to be able to give your hand a shake on the straight and narrow, that's all. I've locked mine in under a variety of circumstances and found that on level pavement with no variation in wind, it holds for a while and droops off; if there's an increase in grade or change in head wind, it droops pretty quick. So I like it.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Not sure what type I've got,
Take a picture of the control switch and if you can the actuator module, we can probably tell you what you have. From your description of it’s performance it feels like it might not be set up properly. We might be able to help you with getting it dialled in right.
there are basically three brands of cruise control. Audiovox which is vacuumed operated. Rostra which is electronically activated and the best being MCCruise. MCCruise had a vacuum operated unit for a number of years and now only has the Electronic version available.
MCCRuise has excellent customer support, and will help you even if you weren’t the original owner. Audiovox (which is no longer made) and Rostra won’t talk to you as they have liability issues and don’t recommend putting their units on motorcycles. Having said that, many here have installed them and have gotten them to work fine.
I have the Rostra…I did have some grief installing it and it took some time to get it working smoothly, but now I have it working slick and I engage it 90% of the time when riding.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Yeah for sure I will in the morning, I'll post it here.

I think it's a double edged sword these things; I know when I settled the problems I had with my vstar, it settled the bike and relieved all vibration in the handle bar, but before that I was really second guessing my age and agility. On the flip side of that, now it's too easy; I've dragged both boards on the yamaha and riden the ST over 165 k, not even the speed but running the V 4 in the 6,700 rpm range, haven't really messed around with that since my 396 days.
This is not big speed by any stretch but for me it's been a while, I could certainly feel the geometry of the dual castor slowing and coming to a stop [with no applied brakes, so you know you're going there]
I just don't really think cruise is good on a bike.

Bike
2003 ST1300
As someone with carpal tunnel syndrome, the CC is a wonderful thing.
After installing the electric windshield on the 1300, the Rostra CC was the next "must have" thing.
I am happy to rest my hand in my lap, or just hold it loosely on the throttle.
I also have a cramp buster for those times when CC isn't engaged.

I guess like @kiltman, it took some fiddling to get the Rostra to behave, but I wouldn't ride a bike long distance without CC.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have always ridden with two fingers of the right hand resting on top of the brake lever, the rest around the grip, so when I fitted the McCruise 4 year ago I had to find a new position for the RH. Like JackinFl, I struggled with the change for a long time and found it quite uncomfortable swapping position to position. I even tried resting the hand up near the master-cylinder (watch out for the kill switch!).

I finally found reasonable comfort in resting the, how shall I say ?, outside heel of my palm on the end weight with the majority of my hand floating on the grip and two fingers above the brake. I only use the CC on straight highway or motorway so this method doesn’t interfere with cornering and need for braking.

btw; the McCruise is a marvel and I wouldn’t be without it.

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have always ridden with two fingers of the right hand resting on top of the brake lever, the rest around the grip, so when I fitted the McCruise 4 year ago I had to find a new position for the RH. Like JackinFl, I struggled with the change for a long time and found it quite uncomfortable swapping position to position. I even tried resting the hand up near the master-cylinder (watch out for the kill switch!).

I finally found reasonable comfort in resting the, how shall I say ?, outside heal of my palm on the end weight with the majority of my hand floating on the grip and two fingers above the brake. I only use the CC on straight highway or motorway so this method doesn’t interfere with cornering and need for braking.

btw; the McCruise is a marvel and I wouldn’t be without it.
I haven't found that my hand position while CC is engaged to be a problem so far. But since its install I haven't ridden with the MC Cruise much more than stretches of 3 or 4 miles on rural 2-lanes just to exercise the system vs. needing the relief it delivers. I haven't taken a long trip on a interstate where the CC shines and the stiff throttle return spring is especially fatiguing for me. We'll see in the coming riding season.

But I do agree with @Duporth 'the McCruise is a marvel'

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
the stiff throttle return spring is especially fatiguing for me.
On an ST1300? Surely you jest!
You should try a few hours on a BMW K1100LT. They have two throttle return springs- each one strong enough to use on the centre stand I'm sure. The pull is so strong that it is actually painful to ride that bike for any length of time. There are many forum threads dedicated to reducing the force required to hold the throttle, including cutting one of the springs. I can't fathom what BMW was thinking when they released that set-up, thank goodness they included cruise control on that model.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
On an ST1300? Surely you jest!
You should try a few hours on a BMW K1100LT. They have two throttle return springs- each one strong enough to use on the centre stand I'm sure. The pull is so strong that it is actually painful to ride that bike for any length of time. There are many forum threads dedicated to reducing the force required to hold the throttle, including cutting one of the springs. I can't fathom what BMW was thinking when they released that set-up, thank goodness they included cruise control on that model.
LOL... I have ridden one, but a long time ago. It doesn't trigger any PTSD surrounding the throttle, but that's just consistent with the German way. Especially back in the 80s and 90s.

Maybe that's why my friends christened theirs with the moniker, 'Light Truck'? I thought it was a play on the LT.

Top Bottom