Cruise Control

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
On my Nighthawk, I used a Trailtech 8500-RS switch pod. I wired a micro-cube relay so the center button grounds the clutch wire. I can cancel the CC without lighting the brake light.

1609565026996.png

Also, I wired the "engaged" wire to the kickstand-down light through a resistor. The light is bright enough to see in the daylight, but dim enough to not be annoying at night.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
This thread popped up in What's new, with Friday's comment.
Went to the Spoiled Biker link mentioned early on (14 years back), and while the site shows Copyright 2021, the website is a wreck. Nothing found for McCruise. The Givi link takes you to Mustang saddles and Mustang accessories. All the blogs are dated too. Somebody hasn't maintained that website much at all.
Also, I've had great success with the good-looking ThrottleMeister in years gone by, but Marker Machine Co. sold their business to another company, who doesn't seem interested in selling or supporting the TM.
One of my next upgrades will be a cruise control, and I've read several threads here on the Rostra. Probably will go that route.
For a throttle lock, I've tried several, and the TM looks built-in for the ST. Wish I had one, but for $50 more I could get a Rostra?
Looks like the TM has gone the way of Vetter WIndJammer fairings.
Darn.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
McCruise is order directly from Australia now. Their 'cost' depends a lot on how the USD is doing against the AUD.
It is a rock solid unit - install and forget. And their install instructions are excellent and they pretty much provide everything down to the tie wraps. They no longer use the vacuum canister and now use an electronic actuator. For the ST1100, their CIU(cable interface unit) was well worth the price of admission for me. But Rostra units are fine, they just take a little more fiddling around from what I understand.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
they pretty much provide everything down to the tie wraps.
This is the key to choosing a McCruise over the Rostra. I can vouch for that having installed the Rostra on my 1100. I would agree the throttle interface is worth the price of admission.

I've read several threads here on the Rostra. Probably will go that route
I believe there are good instructions posted here for the Rostra for the 1300, but there's no support from the company if installed on a bike.
You will need to source a control pad. You will need to work out a throttle body connection. You will need to discover a speed source and possibly adapt a speed divider. You will have to configure the dip switches. It's all doable, you just need patience. I will admit to making a few mistakes when I installed mine, I learned. I also poured through hundreds of threads on this site to trouble shoot. I can now say I have mastered the install and it works as it should. I was hours from pulling the trigger and giving up on the Rostra to purchase a McCruise... the key was making sure I didn't have too much slack and that the servo was really securely mounted.
My reply isn't meant to be a downer...If you go down this route, it has a few challenges, once you master them you will have a wonderful grin on your face having made it work! ;)

Kim

I would like to install a cruise control on my 06 ST1300. I looked at the Throttlemiester, but that seams clumsy. What is your opinion of the TM and are there any other options available?

Thanks
Don
i have mounted a car cruise control on my st 1300 from 02. The actuator is placed behind the backseat and the controls to the left side where you normally find the heading system for the grip.

Top Bottom