Cutting out again

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I noticed a couple FLAGS from your pictures....
1st, the number #1 and #3 cylinders are running like crap as indicated by all the dirt on your throttle bodies etc.
Yes I see the dirt know.. that dirt does not come from the filtration system its dirt from air floating in. Would that dirt get inside the throttle body? How can I stop it. I'll clean the area tomorrow

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yes I see the dirt know.. that dirt does not come from the filtration system its dirt from air floating in. Would that dirt get inside the throttle body? How can I stop it. I'll clean the area tomorrow
Do NOT clean the black moly strip from any of the butterflies, it has to be there, and don’t spray anything near them as well.
You can use a cotton ball and some mmo to clean up the area etc.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Back together again. I check the hoses at the bottom of the canister and all looks great. I shortened the vacuum hoses... I cleaned the exterior and interior of all 4 throttle inlets nit touching the butterflies. The 2 bottom hoses are clear as well.
Thanks for all the info Igofar I really really appreciate it.. I've been wrenching on motorcycles since I was 13ish, I am now 62. I love working on them my son still has his 1980 CB650 stored here since 2017. 15c here and it's biking weather. Hopefully all works out if not I'm going to plunge and but the fuel pump.

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300

The dirt might be getting in past an poorly fitted air box cover. Check the seal/gasket that sits in the groove of the lower half of the air box, and that the filter remains in its proper position as it can easily be unintentionally moved while the cover is being installed.
BTW, are you using an OE type paper or K&N air filter? The latter will likely allow more dirty air to pass.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You need to clean the linkages, rod’s, and grommets, as they are so filthy it’s a wonder the idle wax valves work at all.
You don’t want my opinion on your K&N filter in your bike ;)

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
The dirt might be getting in past an poorly fitted air box cover. Check the seal/gasket that sits in the groove of the lower half of the air box, and that the filter remains in its proper position as it can easily be unintentionally moved while the cover is being installed.
BTW, are you using an OE type paper or K&N air filter? The latter will likely allow more dirty air to pass.
I always check fitment when I put things back together. The rubber gaskets were perfect on the bottom and top parts.
I installed my K&N 2012. It had some build up in the inside where it should be. I cleaned it and always let dry over night and then reoiled today. There is no gasket on the filter so I always put heavy grease on it to make a gasket... not a ton just enough to make a gasket.

Went for an hour drive in 11c sunshine. All is well for now. If it happens again I'm pretty sure a new pump will be installed. I bought the OEM service manual and have read it many many times since 2007.

Did I mention how much I hate connecting the back bottom Pair solenoid valve hose.. The service manual shows it being installed with the top gas tank off..

Bike
2004 ST1300
Yes the pair hose can be a bit challenging, especially trying to attach the spring clip.
Once you've done it several times it gets easier.
I connect the front hose first then the rear.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Yes the pair hose can be a bit challenging, especially trying to attach the spring clip.
Once you've done it several times it gets easier.
I connect the front hose first then the rear.
Same here, front first, struggle with back. I also have big hands size 10 glove

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Well. I happened. Me and 3 of my friends went for a drive today 18c... seen more beautiful Nova Scotia coast again this time Liverpool. We stopped several times had lunch in Liverpool and made our way home. It ran perfect right to my subdivision with 1/2 tank of gas. Made a right hand turn and it done it again. On acceleration it skips in every gear. I stopped and turned the ST off . Restarted idle no problem but started to cut out/skip when i started to accelerate. Stopped again opened the gas tank as if if I was going to refuel and that made it better. Came home had supper and proceeded to Canadian Tire to buy fuel injector cleaner. It worked perfect on the way there (2km). Poured cleaner in , put 8 liters of gas and drove home..

when it was acting up I could Rev the engine in neutral with no skip. Only under load would it act up

Worked perfect..

I have a question. If the fuel pump was bad would it Rev up with no problem in neutral but have a problem underload?
20221012_104912.jpg

20221012_114412.jpg

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
replace the fuel pump and at least you will know that is not the problem. not super expensive and takes less time than you have already spent trouble shooting.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fuel pump and filter was what I was going to do until I bought my 2nd ST, mine did exactly what yours is doing with a low fuel tank.
Ironically, mine ran well in cool temperatures and with a full tank of gas.
Don't forget to do the fuel filter as that may be the culprit from the word get-go.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Just ordered a new assembly.. on back order, just under $1000. Be here by Xmas they say. I gave them my VIN which may speed it up

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
look at your private messages ( the envelope in the upper right of the screen. i have sent you a couple of sources for the pump, filter and tank gasket for arround $100. 00 US. Perhaps you prefer to use only original Honda parts $1,000.00 CN

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
look at your private messages ( the envelope in the upper right of the screen. i have sent you a couple of sources for the pump, filter and tank gasket for arround $100. 00 US. Perhaps you prefer to use only original Honda parts $1,000.00 CN
Thanks for the info.. After a night of sleep I have reconsider my purchase. The complete unit is on back order until atleast December. Honda has the best parts for my bike, but I buy aftermarket brakes, bulbs, and accessories so why not a fuel pump their's failed. I will buy honda gas filter, new hose. I'm going to buy All Balls pump

https://fortnine.ca/en/all-balls-fuel-pump-rebuild-kit-47-2021 for 93 cdn.
USD exchange is high so I'll buy Canadian this time.

Big decisions.. on the road... it breaks, then what.. chances we take..

And again thanks for the links, I appreciate it...

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Went to the Stealer today and canceled my order. I'm buying a pump from All Balls. 106.54 shipped CDN. I did order a new fuel filter, base gasket, pump hose B, return fuel filter. Pump hose A is on back order so I didn't order it..

Question for those that replace the pump.

Did you buy new fuel lines or did you use the old original hoses.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would re-use your OEM hoses before I’d use the all ball’s or quantum supplied ones.
This is because I’ve personally seen almost a dozen failed ones in the last year so far.
I’m running on my re-used hoses and a quantum pump now and have had no issues so far.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I would re-use your OEM hoses before I’d use the all ball’s or quantum supplied ones.
This is because I’ve personally seen almost a dozen failed ones in the last year so far.
I’m running on my re-used hoses and a quantum pump now and have had no issues so far.
Thanks Igofar. I looked at the service manual and all it shows is using a new packing, I should have looked there 1st.. all totalled this adventure will be under $250cdn.

I appreciate your comment

thekaz

haz gone feral
Went to the Stealer today and canceled my order. I'm buying a pump from All Balls. 106.54 shipped CDN. I did order a new fuel filter, base gasket, pump hose B, return fuel filter. Pump hose A is on back order so I didn't order it..

Question for those that replace the pump.

Did you buy new fuel lines or did you use the old original hoses.
reuse your hose A assuming its fine :)

Top Bottom