Darkside testing complete

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Well as many of you know I have gone dark and to tell you the truth I was completely apprehensive at best. I was one of those that said you had to be half nuts to put a car tire on a Motorcycle. I thought that there was no way it would turn in as easy and the smaller contact patch would definitely make it a hazard when it came to cornering!! Other than going in a straight line it was worthless.

I was not going to change easy and was willing to spend the $105 to prove a few of my riding buddies wrong. OK when I changed to the CT. I put 35 psi in it and took of for a quick 200 mile ride that was mostly slab riding! I was not overly impressed and found if there was any unsettling of the suspension while in a curve was an extremely bad thing. It was not a confidence inspiring event! (if you know what I mean) I was almost ready to switch back to a MC tire when I got home!! I didn?t, but rather played with suspension settings and adjusted tire pressures. I have now found what I call my sweet spot.

What I have done to try to prove to my friends that this CT is a bad Idea. I have ridden at speeds in excess of the speed limit... Like twice the limit!. And this tire just goes along for the ride. It feels like it is on a rail and is very stable at speed and weight on the bike doesn?t seem to matter much.. But straight line is one thing and I didn?t buy the ST to go straight and pass up the curves..

Curves with a CT was something I could not understand. It seems so contrary to what I would think a big flat CT would do.. I took the bike to MNSTOC. The roads there was mostly medium to high speed sweepers. There was a few good good tighter roads also but I was looking for Medium Sweepers. This is my kind of riding! This tire performed Much Much Much better than I ever thought.. I followed a fellow rider that I consider better than I and to my surprise I was able to keep up and didn't have any troubles. (I asked him if he was running slower than normal. He explained that he was running as hard as he normally does!!!)He and I were Impressed and as I thought about the ride. I did not feel that there was a lot of difference from a MC tire. Tip in was not lighting fast but was not overly slow ether. Grip was as good or better than with a MC tire.. Yep.. I was totally impressed but not totally sold but very close..

Closed course Advanced riding class/track class.
I was worried it they would even allow me to use this on the track with a CT. I didn?t ask and figured It was easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. So with the intro and pre-ride of the course I was becoming somewhat worried if this was a good idea!! I figured What the heck.. I was going to try this and take it slow but continue to go faster as the day went along. The plan was good but keeping the speed down was hard due to the fact I am competitive and don?t like to be passed. The adrenalin took over and before I knew about it I was running along at a much faster clip than I thought I would be going and this CT was running GREAT!!! many of the other riders had to reduce their tire pressures to keep their grip in the corners but I kept it at the same level I normally run on the street!!! No problems with grip in a corner, NONE!! I was dragging parts and twisting the throttle hard in the corner and there were no signs of any issues what so ever.. The pace I was going here at the track was far in excess of what I would ever consider to run on the street!!

So with my unscientific testing complete. I can not say this is a bad Idea! I will run this tire until I need to replace it with another..
This is just my opinion and is not a guarantee of like performance!!

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Wow a track day on a CT and your still in one piece , thanks for the testing and keep trying to find things it woun't do !

Bike
2006 ST1300
redst05: Thanks for the unbiased...well, wait...actually, biased AGAINST a CT...report. Going from a skeptic to saying good things about CTs is a huge step. While these aren't for everyone, or every situation,...and may even not be for you after your testing...you at least were able to give an unbiased report of what its like to run one in various conditions, and are alive to post it.

Jim

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Well as many of you know I have gone dark and to tell you the truth I was completely apprehensive at best. I was one of those that said you had to be half nuts to put a car tire on a Motorcycle. I thought that there was no way it would turn in as easy and the smaller contact patch would definitely make it a hazard when it came to cornering!! Other than going in a straight line it was worthless.
Have you had a chance to ride the CT on a rainy day?

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
My insurance will deny a claim if a car tire is installed...and I have an accident involving tire failure...not sayin they ain't safe...but "Like a good neighboor" does not like em...

Had a Legion Rider on a HD Ultra Classic loose it in a sweeper...Had a run flat CT installed...Low sided...Probably rider error but "Like a good neighboor" denied the whole claim and removed insurance from the bike...bike totalled and no coverage now...policy stated 'non-type parts substitution or modifications" nulls the policy...might want to check your policy and call and ask your agent as well just to be sure...

OP
OP
redst05
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have had some rain but not like I would consider a good rain and didnt have a lot of corners to play in. Sorry. But I will report on this when I have a chance.

OP
OP
redst05
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
My insurance will deny a claim if a car tire is installed...and I have an accident involving tire failure...not sayin they ain't safe...but "Like a good neighboor" does not like em...

Sorry Tiny... But I checked and as long as it was DOT it is good. But we will never really know until there is a claim. Now back to the topic and enough of the insurance stuff. I think that has been covered in other threads.

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Sorry Tiny... But I checked and as long as it was DOT it is good. But we will never really know until there is a claim. Now back to the topic and enough of the insurance stuff. I think that has been covered in other threads.

Sorry, Did not mean to :BDH: Just passing on what happened to one of my riders...

I know Raymond in Wichita really likes his CT...and he is a pretty aggressive rider who likes to move Tags...nice report !!!!

OP
OP
redst05
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Telling people what my sweet spot is will be different in many cases due to size of rider and stock suspension age and set up. But I will tell you I roll in at around 245 for weight! And I ride with a well stocked tool kit and the other things I consider necessary, add another 10 - 15 lbs. Add trunk (Can make a difference in handling) This all said I am 2 clicks from full preload and tire pressure is at 42-43 lbs! I am running a Metzler Z6 tire in the front and also am running that at 42 psi. I ran this pressure during the time I spent at the track and felt no need to reduce pressure to gain more grip like so many other riders did that day!

Now remember when at the track I was not holding back... I was actually laping riders considered better than I.. But when the session was over I was told that next time I would need to go up a class or two considering my speed and skill-set..

This tire does holds a good line. As good as some MC tires I have had!!

I don't think this is for all people and have never said that everyone should even try it. But If your insurance allows it and your thinking about it. Go for it and try it.. The worst thing is your out a few dollars..

Bike
2006 ST1300
The worst thing is your out a few dollars..

My simplest opinion of it is comparing it to changing brands of MC tire. It will have some handling differences, but nothing you can't get used to. If you don't like it, you can always switch back.

People don't hesitate to run 80k mile rated tires on cages to save money by increasing lifespan, and I think there is more of a safety issue running those than running a CT on a motorcycle. 80k mile cage tires are a very hard rubber compound- braking distance in greatly increased; rain traction is greatly decreased; and cornering traction is decreased. None of those basic safety concerns seem to exist with the CT...in fact, traction in all areas seems to be greatly increased. If you can live with the couple of minor annoyances, such as feeling road cracks more, then its a good candidate.

Jim

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
My simplest opinion of it is comparing it to changing brands of MC tire. It will have some handling differences, but nothing you can't get used to. If you don't like it, you can always switch back.

People don't hesitate to run 80k mile rated tires on cages to save money by increasing lifespan, and I think there is more of a safety issue running those than running a CT on a motorcycle. 80k mile cage tires are a very hard rubber compound- braking distance in greatly increased; rain traction is greatly decreased; and cornering traction is decreased. None of those basic safety concerns seem to exist with the CT...in fact, traction in all areas seems to be greatly increased. If you can live with the couple of minor annoyances, such as feeling road cracks more, then its a good candidate.

Jim
That is where I was a little hesitant when I read about the 100,000 mile London Taxi Tire. I don't like a real hard compound tire.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
That is where I was a little hesitant when I read about the 100,000 mile London Taxi Tire. I don't like a real hard compound tire.

It sounds like George is happy with it. He has said nothing negative about grip.

Top Bottom