Darkside testing complete

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It sounds like George is happy with it. He has said nothing negative about grip.
I just wonder how well that tire will hold up here in the Spring and Fall when the road is cold and your tires take forever to heat up. In the past I have had issues with my MC tires stepping out on me on cold mornings. There have been a few times on my 1100 that I was sliding both tires in corners. That is what I like about the TPM on my 1300. I can see my pressures come up and have a good idea that the rubber has at least warmed up so it is a green light to have some fun.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
The Vstrom and a Ninja 250. Nope on the waterpump, haven't had much time for garage work lately.
I understand that, we have to focus on racking up as many miles as possible as the season is nearing an end. Looks like we are going to have several days with highs in the 60s this week. I think I saw forecast lows in the 40s. So time to bust out the Gerbings gear on the morning commute.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good point Dave, I hope George has as good of luck with them cold as he has now.

JZH

International Bodger
Sorry Tiny... But I checked and as long as it was DOT it is good. But we will never really know until there is a claim. Now back to the topic and enough of the insurance stuff. I think that has been covered in other threads.
I believe what was said in other threads was along the lines of "nobody's ever had an insurance claim denied due to a car tire having been fitted". Isn't that what Tiny just said had happened to someone he knows? :confused:

Ciao,

Bike
2006 ST1300
I believe what was said in other threads was along the lines of "nobody's ever had an insurance claim denied due to a car tire having been fitted". Isn't that what Tiny just said had happened to someone he knows? :confused:

Ciao,
While the ins. thing has been :BDH:, I just want to respond to this one. Some ins. companies will try to deny claims based on just about anything they want. I had one cut my payout in half because my bike had a couple scratches on it, making it "abused and previously damaged" (gasp...an XR600 with a couple scratches). But going by the post about denied coverage, it makes no sense. What would they deny it for? Non OEM type parts? Then what about our aftermarket top boxes, windshields, lighting, and other mods. It all comes back to putting DS tires in the category as any other aftermarket accessory...not every ins. company might like them, not every one will care about them, and there might be some that will try to deny a claim.

I'll take the risk, for the benefits I'm getting.

Jim

OP
OP
redst05
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Quote Originally Posted by redst05 View Post
Sorry Tiny... But I checked and as long as it was DOT it is good. But we will never really know until there is a claim. Now back to the topic and enough of the insurance stuff. I think that has been covered in other threads.
I believe what was said in other threads was along the lines of "nobody's ever had an insurance claim denied due to a car tire having been fitted". Isn't that what Tiny just said had happened to someone he knows?

I was Stating that I had checked with MY Insurance Man!! Mine!! No one else!
They could also deny a claim for after market suspension!!! Maybe!~! Exhaust!! Air filter! The list could go on and on.. Anything altering the handling or performance could be a possible cause for denial!

I know its a possibility!! Lets not beat the dead horse!

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Truly back to the topic, can any of you Darksider's tell me anything about the run flat tires.. I've heard some of the wingers are running them. I've found several in the ST CT size.. After doing my SS1000, I've decided to make the 07 rebuild a solo LD rig. so mostly slab .. Thanks for any info ..

OP
OP
redst05
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I think the sidewall might be to stuff. Not that it would not work. But knowing what a little PSI difference will make. I would like to be able to dial in the right amount of air to keep things running smooth and not rely on the tire itself.
I know some FJR and Wingers are running them. Don't know what they are saying!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Truly back to the topic, can any of you Darksider's tell me anything about the run flat tires.. I've heard some of the wingers are running them. I've found several in the ST CT size.. After doing my SS1000, I've decided to make the 07 rebuild a solo LD rig. so mostly slab .. Thanks for any info ..
I haven't run one...but I really see no reason to. CTs have thicker sidewalls and tread than MC tires, so they are already much more rugged and more puncture resistant. I would think going with a runflat would make the tire harder, especially the sidewall...and our good-handling CTs depend on the sidewall flexing in the corners. So I have no plans to try a runflat.

Answer this- you have toured on MC tires...did you ever use a runflat? (I don't believe there even is such a thing for MC tires). Even if you put a runflat on the rear, you still have the more delicate MC tire up front.

Jim

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I haven't run one...but I really see no reason to. CTs have thicker sidewalls and tread than MC tires, so they are already much more rugged and more puncture resistant. I would think going with a runflat would make the tire harder, especially the sidewall...and our good-handling CTs depend on the sidewall flexing in the corners. So I have no plans to try a runflat.

Answer this- you have toured on MC tires...did you ever use a runflat? (I don't believe there even is such a thing for MC tires). Even if you put a runflat on the rear, you still have the more delicate MC tire up front.

Jim
The train of thought behind the run flat is the rear tire appears to be more susceptible to a flat , larger tire area and the front kicks up what ever you hit ( nail, screw, piece of metal) and catches in the rear tire. In the event I'm in the middle of no where, cell reception sucks, and banjo's playing off in the distance and I have a non repairable puncture, I'd like to be able to limp it along slow to some where safe, like the next exit, with out ruining my rear rim. Now if the CT's sidewalls your running currently will support the rear loaded weight ( saddles backs full, luggage and top box) deflated for a short slow distance with out tearing up my rim, I could live with that.

Keep in mind that the 07 primary function is for solo slabbing. I have the 2010 for two up and twisties, but don't see me doing any knee dragging on either in the near future, that's how I got the 07 paid off and now rebuilding.

Thanks for your input..

Their are ATV run flat tires :) couldn't resist ....

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've only ever had one puncture on an MC tire, and I'd venture to say if it had been a CT, it wouldn't have happened. The CT's have much more rubber depth and carcass thickness. MC tires are paper thin and...... think about what you put them through. No wonder they don't last very long.

OP
OP
redst05
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Here is a picture of the Darkside tire during my riding on the closed course. The tire footprint in this photo is fairly large even at this angle. This is with 42lbs of pressure in the tire!

This is in no way a claim that this tire should be used on the track. I used this time on the track to test what this tire could do or not do for my self! When I go back, the ST will be on a set of Z6s.

Attachments

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police

Jim
This may help this discussion -- I have been using Car Tires on my Goldwing 2 Years now using both Run-Flat and Non-Run Flat models. The Run-Flat models get less Mileage and do run on the edge more so the the Non Run Flat but we are finding the Rubber is sticker than a Motorcycle Tire and we only run 30 to 34 PSI in them even on a Heavy Goldwing fully loaded pulling a Trailer even. The Contact Patch is longer front to back so to speak with there being still more rubber on the Road then a Motorcycle Tire even in a steep corner.

We have found that the Run-Flat does corner OK. Personally I don't like the Car Tire models with wimpy Side walls like Falken as they require a lot of Air Pressure to prevent to much sidewall flex. What I have settled on is the GoodYear TripleTred Non Run Flat Car Tire which has a fairly Stiff Sidewall not needing those high pressures and has exceptional Mileage with 45,000 Miles being reported with the heavy Goldwing.

That being said the first Car Tire I tried on my ST1300PA was the Pirelli Run-Flat but it would not Fit on my ST1300 as when I tried to install it I could not compress the Sidewall at all to get it by the ABS Sensor on Rear Swing Arm.

I have jumped at the Hankook after hearing that it fits the ST1300 OK and just may try the GoodYear TripleTred 205/50-17 when I wear out this Hankook later. I really hope some other ST Owner tries out the GoodYear and reports back on whether it fits so we all know. The GoodYear has 2 Steel Belts = 1 Polyester + 2 Nylon Tread Plies just like the Hankook BUT it has 2 Polyester Tread Plies in Sidewall whereas the Hankook has only 1 Polyester Sidewall Ply. I am gun shy as I paid to mount the Pirelli then UN-Mount it on my Rim and took a Hit trying to exchange it for a Car Tire for my Goldwing.

Another Gem of INFO is I am using the Bridgestone G709 Front Tire on my Goldwing and found out to my surprise that it actually runs almost as well as a Run-Flat when you lose all air. What happened with me is I had installed a Doran TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor) then on a ride on secondary roads at night the Doran Alarmed me of Air Loss. As I slowed to a stop I noticed my Goldwing handled very bad as speed reduced.

Yes all the Air was gone as the Goldwing so called Metal Valve Stems actually have rubber attaching them to the Cast Wheel and had broke off. Here I was 60 Miles from home in the Country at night and no Garages in sight or open. I did find my Doran Sensor OK but it was damaged from being flung to the road. I tried limping at slow speed but it was hopeless, then remembered my Goldwing actually run fairly well at high speed till I come to a stop. So I took a chance and goosed it to a higher speed only to find that I could actually ride it at 60MPH all the way Home. Replaced the Valve Stem with a Metal Valve Stem from Doran on both front and rear rims -- aired up the front Tire to end up with 20,000 Miles before I replaced it.

The G709 Tire is 130/70-18 very close to the OEM Tire size for the ST1300 120/70-18 and the G709 just never cups like all the other front tires seem do that I have tried. Unless someone beats me to it I will be trying the G709 as my next Tire on my ST1300. Side Note: I only run the G709 with 34 PSI as I needed to make the Contact Patch wider since it has stiff side walls it actually grips better in corners then it does with Goldwing recommended higher pressures. I our discussions on the Goldwing Darkside Board other Riders have confirmed this finding. PS: with the wider Contact Patch there is increased mileage before needing replacement.

I like the G709 so much and being scared that they might stop producing it that I actually have (9) of them at my Home coated with Armor All to stop aging in my Dry Basement. My Goldwing has over 100,000 and as a New G709 on the front presently

PS: The GoodYear TripleTred Pictures in my Gallery has 15,000 Miles on it already and looks almost new! Also note the length of the Contact patch on the Ground looking at it sideways at 34 PSI.

My 2 Cents,

Northern Dancer,

Ron

Last edited:

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Just a thought but with so many motorcycles running car tires to improve milage you would thing the big industries would redesign their products to produce a motorcycle tire that incorperates the compounds and tread life of the car tire. I see that there is a link between the size of the contact patch and less wear per mile. Just expressing MHO.

Bike
ST1300
Just a thought but with so many motorcycles running car tires to improve milage you would thing the big industries would redesign their products to produce a motorcycle tire that incorperates the compounds and tread life of the car tire.
Yes, one could hope that at least one MT company would pick up on the idea. Obviously thousands of riders desire the longevity enough that they are willing to take a lot of abuse and explore the unknowns. Lots of non-believers say that we are only trying to save money... NO... I'm simply trying to find something that is more to the TOURING side of my ST.

Last Thursday I rode 20 miles of gravel roads over and around Grandfather Mountain ... one of the highest peaks in NC. I was doing all of 15 mph average and most of the time standing up on the pegs to navigate through ruts, around rocks, and keeping the front wheel light when the gravel and sand got deep. I would never have tried this with a MT ... and even with the Hankook on the back I knew the bike was being pushed beyond far beyond the design limits. BUT, it was nice to know that if I was without a choice of good roads to a destination that I could still make it over a poor one while riding the bike rather than pushing it.... because we all know you don't push an ST very far.

Even though there are many, many, riders of all makes and models using the CT I doubt that any of the major manufacturers will ever attempt to make something for us. The market just isn't large enough. Now, if we could convince them that all of us are just 19 years old and live each day just to suck down four or five cans of energy drink .... they might consider it.

STOC #
I think the M/C tire makers would argue they already offer high mileage options in their tire lines. At least Metzler has their ME88 Marathon which will last twice as long as their ordinary street radials but at the expense of some traction. I also think the tire makers are not motivated right now to provide what would be a rather radical step for them either. What we need is a car tire maker to actually start marketing a motorcycle specific tire and get the motorcycle tire maker's attention. But their point of view is they are already making sales so why bother.

Frankly I don't see either happening soon. If for any reason, no one will want to be the first with official exposure to liability. The first person involved in a bad accident will inevitably line up a lawyer to blame an "unproven design."

Top Bottom