Darkside testing complete

Bike
ST1300
Car tire makers were the ORIGINAL MC tire mfgs .... It wasn't till about 50 years ago that motorcycle specific tires began to make a peculiar move away from durability toward performance. Once the 'average' rider embraced the ability to drag a knee on any twisty road the stage was set for a move away from touring tires.

goodyear_tires.JPG

Bike
2006 ST1300
As much as I would love to see a true high-mileage touring tire, it just wouldn't be worth doing for such a small segment of the riding population, and why would they want to make a tire that would COST THEM CUSTOMERS?

Motorcyclists are a small percentage of the motorized industry. Very high mileage tourers are an extremely small percentage of that population. What would they sell, 500 tires a year? If that?

My wife and I just got back from a weekend ride with RealST through northern NH and Maine. My rear tire was getting low- it was just at the wear bars. I knew we would be running at least 500 miles 2-up. If I had a MC tire on there that was this low, I would have had to replace it before the trip, because chances are, it would have been to the cords before getting home. But although I have a brand new Hankook sitting here, we left home on the old tire. We ended up doing 700 miles on a variety of roads, all 2-up. There is barely any noticeable wear after the trip. It IS time to change it...but it handled the trip safely. We could have easily done a trip twice as long without worry. THERE is the safety factor of the CT. The last MC tire I had on the back wasn't even at the wear bars when we left for a 250 mile round trip 2-up. The tire had cords showing and was losing air as we pulled back in the driveway.

Jim

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
What I'd like to see is the tires we're using in a 190-195/17 size, but alas they don't seem to exist. Having said that, the dynamics of the wider tire probably allows the tire to lay down a larger contact patch, so who's to know what is best until it's tested.

Top Bottom