Dead animals in the road.

Bike
2002 ST 1100
I am wondering if there are any statistics on which lane (right or left in the same direction) of a four lane highway dead animals are most likely to be in?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't think so, never seen it... it's pretty much a crap shoot..

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
At the Council I work for here in AUS, we use to keep statistics on road kill, but not that one. IMHO, logic would indicate most road kill on multi-lane roads would be in the left lane because there is more traffic in the left lane, and that is because in AUS we drive / ride on the left and have a "keep left unless overtaking rule".

So for US and CA substitute right for left. My two month driving experience in US and CA is that drivers / riders are very courteous and disciplined and keep to the right unless overtaking - unlike Aussie drivers in AUS.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
At the Council I work for here in AUS, we use to keep statistics on road kill, but not that one. IMHO, logic would indicate most road kill on multi-lane roads would be in the left lane because there is more traffic in the left lane, and that is because in AUS we drive / ride on the left and have a "keep left unless overtaking rule".

So for US and CA substitute right for left. My two month driving experience in US and CA is that drivers / riders are very courteous and disciplined and keep to the right unless overtaking - unlike Aussie drivers in AUS.
I'm going to assume you didn't drive much around the New York metropolitan area. I'm in central New Jersey and motorists failing to keep right is on of my pet peeves. In fairness, however, many roads are not designed to accommodate "keep right" (such as left exits) and the volume of traffic is great enough that sometimes moving into the right lane gets you stuck there.

As for dead things... I do a fair amount of bicycle riding and it seems to me that most of them are near or on the shoulder.

Bike
VStrom 650
Having just got back from Alnwick, which is 20 miles of country roads, they're covered in blummin pheasants, dead and alive, no distinguishable pattern of death; but the crow's were enjoying the carnage.
Good news is I didn't hit one of the flying rats.
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Doesn't matter statistics are typically creative and focused on the authors intent.

One thing is certain... if some study says they will always be on the right side of the lane, and you decide to travel mostly on the left side... 9 times out of 10, you'll hit one on the left side... lol.. So even if they existed, ignore the stats... just be attentive and assume they can be anywhere, dead or alive..

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would suspect, and it's been my experience, that most of the dead animals will be just off the right lane to the right (or left lane to the left for AUS). Reason? After the kill hit others will continue to run it over and eventually they end up just off the road towards whatever side it was hit. Just likes rocks, trash, or anything else that ends up in the road.

We get a lot of deer. They usually end up right where the blood stain in the road stops. Then you can see where someone dragged them off to the right...

Bike
2010 ST1300
In my experience, most animal carcasses remain where the beast was killed. :rofl1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mellow said:
Doesn't matter statistics are typically creative and focused on the authors intent.
Even when they aren't there are usually a lot of variables that are either not considered in the initial gathering, or ignored by those 'reusing' them creatively focused on some intent. That leaves is free to ignore or use them for our own purposes. Not that it would ever happen. :rofl1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

Maybe in Texas where they will "site" (ticket) you for driving in the left lane, but in CA, you usually have to pass the turkey doing around (or lower) than the speed limit, sitting in the left lane! :mad:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yeah CA has no 'Passing Lane' laws for the 'fast' lane. With our traffic few roads could support that. We used to have SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs but those have been long gone everywhere I've been. There are a couple of impeding traffic laws but they've seldom enforced.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Yeah CA has no 'Passing Lane' laws for the 'fast' lane. With our traffic few roads could support that. We used to have SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs but those have been long gone everywhere I've been. There are a couple of impeding traffic laws but they've seldom enforced.
we still have the keep right signs around here, but they're worthless, nobody obeys that law and no cop ever seems to enforce it. I suspect its because its a bit ambiguous what constitutes 'slower' when everyone is going 15mph over the speed limit. You could probably argue to a judge that you were going the speed limit, so why would you be obligated to drive in a 'slow traffic' lane?

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
I'm going to assume you didn't drive much around the New York metropolitan area........
You assume correctly. our driving was in the PNW, BC, and then a loop though to the Grand Canyon and return to CA. Except for LA, I was pleasantly surprised with the courtesy of the drivers.

In AUS, too many drivers are agorrant and rude, road rage is too frequent. I suspect you don't get much road rage in the US, I get the impression that it could escalate pretty quickly, someone pull a gun and finish it.

Another pleasant surprise was the respect drivers had for pedestrians. If that is something you guys are use to, be careful when you come to Australia. If you step on to the road here don't expect a driver to stop, expect to get run over.

...... you were going the speed limit, so why would you be obligated to drive in a 'slow traffic' lane?
That seems to be the attitude here.

There are frequent calls for the Police to enforce the "keep left unless overtaking" rule on rural on multi-lane rural roads and freeways, these mostly have a 110km/h limit, but some drivers will sit in the right lane at 90km/h. Every now and again there will be a report of someone being booked, and then that follows with do-gooders whining about us being over-policed, revenue raising - Victoria is often referred to as the nanny state.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Williamson said:
I suspect you don't get much road rage in the US, I get the impression that it could escalate pretty quickly, someone pull a gun and finish it.
Unfortunately that happens here far too often and more than we'd like to admit.

Williamson said:
Every now and again there will be a report of someone being booked, and then that follows with do-gooders whining about us being over-policed, revenue raising
That too! LOL We want the other guy to get nicked but whine when we're caught doing the same thing. 'Why aren't you out catching criminals!' Making revenue off the backs of violators is fine by me. :D

Bike
2004 ST1300
we still have the keep right signs around here, but they're worthless, nobody obeys that law and no cop ever seems to enforce it. I suspect its because its a bit ambiguous what constitutes 'slower' when everyone is going 15mph over the speed limit. You could probably argue to a judge that you were going the speed limit, so why would you be obligated to drive in a 'slow traffic' lane?

There should never be reference to "slow lane" or "fast lane" as almost no one wants to be associated with life in the "slow lane". It should always be referred to as the "driving lane" and the "passing lane". Maybe that would help, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom