Dead animals in the road.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
we still have the keep right signs around here, but they're worthless, nobody obeys that law and no cop ever seems to enforce it. I suspect its because its a bit ambiguous what constitutes 'slower' when everyone is going 15mph over the speed limit. You could probably argue to a judge that you were going the speed limit, so why would you be obligated to drive in a 'slow traffic' lane?
NC now has a law that a Trooper can give you a ticket for holding up traffic in the left lane......... even if you are going the speed limit! It doesn't seem to affect the left lane bandit's at all. I still have to pass just as many cars on the right as on the left.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

Pretty good idea but it's just a start. Tim Abbott from Crown Point needs to think this through a little better. When he does I'm sure he'll suggest that deer should only be allowed to cross on certain days & times ... & they must walk! All this bounding around has to end.

PS: Fall is here. Its getting colder. Invite a deer in where its warm. Despite the danger they pose on our roads they are wonderful house guests. I made some slow cooker venison stew the other day. Yes, very good house guests indeed.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I am wondering if there are any statistics on which lane (right or left in the same direction) of a four lane highway dead animals are most likely to be in?
Now you have me wondering: ..... which direction will feeding buzzards fly? More importantly why not mandate louder pipes that face forward? Does Mellow really exist? If so why does God let him? I'll never sleep again!

Tom

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
....... Invite a deer in where its warm. Despite the danger they pose on our roads they are wonderful house guests. I made some slow cooker venison stew the other day. Yes, very good house guests indeed.
Got a T-shirt in Gardiner MT last year, it has a message wild animals should be on the range, the cooking range. My vegan daughter ain't impressed.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

Maybe in Texas where they will "site" (ticket) you for driving in the left lane, but in CA, you usually have to pass the turkey doing around (or lower) than the speed limit, sitting in the left lane! :mad:
AMEN! Same here in "The Land of Beige." The damn child worshiping diaper sniffers with those cute little decals of their family on the rear window, will be texting and holding a cup of coffee. I just assume to run over a dead animal, just to get by the rolling road block...

Last edited:

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
As for the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs... They are posted on the interstates around here, but don't do a damn bit of good. Down South, there is where "Keep Right, Except To Pass" seems to be a more logical sign to keep traffic moving, and keep the do-gooders, and "Mr. and Mrs. Natural Fibers" out of the left lane and holding up traffic.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I think the road kill ends up on the right outside of the lane. I drive a F350 Ford Dually on most days. When I come up on road kill on the edge of the road I try to move over to the center line. The outside rear wheel stick out about 10 inch more. So if I am not careful those outside wheels will catch the road kill and sling it all inside the fender. This has happened a few times and usually at night. It has a very distinctive smell that will not go away without a wash. I had to do a clean up yesterday after running over a totally flat something on a narrow road with on coming traffic. Never drive behind a dually on a motorcycle if you can help it. Most do not have road kill flaps on the rear wheels.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I think this person got it right. Those deer crossing signs are just in the wrong place. This is something your local government needs to act on immediately.

Top Bottom