Do You Trust Your Tires In The Rain?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am taught that wet pavement still provides 70-80% of the friction coefficient of dry pavement and modern tires with adequate tread depth can utilize all of it. Of course this is disregarding painted areas, metal manhole covers, oil/coolant drippings and debris but that exists wet or dry.

Staying within adequate safety margins do you enjoy riding in the rain or does wet pavement create tension and anxiety for you?

Maybe the title should properly be Do You Trust Yourself In The Rain?
2923621_1200x800.jpg

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I don't mind riding in the rain providing I have on the correct gear. I tend to dial it back a fair bit simply because I can't be as sure of the road surface (eg. just how deep is that pooled water?) and I am not as confident of my ability as I am in the dry. I think today's road tires, with sufficient tread depth, are pretty capable. I vaguely remember a former racer commenting that today's road tires have more traction in the wet that wet racing tires of a decade ago.

The best part of riding in the rain is the smells after it quits!!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
As hard as I try to corner when dry, I do not trust traction in the wet. I can experiment and learn tire adhesion when it's dry, but how do you learn the limits of traction when that traction is variable and unknown?

I din't know how one can learn that which is not consistent without occasionally finding out the hard way what is trying too hard? This is even more critical when on a weekend ride miles from home and my trailer.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
No problems with rain.
Whether it be light showers or a frog strangler.
My tires grip well and I'm confident.
My only concern is other cages on the roadway.
A good road with no traffic during a serious downpour is actually
quite invigorating to me.
Also enjoy the smells both during and after the rain.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I enjoy riding in the rain; a lot! Smells are enhanced, scenery colors become richer with deeper hues . . . it's a different world. Sounds are muted and, for me, relaxing. It does require a much higher degree of vigilance as visibility is reduced both for me and for all the others out on the road who have difficulty seeing me even when the sun is shining. But out on a country road with no traffic it's happy days time and a . . . free bike wash!

Sure, I'm not as aggressive carving corners, and it's not just about tread depth. The tread design is also important. I'm very confident on Pilot Road 2/3/4/5 tires. Riding gear is another key factor for rainy riding enjoyment. Once the rain gets through whatever gear you're wearing (gloves, suit, boots, etc.) the enjoyment factor declines rapidly. Goretek boots, Roadcrafter riding suit (my preference, but several other suits are as good or even better) and waterproof covers for my gloves (mechanics XXXL rubber gloves worn over my riding gloves - thanks Uncle Phil for recommending) keep me dry as a bone and smiling every mile.

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I trust my tires,, because I have some that are excellent in the wet,,, as long as they are on asphalt or concrete. Paint or tar snakes are a different story,,, and we have a lot of that around here. When I first got my bike,,, I had tires from the PO,,, that I hardly could trust in the dry,,, let alone rain/wet. As far as the paint and tar snakes go,,, I have never understood why they could not add some abrasive (like silica),, to the mix to seriously enhance traction. But the answer is likely $$$. Also,,,, McRider on you-tube has several excellent video's on riding in the rain,, well worth watching,,, cheers,, CAt'

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I enjoy riding in the rain; a lot! Smells are enhanced, scenery colors become richer with deeper hues . . . it's a different world. Sounds are muted and, for me, relaxing.

Sure, I'm not as aggressive carving corners, and it's not just about tread depth. The tread design is also important. I'm very confident on Pilot Road 2/3/4/5 tires. Riding gear is another key factor for rainy riding enjoyment. Once the rain gets through whatever gear you're wearing (gloves, suit, boots, etc.) the enjoyment factor declines rapidly. Goretek boots, Roadcrafter riding suit (my preference, but several other suits are as good or even better) and waterproof covers for my gloves (mechanics XXXL rubber gloves worn over my riding gloves - thanks Uncle Phil for recommending) keep me dry as a bone and smiling every mile.

Shuey
As you may remember, my friend, I moved away from Michelins after the 3s. I really only liked the PR1/2/3s in the rain and wet riding is a small % of my overall riding and in the dry I disliked them. Bridgestone 023s, T30s, Evos, and T31s were for me a better all around tire for quite a long time. However, the RT I acquired late last year had a set of Michelin Road 5s on it and my earlier dislikes of the Pilot Road series vanished. The Road 5 is a fantastic wet or dry tire on the RT. I highly recommend them.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I take it easy in the rain - probably way too easy. In other words, I don't trust myself in the rain. The fact that I have never (in recent times) even had a slight "unwanted tire movement" during my rides, means that I am nowhere close to the limits of what the bike and tires can do. My goal is to become more confident cornering in the rain - I have read that you can lean a bike much further than most people think, even in the rain. I am taking an advanced riding course this summer to also help with my confidence.

My plan is to start riding a little more aggressively in the rain. If I approach the limits (which is unlikely), I would expect the bike to tell me gently rather than crashing. The reason I say this is based on an experience from when I was much younger: I was entering a freeway via a curved acceleration lane. I gave it full throttle and my front tire started to slide. I quickly let go of the throttle, and I was just fine. Assuming the reduced weight on the front during acceleration, plus the wet pavement, plus the curve all contributed to this unpleasant experience. But I maintained rubber down.

I hit some black ice a few years ago which made me wipe out. That experience is still in the back of my mind, but I have to tell myself that ice and rain are two different things. So again - I would expect some warning signs as I approach limits in wet roads, unlike ice...

Thoughts?

Bike
2010 ST1300
My anxiety level goes up in the rain. I trust the bike and tires and ride more conservatively, but it is the factors I cannot control that worry me. Decreased visibility means cars have more trouble seeing me, wet tar snakes, manhole covers, and aging painted lines might not be as visible to me w/ a wet face shield and are not as easily avoided. Cognitively I have confidence in the bike and my ability in the wet, emotionally its another story.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I agree with Shuey. As a daily rider I ride in the rain a lot, and you learn to accept it for what it is...liquid sunshine lol. I trust myself and my tires to the limits I am willing to ride. Slow it down a bit, anticipate and adjust.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I take it easy in the rain - probably way too easy. In other words, I don't trust myself in the rain. The fact that I have never (in recent times) even had a slight "unwanted tire movement" during my rides, means that I am nowhere close to the limits of what the bike and tires can do. My goal is to become more confident cornering in the rain - I have read that you can lean a bike much further than most people think, even in the rain. I am taking an advanced riding course this summer to also help with my confidence.

My plan is to start riding a little more aggressively in the rain. If I approach the limits (which is unlikely), I would expect the bike to tell me gently rather than crashing. The reason I say this is based on an experience from when I was much younger: I was entering a freeway via a curved acceleration lane. I gave it full throttle and my front tire started to slide. I quickly let go of the throttle, and I was just fine. Assuming the reduced weight on the front during acceleration, plus the wet pavement, plus the curve all contributed to this unpleasant experience. But I maintained rubber down.

I hit some black ice a few years ago which made me wipe out. That experience is still in the back of my mind, but I have to tell myself that ice and rain are two different things. So again - I would expect some warning signs as I approach limits in wet roads, unlike ice...

Thoughts?
I remember how my confidence level grew after taking an advanced riding course and the instruction pushed my limits at the time. I think the course you take this summer will be a lot of fun and a confidence builder. I took other courses later and experienced similar confidence building.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I agree with Shuey as well. The gear does make a difference. I've been using neoprene gloves of late, like the scuba gear stuff. My hands get wet but stay warm.
It's for the first half hour of the rain storm that I'm extremly cautious as the oil from the pavement floats on top of the wet pavement, after about a half hour it is fine and I just enjoy the ride.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I will ride in the rain because I didn't have an option readily available.. Otherwise riding in the rain sucks.. I DON'T CARE WHAT WATER TIGHT GEAR YOU HAVE!.. LOL! I have allot of gear and some really expensive stuff.. YOU GET WET. PERIOD!. You better show me a body condom to tell me you can stay dry. Keeping water tight around your neck, wrists and feet is tough.
Rain doesn't bother me as far as skills to handle it. As mentioned, cut back and enjoy the situation..
Getting wet- That's what I hate.. I've rode in downpours for hours. I've road in lots of rainy day situations. Water always finds a hole somewhere and that area just progresses.
I hate riding with my shield closed. depending on the situation, you can find a happy spot with the bikes windscreen and cracked open helmet shield to keep dry, until the next car blows by and drowns you.. LOL.

Happy Riding in the Rain!!! :cool:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Do You Trust Yourself In The Rain?
I don't. I don't like riding in the rain at all and I don't like the occasional loss of traction. Some of that is because for 2 years my only transportation was my GL1000 in 2 of the worst rains we've had in this area in decades. I avoid rain at all costs.

Bike
VStrom 650
I agree with Shuey. As a daily rider I ride in the rain a lot, and you learn to accept it for what it is...liquid sunshine lol. I trust myself and my tires to the limits I am willing to ride. Slow it down a bit, anticipate and adjust.
I think you've hit the nail on the head Mr.Ferret.
I am now a sunshine boy, well what passes for sunshine up here, and with that, I'll ride when it's nice mentality you lose the feel for wet weather riding. The only time I'm likely to encounter rain on the bike is on a long trip of a few days when you take what comes.
However I used to ride everyday, come what may and the UK gets it fair share of crap weather. A lot of that riding was at as fast as is safe speed and it's truly amazing how good tyres are in the wet and cold.
But finding that limit when you're not riding in the wet regularly is very difficult and made more difficult when you factor in cold. Warm and wet is always easier, or was for me at least.
I think most of us are unlikely to reach the tyres limits too often. I know I'm not that good.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
No problem riding in the rain. In fact on a long distance ride with 90 degree plus temperatures a brief rain shower is welcomed while on the road. On the highway i may drop it down to 70mph. Heavy frog strangling rain maybe 55mph. Now city ridding is a whole diffrent animal. To many variables as some has said rain, oil, coolant, gravel take on a whole diffrent set of properties when they are wet. And by the time you see them its too late. In urban area's when its raining experience has taught me to error on the side of caution.

Top Bottom