Do You Trust Your Tires In The Rain?

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Yes for areas where it rains a large percentage of the time but if riding in the rain is a small percentage of the overall riding then one could be stuck with inferior tires almost all the time. That's how Michelin Pilot Roads were to me. The only time they felt good were in the rain. The other 95% of the time they were inferior handing to the contemporary Metzelers or Bridgestones. All tires might grip well in the dry but not all tires feel good in the dry.
Much depends on the shape of the tire. Some tires tip in better than others. And then there's your comfort zone too. Some people like a tire that tips in quicker than others. Some don't.

The Continental RoadAttack III tires have worked well for me in the past. I've never felt a more confidence inspiring tire before. And...they ranked #2 for wet weather performance compared to the tires I have on the bike now.

Chris

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I had a real bad experience on my Goldwing last year with squared off 4 year old Dunlops on the rear. Put new Bridgestones on the rear, but since the front Dunlop was only a year old, I waited to replace it until this year. I have the tire, but my installer is in southern Indiana and I couldn't go out of state until Friday before last. Home to get it on this week. After that experience, I don't have nearly the confidence in the wet with the Wing as I did with my ST with PR 4 or 5s.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a real bad experience on my Goldwing last year with squared off 4 year old Dunlops on the rear. Put new Bridgestones on the rear, but since the front Dunlop was only a year old, I waited to replace it until this year. I have the tire, but my installer is in southern Indiana and I couldn't go out of state until Friday before last. Home to get it on this week. After that experience, I don't have nearly the confidence in the wet with the Wing as I did with my ST with PR 4 or 5s.
Bridgestone G704/G709 tires are still very competent on the 5th generation Wing.

TwoUpDragon.jpg

Bike
2007 ST1300
Do you think Kiyonari minds the rain? There is a point where bravery doesn't begin to describe something!
The first time I slipped like he did I would hi-side , something to consider when you get that unexpected slip is to try to not panic ( easier said than done) and trust the bike to do the right thing with the gyroscopic forces applied.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I live in Wales, and I ride daily (when the world isn't going insane). You get to like the rain, or you don't ride at all (if you live in Wales).

Warm is better, but cold & wet is what heated gear is for. I ride slower in the wet than I do in the dry, but that's more to do with visibility than it is comfort levels.

I DON'T CARE WHAT WATER TIGHT GEAR YOU HAVE!.. LOL! I have allot of gear and some really expensive stuff.. YOU GET WET. PERIOD!. You better show me a body condom to tell me you can stay dry.
I spent a long time, trying a lot of different wet weather gear, and by & large, unless you spend a lot of money, yes, you get wet (to at least some degree). However, with my current setup, it's yet to leak (18months or so of mixed weather). I have a two-piece textile setup lined with gore-tex, boots lined with gore-tex, gloves (one pair is gore-tex, another is heated instead). For biblical weather I use an Oxford one piece Rain Suit that I'm still convinced I could go scuba-diving & still stay dry wearing it.

The knack to staying dry, is the same as hiking in the mountains - layers.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
A wet day riding beats a dry day working.

...I was entering a freeway via a curved acceleration lane. I gave it full throttle and my front tire started to slide. I quickly let go of the throttle, and I was just fine.
There was a good element of luck in your outcome. Abrupt control input changes (brake or throttle) under a loss of traction situation are generally ill-advised. Better to gradually make the adjustment even if it causes you to transition through an unstable phase coming out. For instance, gradually backing out of a rear wheel slide can land you in a zone where the traction catches and releases before traction is regained. Snapping the throttle closed in that situation often nets you a high-side. In a front tire slide with full throttle, my response would have been to smoothly remove only enough throttle to restore traction. Once traction is restored, you can back out of the remaining throttle quickly if you wish. Some loss of traction appears gradually and some is sudden (like your black ice experience). Not knowing what kind of traction anomaly you may face supports the strategy of leaving a good margin for error. How much traction your tires can supply changes with each new foot of roadway - sometimes significantly. There are lots of things you can know: traction is worse when it first starts raining; painted lane markings are more slippery than the road; worn tires break traction easier than newer tires; etc. I was riding near Keyser, WV long ago when a light rain started. The roads had a film of coal dust, which the locals had come to expect, but which caught me totally off-guard. I topped a hill going into town and found a red light at the bottom. I started braking and broke both tires loose. The bike went full sideways to the right and my over-spirited response put me full sideways to the left. I guess that the only reason I did not fall down is that I didn't have enough traction to do so. Neither skill nor good judgment were responsible for my outcome. I stopped, still sideways, at the light. An old woman in a Lincoln was in the adjacent lane pointing her finger at me and giving the full treatment behind her closed window. I just shrugged and said, "Yep, I'm an idiot."

You can watch roadracers in the rain and confirm for yourself that the amount of lean possible in the wet is incredible. Of course, you can draw the same conclusion about dry traction watching them when it isn't wet. The unfortunate fact is that we are not them; our bikes are not their bikes, and a groomed racetrack is not a random roadway. Also, we don't have an ambulance on duty. I choose to back off in the wet and leave the heroics for the heroes.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I trust my Michelin Pilot Roads wet or dry. Always have. And I don't seem to have any problems keeping up with whoever I'm riding with whether it is wet or dry.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have commuted in the slush, although I wouldn't necessarily pick that. I'll ride in about anything if I have the right gear for it. Conditions are what they are, so the rider is the thing that has to change. If there's no standing water, I'm happy. If there is standing water, I prefer to be straight-up or slow when I go through it. Something that changed my perspective on riding in the rain is when I learned the trackside tire vendor I used recommended slicks right up to the point of standing water. No standing water means no need for sipes. So, for me the issue is not wet versus dry so much as water draining versus accumulating.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I agree with Shuey as well. The gear does make a difference.
Ditto... and proper gear makes all the difference...
Wet -> cold -> miserable -> exhausted -> no fun at all -> getting even colder -> risking hypothermia hence lack of concentration...
Whilst when warm and dry you'll stay alerted and safe, you snug down, comfortably behind the screen, the ride is pure joy, low traffic, the smells, the scenery, and I'm still gunning by those cars (or the occasional other rider)...
Quality garment and gear are priceless, I just close top vent, visor, the collar on my jacket and keep going... whilst observing like 98% of the other riders literally spaying off the roads in full panic over a little spritzing... :shrug2:

And the ST supports having fun while crossing a front system...
The protection, the planted ride, tame engine character, proper feedback... and there the tire comes into play, I for one love the wide safety margin of those G547/548 Exedras, the gentle reminding they give that it m i g h t be getting a b o u t to be critical, instead a sudden unexpected loss of grip out of nowhere without any warning I'd experienced on radials...
Requires practice of course, many miles to really bound with the bike, read/feel the signs, start to trust the bike's (and your) abilities...
Altering handlebars, controls and seats might impair a rider's connection with the motorcycle though...

Yep, white-lines, tar-snakes and oil/diesel spills are to be aware off, but focused, with my eyes on the road spotted well in advance...

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
........... The protection, the planted ride, tame engine character, proper feedback... and there the tire comes into play, I for one love the wide safety margin of those G547/548 Exedras, the gentle reminding they give that it m i g h t be getting a b o u t to be critical, instead a sudden unexpected loss of grip out of nowhere without any warning I'd experienced on radials...
That's an interesting observation regarding the grip and feedback of radial tires vs bias ply. Because radial tires generally offer wider performance envelopes they typically allow riders higher safety margins before it gets critical. Your many years and miles on the G547/548 no doubt give you great confidence.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
For me, it doesn't create tension or other concerns. What it does, however, is switching the bike and myself over to rain mode. That means the bike gets switched into rain mode (the ASC and ATC becomes much more sensitive, and yes, it has saved me more than once in rain mode), and the brain switches to rain mode as well.

I remember way back when starting riding in the rain, and it was not a pleasant experience. The tension was high, and when tension is high, you wear out quickly, your riding becomes, well, less smooth, and you just don't enjoy. If you can convince yourself to relax, and ride within your and the bike capabilities, everything becomes so much easier and more pleasant. Yes, it takes practice, and you have to learn to trust your bike and the tires you are using to have a decent wet / rain performance. If you don't, you'll never get rid of the tension.

The only thing I don't enjoy in the rain, is the reduced visibility. Even if using a pinlock, you will eventually have humidity and water ingress inside the shield if you stay on the road for hours.

I use (trying to) best combination of wet and dry grip performance in the tires I use, on the XR in particular, because I tend to ride it harder than the GSA, in all conditions.
I don't care how long the tires last, as long as I can trust them when I ride. Your bike and tires tent to let you know if they under-perform, ahead of things turning pear-shaped.

Good tires are more capable than you think they are, most of the time.

Good riding gear in general is absolute critical in my IMHO. Riding in the rain (with cold temps in particular), for hours will turn unpleasant and possibly dangerous faster than you think.

Current tires (XR): Conti Road Attack III

1594643351784.png

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Late to this one but I think most of us never really take our tires to the limit of the bike I have learned to trust my tires of course in rain I do slow down a bit but my bike and tires are far more capable than I am. As for wet weather gear I use KLIM and it has kept me dry in very heavy downpours. As was already said staying comfortable and dry takes away some of the stress of riding in foul weather.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like riding in the rain and this morning had ample opportunity. The Road 5s are fabulous on wet pavement but not so much on muddy grassy ground. I was leaving a rest stop on a rural road this morning and the RT got away from me. The rear tire lost traction in the bare muddy spot in the foreground and started going left and before it came to this end the bike rotated 270 degrees . I rolled off onto the grass with no damage but to my pride.

IMG_0601.jpg

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dang, Dave. I'm glad you're not hurt!

No damage to the bike?
None. It was kind of like a spiral. As the bike rotated the lean increased until gravity took over. The right hand mirror popped out but it popped right back in the mirror cover. It's like the ST's. I did find that I could not right the bike by myself after several tries. Having popped my lower back out trying to right the ST once I knew to just leave it be. I walked out to the road in the background and a few minutes later a truck came down the road and two young guys helped me lift it.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Whoa, glad to hear you're OK Dave! How's the bike?

I too had a little spill the other day, in gravel though... I was on a paved road and made a left turn, but didn't see the thick gravel in the middle of the turn... it blended well against the pavement. As I turned left and accelerated, the rear slid out right, causing my body to go left and subsequently my right wrist twisted the throttle. The bike spun 180° and I just let her go down gently and stepped off. The inside marks are my left boot trying to (unsuccessfully) ride it out...

1613255359043.png

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whoa, glad to hear you're OK Dave! How's the bike?

I too had a little spill the other day, in gravel though... I was on a paved road and made a left turn, but didn't see the thick gravel in the middle of the turn... it blended well against the pavement. As I turned left and accelerated, the rear slid out right, causing my body to go left and subsequently my right wrist twisted the throttle. The bike spun 180° and I just let her go down gently and stepped off. The inside marks are my left boot trying to (unsuccessfully) ride it out...

1613255359043.png
Paul, like me I'm glad you and the bike were not injured or damaged.

Top Bottom