Does ATGATT Work

I have been on the ground five times, sideswiped by a care once in Germany in the eighties and four times in six years on Malta, two cars, one dust on the road and one where the entire rear section collapsed in a pot crater.
I am glad to be a ATGATT rider... Having said that I am going to saddle up for a one Km ride to the lake in just my swimmies as it is over 40° outside.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I wear the gear. I've had a couple of buddies go down at around 25/35 mph and I can attest that camo cotton shirts and pants and sleeveless shirts produce acres of road rash. One got three broken ribs and a banged up knee with his slide. Not sure if gear will keep the ribs from breaking but it will help with the road rash. One of those two gave up riding after his get off. Don't think I would but until that day comes I'm still riding.

I finally broke down and bought Motoport jacket and pants. Don't mean to be a snob but if you are like me and you look in your gear closet and what you have spent over the years you could have sprung for the good stuff. Lot's of folks on here have sprung for the Klim and Aerostitch gear and it is pricey also. What I enjoy most of the Motoport is that it fits. I've never had an off the rack kit that fit well. I'm kinda tall with long arms, long legs, and normal torso from waist up. Either my pants are too short, jacket arms are too short, or sleeves too big and flapping all the time. Having that custom fit is something I wish I had done years earlier. The stretch Kevlar is comfortable and is approved for road racing. The body armour is plentiful and as mentioned in an earlier thread it stays in place where it is supposed to be.
Being close to Motorcycle Gear . com I can go down and try on what they have. Couldn't get the Klim to fit in all the right places so rode out to Motoport and had them do the measuring so I couldn't screw it up.

Skin grafts ain't cheap and also as earlier mentioned the daily maintenance to grow the skin back is no fun either. You climb on two wheels and you take your chances. We all know that. A little protection can go a long way. As Uncle Phil told the young buck in Tennessee, "I never knew anyone who planned on having an accident." That's why they call them accidents. Everyone of them in unplanned.

So this advice and $10 should get you something at Starbucks.

STinner

Retired
Bike
2016 Goldwing
2024 Miles
I've known of a man crashing in a corner and dying after hitting a mailbox post with full gear(hit the post with his helmet and broke his neck). I've also have a personal friend who
dropped his Ultra after a semi high side, got bruised up with no gear and lived. Stories abound of how riders have been hit and died less then a few miles from home. Ride how you will. How do you ride?
How do you feel comfortable? Riders will ride however they want to. This topic will divide not only good friends but family too. Somebody said above that you take your chances every time you climb aboard. If its your time to die, you will regardless what your wearing. Will ATGATT save your life or reduce the amount of injury........maybe; the chances are better relatively. but being aware of your surroundings, your style of riding and your experience will all count in the end.............until that elephant in the room makes its appearance.
Saw a doormat that said, "If you intend to break into this house make your peace with Jesus, because you're gonna meet Him if you do."

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have totaled two ST1100's- sorry @John OoSTerhuis and @Uncle Phil.

The first time I slid for quite a distance. I slid a long way but didn't hit anything, and because I had gear I had no injuries from sliding either.

The second time the bike was totaled and I had an ambulance visit. I flew a good twenty or thirty feet through the air before hitting the black top. I was pretty sore and bruised up in a lot of places, but again no injuries due to sliding because of gear.

I'll wear the gear. If all it does is keep my skin in place, that's a good benefit and I'm OK with that.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I've only had one "accident" technically, though I have dropped my bike a few times by accident. ;) I did a high side on a one lane country road at dusk when I was riding on a back road between RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath. I thought the turn would be gentle, and instead it was a hard 90 degree corner. That was back around 1981. Nothing damaged but the windshield and my ego.

That said, after a break in riding when I got back to the USA, I wear my definition of ATGATT. What we call ATGATT, is different than those who race call it.

One thing I'd urge everyone to consider is getting an airbag vest. The first time mine deployed was when I did an abrupt stop at a traffic light. I was getting ready to go when a person walked out in front of the bike. There was no choice, just grab the brake...and the next thing I knew I was looking up at the sky. As I laid there on the edge of the curb, I realized I didn't hurt. Yet the curb should've broken a rib or two. Oh...the airbag deployed.

The riding gear will keep the road rash away. The airbag will help with broken bones in the chest, neck and tailbone.

Chris

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
The airbag will help with broken bones in the chest, neck and tailbone.
My sincerest hope - I hardly ever go without anymore. I had a very minor spill last week on my mountain bike and I still felt sore the next day. The needles from the dried out berry brambles stuck in my skin was a nice touch, but a whole bunch better than road rash. To each his own. I may look like a dork to people who see me, but at least they see me.

Bike
ST1300 2012
I wear a mesh jacket with armor, helmet and gloves for every ride. When going more than 100 miles, armored pants.

That said, a few years ago when the car suddenly pulled out in front of me and I t-boned it ... flying over the car and bouncing down the road .... the helmet saved my head, the jacket was shredded and saved my skin, but because I had tucked into a fetal position before I hit - the armor in the elbow came between the road and my ribs, breaking most of them on that side.
Did the jacket save me from tons of road rash? Absolutely!! Did the armor cause a bit more damage than it should? I think so, although there was no damage to the elbow therein. It was a freak placement of my arm and the way I hit first on my side that forced it into my ribs.
Do I wear a similar jacket every time I ride now? Absolutely!!

I plan on being "Grampy" for a long time, so I will protect myself the best I can.

Scott

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
When going more than 100 miles, armored pants.
Not specific to pants, but to ATGATT.

If someone doesn't believe in or appreciate the full benefits of gear and chooses to ride without gear that's fine with me, to each his own.

However, if someone is a believer in gear and it's protective properties, why is there also a belief that there won't be a situation where those same protective properties will be needed unless an arbitrary distance or ride time has been exceeded?

We can just as easily and are more likely to get in to trouble close to home, since statistically that is where most accidents happen.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

If someone doesn't believe in or appreciate the full benefits of gear and chooses to ride without gear that's fine with me, to each his own.

However, if someone is a believer in gear and it's protective properties, why is there also a belief that there won't be a situation where those same protective properties will be needed unless an arbitrary distance or ride time has been exceeded?

We can just as easily and are more likely to get in to trouble close to home, since statistically that is where most accidents happen.
Because sometimes ATGATT is a PITA. For example: I commute 84miles round trip every day. I wear an old decrepit Stich most of the time. However, once the temps climb above 80 in the summer, I can't take the Stich, particularly in traffic. So I have a mesh Tourmaster armored jacked and some inexpensive Bilt mesh armored pants. However this requires dressing and undressing two more times. So if I'm just running a quick errand, jeans and the mesh jacket suffice when its hot. I've tried on every brand of riding jeans I can find, and the fit sucks in all of them, so regular jeans it is. Everyone has their version of ATGATT. Some will only ride fully kitted up, with an airbag vest. Others have a sliding variation, with a minimum, and for me that is boots, jeans, jacket and gloves. As good as full kit? No. But much, much better than shorts, T-shirt, no helmet, etc. Anticipated speeds for me play a larger role than distance. Around town, relatively low speeds, jeans work reasonably well. I've been down once in them and they shredded, but they kept the road rash minimal. Highway speeds+ mesh/armor/Stich is mandatory.

The within one mile of home accident statistic is interesting, and I have a theory. That is for the first few minutes in the beginning and end of a trip your head is not really in the game as it were. You are still thinking about whatever reason you got on the machine in the first place, or conversely, what you are going to do as soon as you get off. So the solution is simple. Force yourself to pay attention during these phases.

When I learned that most accidents happened within 25 miles of my house _ I moved.;)
Joking aside, the question always resolves to the difference between the odds and the probability. If you flip a coin 99 times and it comes up heads every time the probability against the next flip being heads is astronomical. But the odds are still 50/50. Our personal behavior can "bend" probability and reduce or increase danger. I'm solidly in the ATGMTT ("M"=most).

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I think this conversation is interesting to hear how people feel about wearing protective equipment while on a motorcycle.
In my opinion, the more gear you wear, the better chances of less to no injuries during a mishap. Some people only resort to wearing the gear "after" a fall, but at least you made it through the one before.
Paying attention as much as you can, doesn't mean you won't have an accident. It will lessen the probability and thats what we all try and do.
I'm most concerned about some failure on my bike happening while riding, causing me to drop the bike in traffic especially on the highway. Riding gear for me is a must have. I'm not fully armored up though. Helmet gloves and an armored jacket. Not the half lid hats that they call helmets either.
I do understand the urge though to ride in jeans and a tee shirt when the temps are high. It's not enjoyable in that weather to be "dressed up" and cruising slow or sitting in busy traffic. In Canada we get quite a "selection" of weather conditions to ride in so wearing gear, if you prefer, isn't just for protection, but for warmth as well.
We're having pretty warm temps here lately though and going to stay hot for a while similar to what's happening in the US. I see guys riding their bikes lately with half lid helmets, muscle shirt and flip fops? LOL ......... I always cringe when I see that and wouldn't be brave enough to try it. As we get older, the ground seems to get harder so my gear stays on.
Ride safe everyone!

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I was out this week on my Goldwing in the brutal heat we have been having.
Full attgatt, Shoei Neotec, Textile jacket and pants, riding boots, armoured gloves.
base layer jeans and t-shirt, cooling vest and recently picked up some cooling scarfs (amazon, run under cold water, wrap around neck)
Made the ride in 31+ C temps decent.

Not perfect, I like cooler temps but got my ‘therapy’ ride in, met a friend for coffee.

Many years ago I had to grow new skin on my arms from a serious road rash. I am not going through that ever again.
Couple of times a year I pull armour out of jacket and pants and they go in washing machine for freshen up.

Last week I was talking to a guy at a coffee shop in Port Hope, he was curious about my GW.
He was riding a ZX14 Concours with half helmet, t-shirt, shorts, sandals.

My neighbour dresses like a pirate when he rides his harley, short helmet, vest, jeans, chaps sometimes.
I look like an armadillo riding any of my bikes including my harley.
My neighbour is retired firefighter who has attended multiple crashes in his career, says he has to live the HD lifestyle.

to each their own, we all take our chances

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
RRRRR Captain Highliner. Have you ever been to sea Billy?(Canadian thing).l had a low sided from black ice.Maybe 20km/hour.Thank god for armoured clothing & full face helmet.They we’re pretty ground down.As well as $5000.00worth of tupper wear etc.Wife got back & rode ,trooper that she was.Both of our gear was replaced.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I wear the gear. I've had a couple of buddies go down at around 25/35 mph and I can attest that camo cotton shirts and pants and sleeveless shirts produce acres of road rash. One got three broken ribs and a banged up knee with his slide. Not sure if gear will keep the ribs from breaking but it will help with the road rash. One of those two gave up riding after his get off. Don't think I would but until that day comes I'm still riding.

I finally broke down and bought Motoport jacket and pants. Don't mean to be a snob but if you are like me and you look in your gear closet and what you have spent over the years you could have sprung for the good stuff. Lot's of folks on here have sprung for the Klim and Aerostitch gear and it is pricey also. What I enjoy most of the Motoport is that it fits. I've never had an off the rack kit that fit well. I'm kinda tall with long arms, long legs, and normal torso from waist up. Either my pants are too short, jacket arms are too short, or sleeves too big and flapping all the time. Having that custom fit is something I wish I had done years earlier. The stretch Kevlar is comfortable and is approved for road racing. The body armour is plentiful and as mentioned in an earlier thread it stays in place where it is supposed to be.
Being close to Motorcycle Gear . com I can go down and try on what they have. Couldn't get the Klim to fit in all the right places so rode out to Motoport and had them do the measuring so I couldn't screw it up.

Skin grafts ain't cheap and also as earlier mentioned the daily maintenance to grow the skin back is no fun either. You climb on two wheels and you take your chances. We all know that. A little protection can go a long way. As Uncle Phil told the young buck in Tennessee, "I never knew anyone who planned on having an accident." That's why they call them accidents. Everyone of them in unplanned.

So this advice and $10 should get you something at Starbucks.
My Cycleport (Mototport) is over 17 years old... going strong... even the liner is great!!!! I've only had to replace a couple snaps and one YKK zipper.

motoport.jpeg

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
My Cycleport (Mototport) is over 17 years old... going strong... even the liner is great!!!! I've only had to replace a couple snaps and one YKK zipper.

motoport.jpeg
I am assuming that has softened up after 17 years. I had the full mesh like that but just couldn't do the 3/4 length. Those suits weigh more than you think, eh? Do you have matching pants? Do they scuff the paint? I got the stretch mesh which I thought was a little more pliable. One thing for sure though, you go down with that jacket on you aren't going to loose any hide.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I am assuming that has softened up after 17 years. I had the full mesh like that but just couldn't do the 3/4 length. Those suits weigh more than you think, eh? Do you have matching pants? Do they scuff the paint? I got the stretch mesh which I thought was a little more pliable. One thing for sure though, you go down with that jacket on you aren't going to loose any hide.
Yeah, it's much more pliable now than then. :biggrin: I didn't do the pants, overkill to me...Firstgear or Tourmaster overpants on top of jeans if needed.

I met a friend for lunch many years ago, dropped the jacket on the backrest of my chair, and over it went! Heavier than it looks... but it keeps you cool!

Top Bottom