Drink systems

Bike
2006 ST1300
Warm weather is here (yes, even in northern NH!) and I get dehydrated very easily. I have seen several drink systems on bikes that look really cool when I was at Moonshine. I currently have one of the small Camelback style soft bags, but want something larger. I like the big jugs some have, that are set up for a drink tube. I even heard someone talking about one that has a pump built in. That might be a bit more than I need, but I'd like to check them out.

So if anyone has suggestions, photos, and/or links to where I can purchase a complete system or the parts to make one, I'd appreciate them.

Jim

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Here's mine - I think it's 2 liter. Will hold 1 liter of Gatorade plus full ice. It's sitting on the rear foot peg, bungied to the frame and the grab handle, with a long tube to drink from. Works great and is cheap. I also have the same thing in a 1 gallon size.

I already had the cooler, which I think was about $10 or less. About $1-2 for the hose at Home Depot and the bungie cords $2.

Attachments

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Here's mine - I think it's 2 liter. Will hold 1 liter of Gatorade plus full ice. It's sitting on the rear foot peg, bungied to the frame and the grab handle, with a long tube to drink from. Works great and is cheap. I also have the same thing in a 1 gallon size.

I already had the cooler, which I think was about $10 or less. About $1-2 for the hose at Home Depot and the bungie cords $2.
That seems to be the Iron Butt solution. I think someone made a foot-peg cooler adapter....

Avtrician

The only problem with that much drink to have on the go, is what to do when you have to go. After all, dont want to waste time stopping to have to go :)

Bike
2005 ST1300
Jesus do we go crazy for no reason....
You'd think we are going up in the Space Shuttle...

A 2 liter camelbak with water and some ice...stick the tube up through the bottom of your helmet and drink to your heart's content.

good for a least half a day staying cold...break for lunch, refill and you are good to do..
Next 'problem'? LOL

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There's always different options, let people discuss them. It may not be EXACTLY what YOU would do but having an open discussion helps people see what will work for them.

Have you tried Yoga?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Camelbaks large enough for the desert make your back sweat and are just plain heavy.
Water bags in tank bags use space that I use for my 'gotta get to' stuff and put electronics at risk.
Containers on back pegs have a *lot* of tubing involved (and hot water if you don't allow all the water back into the container).

Somewhere there is a trade off.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Camelbaks large enough for the desert make your back sweat and are just plain heavy.
Water bags in tank bags use space that I use for my 'gotta get to' stuff and put electronics at risk.
Containers on back pegs have a *lot* of tubing involved (and hot water if you don't allow all the water back into the container).

Yup, I usually fill my camelbak up 1/2 way as I also will have a duffel on the back seat and a full camelbak pushes me forward. I haven't tried the tankbag thing yet but looks promising, I just don't like how tankbags can scratch your paint if you aren't careful.

I'm strapped a camelback on top of my duffel and used an extended tube when I had the wing but haven't tried it on the ST yet, that was a good system for me.

Bike
2005 ST1300

psst...(Poster is from NH) LOL

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
When I did the ride to PuttSTOC I used my camelback inside a soft cooler full of ice I strapped/bungeed it to the back seat and used 1 extra length of tubing. I also insulated the tube. It worked well for me. Staying hydrated is very important especially in the desert.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only problem with that much drink to have on the go, is what to do when you have to go. After all, dont want to waste time stopping to have to go :)
So you have the fresh water tank with drink tube on one side and a collection tank for the "other" with a catheter on the other side. :)
Just don't get confused! :eek:

Bike
2005 ST1300
So you have the fresh water tank with drink tube on one side and a collection tank for the "other" with a catheter on the other side. :)
Just don't get confused! :eek:
DOH!!!!!!! As our British friends say..You would sure be pissed if that happened :)
(connect the catheter to the gas tank overflow tube!)...:)

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Yup, I usually fill my camelbak up 1/2 way as I also will have a duffel on the back seat and a full camelbak pushes me forward. I haven't tried the tankbag thing yet but looks promising, I just don't like how tankbags can scratch your paint if you aren't careful.

I'm strapped a camelback on top of my duffel and used an extended tube when I had the wing but haven't tried it on the ST yet, that was a good system for me.
Me either. If you get the Bags Connection from Twisted Throttle it's not an issue. I have a powered tank bag setup and it's nice. I'm not sure if my camelback will fit in the DayPack like my Luggage Locker though.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I have a Camelback, I just don't really like it much. Back seat has camping gear and tankbag is full of electronics. 2 liter jug on the peg works for me. Without electronics in the tankbag, I'd probably go that route. Do what works for you. All I know is that it worked great on my 2000 mile trip. Just blow back to empty the tube back to the cooler when done drinking and there's never anything hot.

I went through 4 liters in 750 miles at 99 degrees through Georgia last week and did not have to pee before fuel stops. I know some LD riders who will use a catheter to save a stop, and even some who will just "let it fly" for the "cooling effect" of moisture in the breeze. Whatever floats your boat and serves your purpose works for me. I would rather be riding in front of you if you use the "cooling effect" method, though. :radleak:

Bike
1987 concours
Okay so now you have me interested I want to see someones elaborate system I know someone has made a luxery model somewhere just for kicks. so show it off for us!!
Kbear

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Y'all have been busy today! Thanks for the replies and suggestions. To make several quick points-

-Yes, I'm in NH but I ride as far away from here as I can get. If my new tire got here in time (not due until Tuesday...aaarrrggg) I was considering a weekend ride to either New Orleans or somewhere else on the gulf. 3400 miles in 3 1/2 days would be considered outside of New England, I think. I also want to be set up for when I get the chance to get out west.

-I don't like the actual Camelbacks (I already own one) because they don't fit me, especially with gear on. I usually strapped mine to the top box on the KLR, but I want something larger now.

-Yea, sticking a tube in a water jug is easy...I just wanted to see what others have set up, to see ideas for containers, and for container locations.

-I'm not too worried about hot water...as long as I'm getting water. As I mentioned, I dehydrate very easily (started after a head injury many years ago...they can really throw off the body's chemistry). I can always fill the jug with ice (benefit of them over Camelbacks) too at least keep the main supply cool. I drink enough that the water in the tube usually doesn't have a chance to get very cool.

-My kidneys are awesome. I never have to go all day at work, even with drinking a lot (today, for example, I had a liter of lemonade, two 16 oz waters, a coke, a sunkist, and a Hawaiian Punch...didn't have to "go" until I got home after work). If it comes to it, I've thought about a Stadium Pal...but I don't think I would need one. Even if I were to use an aux. gas tank and drink a lot, I should be able to hold out for 2 tanks of gas between "pit stops".

Keep the ideas coming...

Jim

Top Bottom