Drink systems

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
A 2 liter camelbak with water and some ice...stick the tube up through the bottom of your helmet and drink to your heart's content.

good for a least half a day staying cold...break for lunch, refill and you are good to do..
Next 'problem'? LOL
I guess you haven't tried to cross the Mojave Desert in the middle of a summer day, with 120F temperatures. A whole half day? Not based on my experience!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I use two good products. A two liter bladder and a Polar Bear soft cooler. Put a small bag of ice in the cooler and lay the bladder on top. It can be strapped on top of your load and the cooler keeps ice for a loooong time. Use a "KeyBack" to attach the end of the tube to your tank bag.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I have a cheap Wally World hydration pack that I extended the tube on. When by myself, I strap it to the front of the top box. When 2-up it goes on top of the top box.

+1 on "Blow back" to keep water in the tube from getting hot. Also, the bladder will inflate and the next time you bite the valve, the pressure will push the water to you so you don't have to suck much.

+1 on the "key back" or badge retractor. I attach the retractor to my tank bag, hose to it, hose runs under my left thigh to the bladder. Take a drink, "blow back" and let go!

There are times when I wish this setup had a larger capacity.

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
-I don't like the actual Camelbacks (I already own one) because they don't fit me, especially with gear on.

I had D-rings sewn onto the back of my jacket to attach the camelbak to.

CamelbakDRings.JPG

-I can always fill the jug with ice (benefit of them over Camelbacks) too at least keep the main supply cool. I drink enough that the water in the tube usually doesn't have a chance to get very cool.

I take mine into a convenience store during gas stops, fill it with ice, then top off with bottled water. Provides plenty of cold water for the wife and I until the next gas stop. I usually buy a gallon jug of water, top off my camelbak, recharge our cool vests and drink the rest!

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
WalMart gel pack water bladder with removable hose (about $20). Insulate with a simple pouch of Reflectix insulation. Cut to size and sew pouch on sewing machine loaded with upholstery thread. Make an outer pouch of Polarfleece.

Freeze the bladder at 75% full of water with air pockets at the fill cap and hose connector. Just before use, after the water in the bladder is frozen solid, top off with as much water as it will hold. You will need to run tap water over the hose connector and fill cap to defrost then when first out of the freezer. Encase in the Reflectix pouch and then the Polarfleece pouch. Fits perfect in the bottom of my tank bag.

Keyback and velcro on the tank bag keep the hose handy and keep it from flopping around. Rider and pillion can drink from the stock tubing while under way with full face helmets. Don't forget to blow back after drinking or you will be wishing you had a coffee pack in your mouth for all that hot water!

Best of all, I have ice water for 24-48 hours depending on ambient temps...and that's on an ST1300's hot tank!

Top Bottom